Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

The forward line was so much more potent last year when we had that 2nd key forward in Waite. Allowed Wood & Ziebell a bit more free reign.

Larkey is obviously not going to replace Waite’s output, but the benefits of having him (as the extra tall) in the side could be 3-fold. These benefits are assuming he can have a bit of scoreboard and aerial impact:

- Makes it less likely that Brown gets double & triple teamed

- Frees up Ziebell & Wood to play on lesser opponents making them more dangerous.

- Gives us another tall, marking option.

If Larkey could contribute 20 goals and take the focus a wee bit off Brown while freeing up Ziebell/Wood it would go a long way to us pushing the top end of the 8.
I agree with all of this..
Although my worry is as a collective they’d have to up pressure numbers or we could see a few teams walk it out of defence ala bulldogs last year.

The forward line was so much more potent last year when we had that 2nd key forward in Waite. Allowed Wood & Ziebell a bit more free reign.

Larkey is obviously not going to replace Waite’s output, but the benefits of having him (as the extra tall) in the side could be 3-fold. These benefits are assuming he can have a bit of scoreboard and aerial impact:

- Makes it less likely that Brown gets double & triple teamed

- Frees up Ziebell & Wood to play on lesser opponents making them more dangerous.

- Gives us another tall, marking option.

If Larkey could contribute 20 goals and take the focus a wee bit off Brown while freeing up Ziebell/Wood it would go a long way to us pushing the top end of the 8.
Being a smart forward too opens up space for Ziebell/Brown/Wood, which is when we are at our best.

Although my worry is as a collective they’d have to up pressure numbers or we could see a few teams walk it out of defence ala bulldogs last year.
It's why our midfield need to shut down the transition and block the corridor and get numbers behind the footy. Our forward pressure is ok, but is not something we should base our game around seem we only have a few genuine small pressure forwards. Play to our strengths.

I get the feeling that Larkey is going to get every opportunity in the JLT to make CHF/FF his own.

I think the coaching stuff really want another genuine tall to support Larkey.

They recognise that Wood is going to struggle when playing on keyposition defenders much like Ziebell (although much less so).

If Larkey plays and commands the 2nd key position defender then it really frees up Wood & Ziebell. Those guys will dominate a 3rd/4th tall.

I stand by this statement. In our forays forward last week we were so Brown focused it was ridicolous.

Larkey or Watson must play this week.

I stand by this statement. In our forays forward last week we were so Brown focused it was ridicolous.

Larkey or Watson must play this week.

It wouldn't hurt to let Brown play 2nd fiddle anyway to freshen up and get him moving around wing-HF rather than the club treating him like Tony Lockett.

The question has to be asked; we're without a Waite like forward, we have a single stay at home tall forward right now in Ben Brown, Campbell isn't even being played consistently CHF or FF.

So, when are we gonna pull the trigger on Larkey?

He's been kicking goals consistently despite low opportunities week in and week out.

I'd be bringing in a genuine high speed small forward (a la Taylor) and asking them to apply pressure speed and crumbing. Atley for all his speed isn't really a pressure defensive forward so I'd probably push him back to HB . Forward line would be Brown, JZ, Higgins, Taylor, Larkey and Turner. Good mix IMO.

Best in the 2’s.

It’s evident we had a half forward void against the Hawks.

If he can make a contest and run out the game (they’re the big if’s) - BRING HIM IN!

He's not really a half forward though. he's a full forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not really a half forward though. he's a full forward.

He’ll play in the forward 50 though, in tandem with BBB.

Call it what you will.

An upgrade on Campbell in the forward half who is more mobile and can apply pressure on the way out.

If Brown takes 1 or 2 defenders, he’s a chance to snag 2,3 or even more. That’s what we need.

He’ll play in the forward 50 though, in tandem with BBB.

Call it what you will.

An upgrade on Campbell in the forward half who is more mobile and can apply pressure on the way out.

If Brown takes 1 or 2 defenders, he’s a chance to snag 2,3 or even more. That’s what we need.

Okay, then JZ in the mix makes us too slow. I agree the kid should play ahead of Campbell depending on the opposition. DEFINITELY against Hawthorn.

Larkey: FF
Brown: CHF
JZ: Pocket

Turner, Atley and Ahern would be my preferred blend.

BUT!

We must then institute a game plan that favors this set up. Overcooking the football certainly wouldn't help it.

Okay, then JZ in the mix makes us too slow. I agree the kid should play ahead of Campbell depending on the opposition. DEFINITELY against Hawthorn.

Larkey: FF
Brown: CHF
JZ: Pocket

Turner, Atley and Ahern would be my preferred blend.

BUT!

We must then institute a game plan that favors this set up. Overcooking the football certainly wouldn't help it.

Agreed... I’d go Turner, Simpkin & Ahern. I thought Ats was good back. But agreed in principle.

I’m not against JZ pinch hitting in the middle either though - rotating others such as Higgins, Hall & Cunners forward. JZs good for clearances - just not very precise ones!

Also, if the opposition aren’t set up with an extra man from the centre bounce restarts, it’s not as damaging on the rebound with the hack kick forward KZ will inevitably deliver.

We really should back our forwards in to make a contest and keep it in - if it’s 1 on 1.

What I hated last week was seeing long bombs to BBB and Campbell and them being outmarked. Shouldn’t happen. Or, it being run out easily from defense from a spoil. Killed us.

Small forward, tackle, keep it in our forward 50 so we set up = win.

I have my doubts about Nicks ability to become an AFL standard key forward, however the only way we'll ever find out either way is by playing him. He's consistently too good for the VFL and we're crying out for a mobile key forward. Simply has to play next week and deserves an extended crack at it.

I actually think he needs to play more VFL to work on his deficiencies which are unknown to me, the public or Nick, but the coach knows what they are. When there is sufficient evidence that those deficiencies have been corrected with at least a full season of un-interrupted VFL games only then should he be considered for the extended bench or selection as an emergency before returning to the VFL in preference for the selection of a discarded ruckmen from a non finalist who happened to win a premiership without a recognised ruckman.................hmmm, he'd be straight into my starting line up, but I'm not the coach and whatever Brad decides is best of course.

I have my doubts about Nicks ability to become an AFL standard key forward, however the only way we'll ever find out either way is by playing him. He's consistently too good for the VFL and we're crying out for a mobile key forward. Simply has to play next week and deserves an extended crack at it.
Play him or move him on! Only one way to find out.

A bit skinny but still he's had 3 preseasons. Time to give him a crack. Can't fault Campbell's effort but he's not a forward.
Yeah, has to play this week in place of big Tom. His 5 minute stints in the ruck aren't enough to make for his complete lack of forward ability. I would rather have a good forward who can't ruck play ruck for those 5 minutes, than a okay ruck who can't play forward do it, then spend the majority of the rest of his time forward ... If that makes any sense whatsoever.

A bit skinny but still he's had 3 preseasons. Time to give him a crack. Can't fault Campbell's effort but he's not a forward.
Hipwood's still a bit skinny too. Didn't stop him kicking 6 against Port, who had Rozee again a bit skinny but bobbed up for a small bag as well albeit not as a key position player but still way undersized compared to his direct opponent. Not like we want Souva to stand there one on one and wrestle Talia for the contest.

I don't think Larkeys ever gonna be a bulky looking guy, he just genetically isn't built for it. He'll be at best, akin to Petrie's build.

If we're gonna wait on a day he walks out as big as Majak Daw, well it's never going to come and even then achieving hypertrophy and increasing mass/skeletal density takes years. We're not exactly in a position to be patient right now. We had 2 years to cover our ass for the eventual Waite retirement, and its on the club for not doing so properly. So now we're left with putting Larkey in earlier than desired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back