Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Took the most important mark of the game last night when it was a 10 point difference and the Hawks were really pressing hard for another goal in the last 5 minutes to get back in it.

The ball just kept coming back in our defensive 50 over and over until a kick out to a contest on the wing, seemed chaotic as what was usually on display just to get it out there and in a 2 on 1 Larkey marks it with the best set of hands. It was a game changer.

Last edited:
Took the most important mark of the game last night when it was a 10 point difference and the Hawks were really pressing hard for another goal in the last 5 minutes to get back in it.

The ball just kept coming back in our defensive 50 over and over until a kick out to a contest on the wing, seemed chaotic as what was usually on display just to get it out there and in a 2 on 1 Larkey marks it with the best set of hands. It was a game changer.
20190803_143825.gif

Even when he has failed to kick goals, Larkey has been the essential get-out mark option for us all year.

Well, apart from when he was playing magoos while a battling ruckman was playing as our second forward at the start of the year.

Brown can't be our #1 forward and only get-out mark option. And Goldstein doesn't give us much in that department these days.

Larkey = crucial.

I spoke to Nick on Saturday night and among other things, mentioned this mark. He said that earlier in the game, Stratton had edged him under the ball and he was determined to not let it happen again. He's also a student of the game - told me that Stratton has only lost one 1-on-1 contest this year - this one :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also.

His marking is clutch marking. That one on friday night at the death wasn't the only time he's taken vital contested marks for us.

Just wait until he gets the strength to bundle opponents aside.

He has the potential to take 70-80 contested marks a year.

He officially arrived last night (17/8/2019).

5 goals on a bloody good footballer in Westhoff is a quality return from a seasoned gun forward, much less a 21 year old KPF, and Nick also had a big impact in BBB getting away from the usual double & triple teaming.

Such a parallel to Drew Petrie - both had breakout years at 21. I don't remember Drew kicking bags at 21 though. I think Larkey is the better pure forward. Hoping Larkey kicks on from this, can only get better as he gains more experience and body matures.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back