Delisted #20: Jacob Townsend - Not offered a contract for 2021, off to the suns as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

20 - [PLAYERCARD]Jacob Townsend[/PLAYERCARD]-2.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2020 (Category A Rookie)
Last Game Played: Round 17, 2020 (omitted)
Injury Status: n/a

Last edited:

Rednblak

Debutant
Feb 1, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
just imagine ambrose back in defence, smith in the midfield, and townsend in the forwardline laying bone crunching tackles. Might just be the player we needed to give us a ruthless edge

CBombers17

Premium Platinum
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Just read on the Cats board that he took out Menegola? There was no accusation of anything illegal. If he gets stuck into them plus straight kicking week in week out for 1 or 2 and he will be a good addition.

Hard as a cats head, just loves the contest.

Honestly just looks like he wants to hurt blokes, and if he kicks goals it's a bonus. Very happy with the pickup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Exactly the kind of player we need in the forward half, I can see why he fell out of Richmond's best 22 given his limitations and their defensive intensity across the entire playing group, but for us he really adds a presence we need to show the rest of the team the level they all need to bring.

He just wills himself to attack the contest repeatedly, if our other forwards start to do the same we'll be a significantly better side. Never seems to do the half-hearted arm throw pretending to try to pressure, he will literally throw his body at the opposition instead.

Easy to see why he was well liked by Richmond supporters.

NAB777

Club Legend
Jul 21, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I see nothing wrong with having Devon Smith & Jacob Townsend in this side. We've lacked an edge for a while, and all top sides have hard heads in them.

Kakkle

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life
Jun 2, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Los Angeles Dodgers
Seen enough in the first half to put my hand up. Although much of the negativity was based around the talk that he would play as an inside midfielder.

He's much needed sandpaper, that doesn't make a dent in the salary cap. As long he plays right on the edge and doesn't go over it, he's going to be a very important player for us.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Seen enough in the first half to put my hand up. Although much of the negativity was based around the talk that he would play as an inside midfielder.

He's much needed sandpaper, that doesn't make a dent in the salary cap. As long he plays right on the edge and doesn't go over it, he's going to be a very good player for us.

I was in the same boat but it seems there's no downside to disliking club recruitment decisions. Either you're pleasantly surprised or you're proven correct

He's much needed sandpaper, that doesn't make a dent in the salary cap. As long he plays right on the edge and doesn't go over it, he's going to be a very good player for us.

Exactly the type of player we needed in the team. Goals aside, he makes a contest, he blocks he tackles to hurt.
For a team like us who have for so long coasted by not doing that it was such a good thing that we went out and got him. It shows that we know what we need and hopefully as we go forward it isn't just left to him, that it inspires others to do so.

It would seem that all those Richmond supporters banging on about his hardness were onto something!

Brilliant first half in the red sash.
Shoosh. Don't tell them that.

In all seriousness, has been great.

Great debut for you guys. Obviously didn't get involved as much in the second half, but to be fair, neither did the majority of your forward line after half time.

But that is what you get from Towner. 100% effort, intensity and a hunger to do the hard stuff. Loves to tackle to hurt and always bumps and shepherds for teammates. He is the type of player that you LOVE being on your team because he just does the team thing and busts his gut all day.

Terrific pickup for you guys!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back