Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - kicks 5 vs Essendon, then 6 vs Richmond, then 9 vs GCS to finish with 71 for '23 - 2023 All Australian - Congrats Souv!

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not to rain on the parade here that condemns the club for not playing Larkey, but really he was not ready last year. The one game he did play the year before was a debacle. Sometime the selection committee makes the right choices.

And he may not play this year as well, he's still really skinny, and may not run out the game.

Yes the game in 2017 was terrible but he has led the goal kicking in a league against men in 2018, so I don’t think size is that much of an issue, needs to play in my opinion , seems to be a natural forward, which would make 2 in the team

Old man... cloud etc., partly.

But, more than that, the ongoing spewing of vitriol on this site that I believe is over the top. Apologies for singling out your post amongst many.
All good Kimbo
Emotive posts and all it’s what gives this board life

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I tend to see it the match committee's way on Nick. He's an interesting player but I'm still undecided on whether his VFL form will ever translate to being a genuine AFL player.

There's a bit of Drew Petrie in there sometimes but there's a bit of Chad Jones too.

Fwiw Drew played a little bit in his 1st year and did ok, had some good cameos in his 2nd year and was producing genuine quality by his 3rd year. However he had a mix of Martyn, McCartney, Carey, McKernan, Rocca, Burton et al at different times to shield him too.

Larkey hasn't exhibited anything of note in his senior forays and still looks to have a poorer centre of gravity for height than Drew suggesting AFL defenders would have a field day (a la the way they play Ben Brown) knocking him off balance.

That said, his marking at times can be very good and he has a nice smooth kicking action. Hope he's a gun for us. But wouldn't be shocked if he's not on a list in 2-3 years.

kangaspurs

Cancelled
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Tottenham, Melbourne City FC
Larkey hasn't exhibited anything of note in his senior forays and still looks to have a poorer centre of gravity for height than Drew suggesting AFL defenders would have a field day (a la the way they play Ben Brown) knocking him off balance.
Mate, how is this a criticism? He's had two games in his first year, and then hasn't had a look in since.

As for your first para, I mean, I get that there are some question marks, but there is only one way we're gonna find out if he can do it at AFL level and that's by playing him there. He's done pretty much everything he can at VFL level to earn that opportunity too.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We don't expect Souva to come in and perform like a seasoned Drew Petrie - we just expect him to play a role - ie take a tall defender away from BBB while also chipping in for the odd mark and goal himself.

Right now though with BBB, JZ, CZ and Mason taking the 4 medium/taller forward spots there is no room for Souva.

I think he will become a very good forward - nice mark and kick and good turning circle for a big guy.

His time will come shortly.

Last edited:

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I tend to see it the match committee's way on Nick. He's an interesting player but I'm still undecided on whether his VFL form will ever translate to being a genuine AFL player.

There's a bit of Drew Petrie in there sometimes but there's a bit of Chad Jones too.

Fwiw Drew played a little bit in his 1st year and did ok, had some good cameos in his 2nd year and was producing genuine quality by his 3rd year. However he had a mix of Martyn, McCartney, Carey, McKernan, Rocca, Burton et al at different times to shield him too.

That said, his marking at times can be very good and he has a nice smooth kicking action. Hope he's a gun for us. But wouldn't be shocked if he's not on a list in 2-3 years.

For mine he's way more agile than Drew, but wont crash packs the way he did either. He seems a bit more like a Hipwood to me.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
I reckon there are a few concerns regarding how his style would translate to AFL, but really the only actual way to prove that is to give him games. It makes a little bit of a mockery of selection if VFL form only applies to some players when it comes to playing seniors.

Then again we don't actually know what he has been told to show/work on at VFL level.

I reckon there are a few concerns regarding how his style would translate to AFL, but really the only actual way to prove that is to give him games. It makes a little bit of a mockery of selection if VFL form only applies to some players when it comes to playing seniors.

Then again we don't actually know what he has been told to show/work on at VFL level.
Ground ball work, defensive pressure and positioning.

London to a brick.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

I would really hope this isnt the case because the question would need to be asked. Did his style change after we got him, if not why select him? If it has, then why?

I would really hope this isnt the case because the question would need to be asked. Did his style change after we got him, if not why select him? If it has, then why?

If I remember correctly, in Larkey’s famous “zero stat“ first game, the commentators kept mentioning the fact that he was leading really well and appeared to have a very good footy brain. He just couldn’t complete the deal on the day. If that still is the case (and why shouldn’t it be?), then he surely deserves another crack.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
Still puzzles me when people point to his only two games as examples of why he won't make it. Actually watching him at those games he was in all the right spots and it was clear the only reason he was dropping marks etc. were nerves. But he at least he was putting himself in the position where he could've had a handful of goals.

Mate, how is this a criticism? He's had two games in his first year, and then hasn't had a look in since.

As for your first para, I mean, I get that there are some question marks, but there is only one way we're gonna find out if he can do it at AFL level and that's by playing him there. He's done pretty much everything he can at VFL level to earn that opportunity too.
We also have some JLT samples to add to the two games.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
If I remember correctly, in Larkey’s famous “zero stat“ first game, the commentators kept mentioning the fact that he was leading really well and appeared to have a very good footy brain. He just couldn’t complete the deal on the day. If that still is the case (and why shouldn’t it be?), then he surely deserves another crack.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed, he put himself in some terrific spots. My only concern is how well will he pair with Brown. I think in the modern game with how good clubs are at getting numbers back you really need a pack crasher like Waite or someone very hard to move off the ball. Im sure they'll figure it out, the kid has some talent.

Agreed, he put himself in some terrific spots. My only concern is how well will he pair with Brown. I think in the modern game with how good clubs are at getting numbers back you really need a pack crasher like Waite or someone very hard to move off the ball. Im sure they'll figure it out, the kid has some talent.
Agree with your principal philosophy on this and it's why I was keen to develop McKay as Browny's foil.

Along with Maj, the only other genuine tall on the list I see as a natural pack splitter who wants to mark the ball.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Think the skipper is playing in his position - so it could be a long wait
I think it is Wood he would replace as we need Larkey to play mainly outside of 50 to drag defenders away from BBB.

CZ and JZ would then be the 2 medium talls.

With Wood's form being up and down I think Larkey will get a chance to prove himself sooner rather than later.

Back