Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - kicks 5 vs Essendon, then 6 vs Richmond, then 9 vs GCS to finish with 71 for '23 - 2023 All Australian - Congrats Souv!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I don’t see Larkey working his opponent over like Brown, doesn’t do those 150m leads up and back.
to me he seems like a traditional full forward like Lloyd, for him to be successful he needs one of two things, space to lead into or the strength to be able to take on defenders..

if we get another key forward, working together, he’ll get the space..

But something he personally can control is the size/strength.

Putting aside the quality comparison, Larkey needs to show some sort of ability to wrangle 1 on 1 to plan around as a spearhead.

You're right, Brown's coverage was next level. Nick is tracking to be a lower production version of the same player. If he can add some real power into his game he might transcend that.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’m happy to eat crow and say the club was right to call him our Number 1 forward man. He does have what it takes, still think we need the second tall option however.

But today was his most complete game I think, his body work in the contest getting double/triple teamed was nothing short of brilliant, Fox Footy was showcasing a bit of it today. His marking ability was back to its best and his ability to run patterns and drag his opponent high up the ground and get back forward, just providing always the option for midfielders to release the ball for another handball and run back to the F50 was really something to watch.

Arguably could have had 5 goals today, and should have. But you’ll take the 3 and every other stat he has because he was huge today, I think it really felt like his arrival coming to fruition.

Very impressive game and could have easily kicked 5+.

Looks like he is gaining confidence and his tackle in the last was a brilliant effort.

However he needs to cut out the sooking to his fellow players etc - it reminds me of Richo and it needs to stop.

Welcome DW

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
02521304-0C64-4B23-B3F8-2836DBEA1C0B.jpeg

Had a absolute howler today. 2 of these possessions were clangers too. Come up against a good backline though.

Was he drinking his own bath water from the past few weeks? He is still young so it’s a blip. Hell be better next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AnEmptyChair

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
An all-time stinker. But it's on the back of a really good month or so. He's a good player and still so young as a KPF. These types of games will probably happen every now and then for the next couple of years.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dreadful today. Dogs worked him hard but good forwards create opportunities. He's just a plodder.

Man I reckon I can sniff a plodder at 200 metres. Larkey has what it takes. Tonight the Dogs worked back hard and gave him no room until late.
We need another decent fwd target and that will be Comben. Bookmark that s**t :p

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Man I reckon I can sniff a plodder at 200 metres. Larkey has what it takes. Tonight the Dogs worked back hard and gave him no room until late.
We need another decent fwd target and that will be Comben. Bookmark that sh*t :p
A lot of pressure on a guy who’s never played and needs to put on 20kg of muscle..
shinny new toys and all that but I’ve got a feeling Edwards will stack on kilos sooner then Comben.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back