Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don’t see it with Nick.

Doesn’t have any standout attributes.

Not quick off the mark and cannot seem to create space.
Doesn’t have a leap.
Hands are ok without being great.
Doesn‘t have strength.
Spends way too much time for my liking looking for the free kick than working on contesting the ball.

Everyone seems to want to compare him with Petrie, but Petrie was a much better athlete and footballer than Larkey will ever be.

Took 5 marks, kicked 2.1 and had 7 score involvements with 9 of his 10 possessions tonight being contested while being the number 1 KPF at 22 years old, in a team that is struggling massively with poor delivery inside 50.

He's not perfect ffs but you just see what you wanna see when it comes to Larkey.

His 3 contested grabs were decent compared to what he’s been able to do this year. They stood out like dogs bollocks to me but I went and checked his recent games. Last week 0, 1 v hawks, 0 v pies, 2 v Melbourne.

I still don’t see it with Nick.

Doesn’t have any standout attributes.

Not quick off the mark and cannot seem to create space.
Doesn’t have a leap.
Hands are ok without being great.
Doesn‘t have strength.
Spends way too much time for my liking looking for the free kick than working on contesting the ball.

Everyone seems to want to compare him with Petrie, but Petrie was a much better athlete and footballer than Larkey will ever be.
Brown is even less athletic.

Created plenty of space today and had plenty of contested marks today.

He's a much better set shot than Petrie and Brown too. Brown was accurate early in his career but it papered over the cracks of some shocking repeated misses in his last 2 years. Petrie was a toss of the coin, great kicking action but could go anywhere, especially clutch opportunities.

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also helps when he actually leads.
Loving his attack on the ball the last few games.
Just not him but quite a few forwards need to bring the ball to ground more often.
I've watched him pretty closely all year and from my eyes he had been but the delivery in most games had been awful and I could always see how frustated he was getting from the delivery. This guy will kick and mark the ball, but kicking it on top of his head or at his feet hasn't been doing him any favours. Just my view of course, I could be wrong but there's been no Boomer or Higgins ramming it down his throat like they did with Petrie.

Today was a combination of improvement, from him, and the delivery in one. I'm not saying he couldn't do with improving the parts that you mentioned, but the team has made it a lot more difficult for him to get on the end of a lot more.

Inside 50's were the best all year, and surprise, surprise, Nick was influential.

Food & weights, food & weights, food & weights....................

He’s got some very smart forward manoeuvres now and knows how to outwork his opponent, he’ll drag them up high on the ground and run around to get them gassed so he’s got a stronger lead or space to move.

I think he competes in the air way more intelligently also, on top of having great marking hands he’s now got some tricks to get the best chance at it. Now this is all 1 on 1 stuff so double or triple team him and he’s negated but then again what forward is good enough to battle that these days.

That’s why Comben or another tall like Xerri comes in handy, although Zurhaar’s been a very good partner inside F50, clearly they know what each other is doing at all times its very good chemistry

Very good game today and competed so well. But WTF is this inability to make the distance from 40 out? Consistently can't kick 40.
His kicking style changes at longer distance and not so accurate then. When he is closer he nails it most times.

Like the way he is going so far. Played well on a great defender in a side that scored low.

Imagine when our team is more mature. he has more size and strength and better delivery to him; how many goals he will be on the end of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back