Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

A pleasure to watch this young man play footy for our club.

Kicking distance is a bit of an issue though. Has a bit of the Aaron Edwards about him in this sense.
I'd rather an accurate kick that a long kick and I think Souva kicks for accuracy which is a good thing.

50 is his range at the moment but I like his kicking style - its simple and effective.

The additional 10 metres will come with age/strength.

very rare to have such an agile player for his size. loved his work on the weekend. crazily enough i felt we played better with him in the ruck even though he wasnt getting the hit outs. was him that brought us back in the game in the 3rd qtr with his work helping get the clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kangaroo in rare company

North Melbourne forward Nick Larkey's 13 score involvements seemed impressive at first inspection, and they are even more so once history is factored in.

The noteworthy contribution came in what was just Larkey's fifth AFL game, making him the seventh footballer to have that many score involvements in any of their first five matches.

The others were Cameron Howat (2006), Michael Barlow (2010), Isaac Smith (2011), Jason Tutt (2012), Lachie Whitfield (2013) and Connor Rozee (2019).

The statistic was tracked from 2003.

Petrie 2.0 but even better

Love it

He doesn't quite launch like Drew but there are similarities.

It's why he needs a bit more weight.

I'd compare him to a smarter version of Justin Westhoff.

Meanwhile................................Gryan Miers congratulations on your rising star nomination.:rolleyes:

He's been good all year.

Well deserved.

People don't realise that Souva has a big tank. The best comparison would be Nick Riewoldt.

Beep test results at draft combine

20m Shuttle Run (Beep Test) -

Nick Riewoldt 13.11
Nick Larkey 13.8

A lot of you have mentioned the similarities to Drew... but I reckon physically he looks so much like David Hale (when he had hair).

Love that he has some mongrel in him, as well as poise.

No coincidence that Brown’s output has increased with the inclusion of this bloke.

I wouldn’t be surprised that within a year or two, Brown will be playing the foil to Souva!

If 1 out of 10 is the rewarded target for Joyce then we are in more trouble then I thought...
I still reckon it's more to do with development issues than drafting. A lot of players are taking too long to come on (if at all), and you get the feeling that they'd be much more advanced at other clubs. Simpkin and Durdin for example would be star players by now at Hawthorn IMO.

Larkey hasn't made it yet, but I certainly feel a lot more confident about him making it than I did at the start of this season. The kid looks to have good work ethic, which will hold him in a good stead. Could well be a 200 game player, fingers crossed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back