Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs to actually attack the ball with genuine intent.
It might change his fortunes if he does.
Was double teamed even when we didn’t have the ball. He’s frustrating to watch, but it can’t be easy on him. Goes to run and there’s a bloke in front and behind him blocking him.

Need to be patient with Larkey. He’s not in good form and he is gradually losing confidence.

he will be fine, but he needs a spell to find his form again. Maybe a swap with Xerri? Idk

He had a couple opporunities to take a mark arms outstretched, instead took the option to chest mark and allowed the defender to spoil.
Confidence is shot. Can't blame the delivery on those two occasions where it was there for the taking.

spot on! Thats his own fault. Taught at a young age to stretch the arms out so opponent cant spoil.

spot on! Thats his own fault. Taught at a young age to stretch the arms out so opponent cant spoil.

I suspect his confidence is off due to having to combat 2 & 3 defenders for most of the season.

I've noticed this guy does a lot of finger pointing and abusing team mates when they don't give him silver service.

Yep. Not a good look. I mentioned a couple of times he gave Lizard and Powell an absolute spray one match, and then proceeded to drop a chest mark. I don't like blokes who get stuck into the kids tbh, especially when they stand there like a statue when they ought to be leading.

Could he present better and worker harder to create separation?

Yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 significant adjustments this year ..

1) No Shaun Higgins type silver service
2) No Ben Brown running the No.1 defender around the ground.

Just needs to keep working at it & do everything he can to improve.

I've noticed this guy does a lot of finger pointing and abusing team mates when they don't give him silver service.

Not saying that he is wrong, not saying he is right either. But he is definitely vocal and let's them know.

Could he present better and worker harder to create separation?
he'll get shown up and made humble when other key forwards come into the side and push him out of a spot.

Garner Campbell and zurhaar took marks in the fwd 50. Yes our delivery was bad at times but this shows there was some good delivery there. Larkey is playing behind his man and even focusing too much on the man and not the ball. He's way out of form and down on confidence

The heat needs to go on him.

This is his 5th year on the list and his performances are putrid.

This "he gets double teamed" is garbage. He constantly gets pushed under and off the ball and when is the last time you saw him coming at the ball with any intent in or outside the 50?

He has a long term deal and literally no one challenging for his position. He is playing accordingly.

You can’t be baking teammates when you yourself aren’t getting the job done.
Nothing wrong with letting them know "hey dummy I was leading the other way, keep that in mind next time", but he's suddenly morphed into the angriest bloke on the field and it all seems directed at his team mates. Anger can be a powerful tool and IMO he's channelling it in the wrong manner. I understand his frustrations, but like you say he's as guilty of some basic football sins as the rest of them.

The heat needs to go on him.

This is his 5th year on the list and his performances are putrid.

This "he gets double teamed" is garbage. He constantly gets pushed under and off the ball and when is the last time you saw him coming at the ball with any intent in or outside the 50?

He has a long term deal and literally no one challenging for his position. He is playing accordingly.
waiting for the old "playing the decoy roll" comments to be peddled out.

I only saw the game in bits and pieces on the weekend, but it seemed like our forwards were all leading to the same spot a lot? This makes it way too so easy for the 2nd/3rd man up to come over and spoil.

The whole setup seems so dysfunctional.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, he doesnt need a rest in the reserves, he needs assistance, and not just from other tall forwards, a bit of delivery up the ground woudnt go astray.

All the good delivery in the world won't help him if he's the only KPF inside 50 with 2 opponents.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back