Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Kicked 5 in the match sim today.

Obviously it's not a full practice match so it can hard to gauge what the game was like, but it's impressive nonetheless.

I honestly think he might be given an early crack to make W80's spot his own.

Obviously it's not a full practice match so it can hard to gauge what the game was like, but it's impressive nonetheless.

Someone needs to.

It's currently an Annabel Chong sized hole on the team sheet.

Doesn't play like Waite.

Doesn't play like Waite.
Oh, I know, but IMO not only do we have room for another KPF on top of Wood and Ziebell (who are currently battling injury problems anyway), but Brown seems to play better when he has a second KPF giving him somewhat of a chop out.

He's still skinny and I suspect he's still another pre-season away from holding down a regular spot in the ones, but my hunch says that he'll be given an early opportunity.

Oh, I know, but IMO not only do we have room for another KPF on top of Wood and Ziebell (who are currently battling injury problems anyway), but Brown seems to play better when he has a second KPF giving him somewhat of a chop out.

He's still skinny and I suspect he's still another pre-season away from holding down a regular spot in the ones, but my hunch says that he'll be given an early opportunity.

Mason is small forward in a kpp body - brown needs a second big man down there.
The thing is that larkey won’t take much heat off him.
In saying that on the souva train

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Larkey is going to play 5-10 games this year
IMO. Potentially a little more even.

Scott likes his 3 tall forwards. So on the face of it that’s brown, wood and ziebell. That’s the smallest 3 tall structure he’s ever used. But even if form warrants this a success, Wood ain’t playing 22 games. Surely no one believes otherwise?

So Larkey in for wood.

I wonder at some point if we could see Larkey as the "true" FF and Brown playing further up the ground.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

That is exactly how I see it mate. Larkey is an even more classical full forward in style than BBB, whereas BBB has the tools to make a very capable CHF.

Larkey is going to play 5-10 games this year
IMO. Potentially a little more even.

Scott likes his 3 tall forwards. So on the face of it that’s brown, wood and ziebell. That’s the smallest 3 tall structure he’s ever used. But even if form warrants this a success, Wood ain’t playing 22 games. Surely no one believes otherwise?

So Larkey in for wood.
Wood always plays better if he’s not the focal point. I can see the three of them plus ziebell, working well together.
As a collective thou they’d need to up their pressure numbers.

Souva to FF and Bb to CHF

might be tad bit light in the frame just yet to line up at FF, would have to split defenders with a bigger body someone like Ziebs for example. I do like the idea of BBB moving around the ground taking pack marks, takes the pressure of Goldstein.

might be tad bit light in the frame just yet to line up at FF, would have to split defenders with a bigger body someone like Ziebs for example. I do like the idea of BBB moving around the ground taking pack marks, takes the pressure of Goldstein.
With a lighter frame than a KPF, he would probably have the wheels on them. With potentially better delivery into the forward line, and BBB still taking a bigger body, he might just be the perfect decoy. JZ will take a strong defender and that still leaves whathisname Wood floating about for a few games, as well as the boy Garner who is due a stroke of injury luck. It's almost strange to have too many options. Remember trying to fit Carey, Longmire and McCarthy in the same forward line?

Remember trying to fit Carey, Longmire and McCarthy in the same forward line?
Or when Carey and Longmire played second fiddle to McAdam.

The thing I like about Larkey is that he seems to have footy smarts. And while not physically ready in body contests with some of the big defenders, he is mobile and gets into good positions. Looking forward to seeing him in action in the pre-season games.

With a lighter frame than a KPF, he would probably have the wheels on them. With potentially better delivery into the forward line, and BBB still taking a bigger body, he might just be the perfect decoy. JZ will take a strong defender and that still leaves whathisname Wood floating about for a few games, as well as the boy Garner who is due a stroke of injury luck. It's almost strange to have too many options. Remember trying to fit Carey, Longmire and McCarthy in the same forward line?
Not to mention, Peter Mann, Mark Stevens, Mark Roberts, Corey McKernan, at times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back