Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I still reckon it's more to do with development issues than drafting. A lot of players are taking too long to come on (if at all), and you get the feeling that they'd be much more advanced at other clubs. Simpkin and Durdin for example would be star players by now at Hawthorn IMO.

Larkey hasn't made it yet, but I certainly feel a lot more confident about him making it than I did at the start of this season. The kid looks to have good work ethic, which will hold him in a good stead. Could well be a 200 game player, fingers crossed.
I think it's both

I still reckon it's more to do with development issues than drafting. A lot of players are taking too long to come on (if at all), and you get the feeling that they'd be much more advanced at other clubs. Simpkin and Durdin for example would be star players by now at Hawthorn IMO.

Larkey hasn't made it yet, but I certainly feel a lot more confident about him making it than I did at the start of this season. The kid looks to have good work ethic, which will hold him in a good stead. Could well be a 200 game player, fingers crossed.

You may be right, but Hawthorn struggled to turn Burton into the player everyone thought he would be after his first year. Then they traded him for the Chad. The club does have to recruit the right people and then have the system to help develop properly, but it is also incumbent on the player to make it happen as well.

You could look at any team in the comp and pick out players that have not developed to their full potential, and then wait twelve months, with either development and/or small changes and then they are amazing. It was not long ago everyone was saying that Geelongs kids were struggling and if their stars didn't play well they would lose. This year they look full of depth

An observation.

I note that his goal kicking is still very straight, but I have also noticed that he appears to be "toeing" the ball a bit and has lost some depth as a result.

Any of the VFL watchers noted this also? rickety?

Last edited:

Love his hardness in the contest. Brown could take a leaf at times tbh.
Maybe we’d look best with Larkey at FF and Brown at CHF predominantly. Haven’t watched the replay so not entirely sure how we structured it on the weekend.

As someone said above, he did well in the ruck too. Only real error was picking out a Geelong player when he had Garner on with the handball and someone free in the square. Just overthought it. Regardless, such a bright prospect. We develop big men ok IMO.

An observation.

I note that his goal kicking is still very straight, but I have also noticed that he appears to be "toeing" the ball a bit and has lost some depth as a result.

Any of the VFL watchers noted this also? rickety?
I haven't watched the whole AFL game yet, but was surprised that one of his set shots barely made the distance. He has a reasonable journey normally, maybe he was/is just being a bit careful. Sometimes it just happens. I can have nights at training, or even games where my kicking of that whole time is just a bit off, and I am obligated by the left footers fraternity to always hit a good ball.

Love his hardness in the contest. Brown could take a leaf at times tbh.
Maybe we’d look best with Larkey at FF and Brown at CHF predominantly. Haven’t watched the replay so not entirely sure how we structured it on the weekend.

As someone said above, he did well in the ruck too. Only real error was picking out a Geelong player when he had Garner on with the handball and someone free in the square. Just overthought it. Regardless, such a bright prospect. We develop big men ok IMO.

I think he may have got outmuscled in the ruck in the Cats forward line that resulted in an easy Hawkins goal too? That was way too easy.

Overall I thought he played really well. But that was a lapse in concerntration that lead to an easy goal... Mind you, midfielders should have been more alert to it too and could have put pressure on Hawkins.

I think he may have got outmuscled in the ruck in the Cats forward line that resulted in an easy Hawkins goal too? That was way too easy.

Overall I thought he played really well. But that was a lapse in concerntration that lead to an easy goal... Mind you, midfielders should have been more alert to it too and could have put pressure on Hawkins.
The radio folk called it a push out, or words to the effect. Hawkins is a decent sized hombre though, tbf

The radio folk called it a push out, or words to the effect. Hawkins is a decent sized hombre though, tbf

It was a push. Well by the recent standards of umpiring. Once upon a time it was a contest but that was a looooooong time ago.

Larkey is still young and has a fair bit of physical development left in him and Hawkins is fully mature, at least physically, so its no surprise Larks is gonna be at a strength disadvantage against Hawkins.

Out of contract , yeah?

Private schoolboy - delist.

Pfffft, we wouldn't have a team as the class system has well and truly poached just about all of them by draft age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had at least a dozen score involvements against Geelong. Loved just his intent to get to contests and compete. Agree with the above comments that he now needs to play the rest of the season.

Play for the season and he should have been in the side since round 1.love his work and this kid is going to be a star you can see it.

So Larkey is one of those forwards who the umpires don't pay frees for?

Or pay marks which are paid to others.

This will hamper his career, I'm afraid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back