Delisted #20: Jacob Townsend - Not offered a contract for 2021, off to the suns as a DFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys and girls, well i'm not going to sugarcoat anything here. Towner is finished at AFL level, his purple patch ( final 5 games of 2017 and round 1 2018 ) was 2 years ago and hasn't got near it since.

Will be a good pick up for your VFL team though as that is his level now, if he gets an AFL game for you guys it means you have been decimated with injury.

Thats only a matter of an opinion. Also a role player like of which I was alluding Townsend to become generally means they are not elite based in talent.

Remember Wallis could hardly get a game at 1 stage it wasn't until he found a niche in backline that he became established and fulfilled a role.

As for Rooke 1 of my all time favorite non Essendon players and it wasnt based on talent or his skills.

Rooke was selected week out and week in for Geelong - Wallis debuted at seventeen, took years to find out the demands of AFL footy, had an injury cursed career and more importantly was CHB in the all conquering 2000 team.

Define AFL level football?

He played in a premiership side and was a big part of the intangibles that built Richmond into the on field powerhouse they have become.

He brings to our club something that wasn't available in the draft - someone who has played at the level and can maybe show this selfish team what playing for your team mates is. Even if he can't help the senior players hopefully in the VFL he can show our youth what to do so when they get their chance this club actually accomplish something.

48 games in eight years strongly suggests Townsend can't consistently play AFL level footy - He's been let go by two clubs

Define AFL level football?

He played in a premiership side and was a big part of the intangibles that built Richmond into the on field powerhouse they have become.

He brings to our club something that wasn't available in the draft - someone who has played at the level and can maybe show this selfish team what playing for your team mates is. Even if he can't help the senior players hopefully in the VFL he can show our youth what to do so when they get their chance this club actually accomplish something.

Play 48 games in eight suggests you aren't at the required standard - Being let go by two clubs suggests you aren't AFL standard - And the early part of the 48 games was in the GWS team of youngsters, in which he had a more mature body compared to some of his teammates - He got lucky in 4 games at the end of 2017 which has occurred on many occasions.

The way some are going on you would think we sold the farm to get him..:rolleyes:
Cheap rookie who came from a club with a team culture. If he does not play a game the minimum he does is help change ours.

Play 48 games in eight suggests you aren't at the required standard - Being let go by two clubs suggests you aren't AFL standard - And the early part of the 48 games was in the GWS team of youngsters, in which he had a more mature body compared to some of his teammates - He got lucky in 4 games at the end of 2017 which has occurred on many occasions.
How was he used at the back end of 2017 compared with how he was used previously?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dodoro says he can play as a big-bodied midfielder - It must be what he writes on every player profile.

Is that the list full now??

I love Towna, had a bit to do with him over the years and have seen nearly all his games, VFL and AFL. You guys have a ripper. In training and off field, he will help the young kids by showing how hard he works. He is deadset like a bull at training and will smash himself into every contest and leave nothing on the park. He did so much for our VFL program and I credit the growth in our kids in part due to towna being the example.

My worry though is that he is not an inside player. Due to his size and his tackles, people think it, and in truth Towna thinks it but every time he has been tried in that role, it has not worked. Now I love the guy but have been watching footy all my life ( 47 years old here), now im no expert but his major limitation, when in the guts, he has no footy IQ. His awarness is poor and he cant anticipate the ball when in traffic. Its why in the AFL when we played him in the guts, he was soon pushed out because even though he works his ass off, and tries 100% opposition midfields just play through his man.

Now in the VFL, he did well because the games slower, allows him that sec or two to read the play, even then though he got found out more often then not. Now where IMO he will be perfect for you is either as a lead up forward that will hurt defenders around him. He will be like an enforcer type and bash into defenders that are on your quality forwards and create space for them, in that role he will work. Another role that would suit him is give him a job one a player. He has an OK tank and is a good size. Give him a target to follow and hunt and he will perform well, even though he has no awarness he does have great instinct.....so if a player he is minding brings him to the ball, then he can create, he has shown that ability consistently while with us......low disposals but huge hurt factor when he got it.

Anyway, stoked he has another opportunity and seriously hope he plays many years with you guys.

I love Towna, had a bit to do with him over the years and have seen nearly all his games, VFL and AFL. You guys have a ripper. In training and off field, he will help the young kids by showing how hard he works. He is deadset like a bull at training and will smash himself into every contest and leave nothing on the park. He did so much for our VFL program and I credit the growth in our kids in part due to towna being the example.

My worry though is that he is not an inside player. Due to his size and his tackles, people think it, and in truth Towna thinks it but every time he has been tried in that role, it has not worked. Now I love the guy but have been watching footy all my life ( 47 years old here), now im no expert but his major limitation, when in the guts, he has no footy IQ. His awarness is poor and he cant anticipate the ball when in traffic. Its why in the AFL when we played him in the guts, he was soon pushed out because even though he works his ass off, and tries 100% opposition midfields just play through his man.

Now in the VFL, he did well because the games slower, allows him that sec or two to read the play, even then though he got found out more often then not. Now where IMO he will be perfect for you is either as a lead up forward that will hurt defenders around him. He will be like an enforcer type and bash into defenders that are on your quality forwards and create space for them, in that role he will work. Another role that would suit him is give him a job one a player. He has an OK tank and is a good size. Give him a target to follow and hunt and he will perform well, even though he has no awarness he does have great instinct.....so if a player he is minding brings him to the ball, then he can create, he has shown that ability consistently while with us......low disposals but huge hurt factor when he got it.

Anyway, stoked he has another opportunity and seriously hope he plays many years with you guys.

Thanks for this analysis.

Will be good for our kids to get a hard edge with him around. Worth it for that. Probably will end up rotating with stringer I'd imagine.

Thanks for this analysis.

Will be good for our kids to get a hard edge with him around. Worth it for that. Probably will end up rotating with stringer I'd imagine.

That is how I hope you do it. I sorta just wanted to help adjust some expectations. He is NOT and inside midfielder, just does not have the tools BUT unlike some other posters, including tiger posters, he is a talent just very one dimensional. You guys do have a need for a HHF how will offer 1st,2nd,3rd,and 4th efforts in a contest and put the team first. 100% I bet you will see one of your creative forwards get the ball and having there defender right on them, then in a split second BANG and towna has just blocked or spear tackled the defender to allow you forward a clean pick up and shot on goal.

That is how I hope you do it. I sorta just wanted to help adjust some expectations. He is NOT and inside midfielder, just does not have the tools BUT unlike some other posters, including tiger posters, he is a talent just very one dimensional. You guys do have a need for a HHF how will offer 1st,2nd,3rd,and 4th efforts in a contest and put the team first. 100% I bet you will see one of your creative forwards get the ball and having there defender right on them, then in a split second BANG and towna has just blocked or spear tackled the defender to allow you forward a clean pick up and shot on goal.
Thank you for the analysis. My original post about him being an inside midfielder was a quote from Adrian Dodorro (and was a subtle dig at him trying to turn players into midfielders.)
"Jacob has the ability to apply pressure in our forward line, but we are also confident that he can play inside as a big-bodied midfielder."
If you could kindly send your comments to our list manager would be greatly appreciated.

48 games in eight years strongly suggests Townsend can't consistently play AFL level footy - He's been let go by two clubs

If that time was at Carlton or the Suns then it would be a serious red flag but not being a regular at Richmond reads that he isn't good enough to break into the best side.

Josh Jenkins couldn't get a game at Essendon yet has done okay at Adelaide.

I don't except great things from Townsend but if he can add some hardness around the contest making it easier for the other mids to get their hands on the ball then he has done his job and he can drop into the forward line if needed.

We do not need him to be "the" inside player. We just need a half forward who can push up the ground a bit and put some physical pressure on.Someone who will put a few blocks on and provide some protection for Merrett and Shiel. On top of that as you said he brings someone who has a bit of team culutre about him which we lack.

That is actually what Essendon needs, even around ruck contests there are times when Essendon could do with someone that can stick a big tackle or create space by blocking. If he can be a manic tackler like Smith then there will be a place in the side for him. Essendon already has a number of good speedy mids to take advantage of any space created by that pressure.

Wallis played 63 in his first 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back