Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - kicks 5 vs Essendon, then 6 vs Richmond, then 9 vs GCS to finish with 71 for '23 - 2023 All Australian - Congrats Souv!

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I rate Westhoff, but I'm not convinced that Larkey could play the intercept back role, as a mobile ruckman, or as a tall winger like Westhoff does. He's a unique footballer.

While Westhoff is a competent forward, I also think Larkey will have him well covered as a natural KPF going forward.

I hope he comes in and takes Waite's spot next year. There's a lot to like about him and I think he would be a decent foil for Brown. I wouldn't be surprised to see him kick 35+ next year if he played every game in the senior side, which would be a great return for a pick 70-something KPF who still has a lot of development to come.
That's what he did at junior level. I think he's too similar to Brown for them to play alongside each other as forwards and will need to be versatile in other roles. We'll see though.

Was surprised to see that Larkey is listed as 198cm/93kg, Tom Lynch is 199cm/98kg, another 4-5 kg should do the trick. :D
Drew was a 101kg when he finished up. Larkey gets to 98 and he could be a handful.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Reckons he’s put on 10. What’s his ideal playing weight? Wouldn’t want to be over 100, surely?
Would have thought around 97/98 kgs next year. Similar build/height to Petrie I reckon and from memory he ended up playing at about 100kgs.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Anyone else get the impression he’s not quite 100% sure what he has to do to get a game?
Sounded in the interview like he knows exactly what he needs to do. He said Brad told him its endurance. Be able to run both ways & apply defensive pressure.

Much less concerning than the McKay review.

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sounded in the interview like he knows exactly what he needs to do. He said Brad told him its endurance. Be able to run both ways & apply defensive pressure.

Much less concerning than the McKay review.
It was the “I hope that’s what I need to do” afterwards that made me question it. Haven’t heard McKays one yet.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Where the Coleman was won with 65 goals

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure if you can think you're stiff if you're going at 2 and a bit goals a game in the reserves and your senior counterpart is doing the same in the AFL.

He knows what he needs to do to take Waite's spot. He says it in the interview.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I don't know what rubbery stats we use these days for weight. But if Nick is a genuine 93kg then by the look of him he needs to get to 103kg to be a proper AFL player.

And I'm not talking a Carey/Brown/Hawkins build. Just to get to a Drew strength level.

ansonholt

Premiership Player
May 12, 2009
All in Sunbury
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Larkey and Ben Mckay built a great preformance base for next year. Really excited about these two blokes.

They're the two most consistent VFL performers from this year NOT to play senior footy. They should both be moved up the pecking order in 2019. Especially Larkey with Waite retired. McKay must play as well, regardless.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Anybody listen to his end of year interview? I was left feeling a little angry that this kid hasn't received the support he needs from the club.
Are we that busy working on our AFL side that the growing kids can't access a regular nutritionist, gym plan, guidance, etc?

Back