Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - kicks 5 vs Essendon, then 6 vs Richmond, then 9 vs GCS to finish with 71 for '23 - 2023 All Australian - Congrats Souv!

Just the idea of Larkey and LDU back in the team lifts the heart. Since they’ve been out, both Kyron and Curtis have cemented their spots. We’d start to look like a really bright young team when they’re all out on the park - along with Will Walker for good measure. Add in Majak and the NM BigFooty excitement metre would blow.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Get them in now!
Yeah, if they are fit to run the game out but have no match conditioning, they can't do any worse than what we are seeing at the moment. May as well play in the ones.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeah, if they are fit to run the game out but have no match conditioning, they can't do any worse than what we are seeing at the moment. May as well play in the ones.
Especially Larkey.

Him at 50% rat power is an improvement on Campbell.

If he is going to run around in a scratch match, he may as well get his conditioning at AFL level.

Bring him and Majak in and rotate them so they can manage their loads.

I will take anything over watching the Campbell experiment continue.

I’m ok with LDU playing another scratchie, midfielder loads are probably a bit more difficult to balance.

New_Roo

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Especially Larkey.

Him at 50% rat power is an improvement on Campbell.

If he is going to run around in a scratch match, he may as well get his conditioning at AFL level.

Bring him and Majak in and rotate them so they can manage their loads.

I will take anything over watching the Campbell experiment continue.

I’m ok with LDU playing another scratchie, midfielder loads are probably a bit more difficult to balance.

I agree with throwing larkey in... but reckon Rawlings is very conservative with these injuries so don't like our chances

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He'd be conservative with good reason.
I’m not sure why he would be so conservative with a guy you could potentially manage game time by bringing him and Majak in together and rotating them?

If he is playing a scratch match he should be playing at full intensity to get himself ready to step up or otherwise the scratch match is just a waste of time.

They can still potentially manage his game time at AFL level, it’s not like he would be replacing an inform forward.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tempting but I couldn’t stand watching another player playing this year that’s not quite ready.

Watching Cunners last week has scarred me for life. Couldn’t believe my eyes.

I’m happy to wait.....
I understand with LDU, but if we bring in Larkey and Majak we could manage them effectively in the forward rotation.

If he is not capable of playing then he shouldn’t be playing a scratch match either?

What has scarred me for life is watching a immobile carbon rod get in the way of everyone in that forward line and not even be able to impact a contest.

I thought Mason Cox was s**t, but he looks like Wayne Carey next to Campbell.

May 24, 2011
Richmond
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bring him in too quick may do more damage than waiting for him to be fit, in particular this week against the Richmond backline, don’t get me wrong I would love to have him in with about 6 others.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bring him in too quick may do more damage than waiting for him to be fit, in particular this week against the Richmond backline, don’t get me wrong I would love to have him in with about 6 others.
By that logic he may as well not play in the practice match either because if he is treating that as preparation he should be going full tilt anyway.

I don’t see any harm in bringing him and managing his minutes.

If we had an inform forward that could play the role better, then sure, give him another week to get back to 100% game capacity, but we don’t.

Apr 29, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I understand with LDU, but if we bring in Larkey and Majak we could manage them effectively in the forward rotation.

If he is not capable of playing then he shouldn’t be playing a scratch match either?

What has scarred me for life is watching a immobile carbon rod get in the way of everyone in that forward line and not even be able to impact a contest.

I thought Mason Cox was sh*t, but he looks like Wayne Carey next to Campbell.

Rather be on the conservative side given how our season is unfolding.

Love your last para 😄

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Both Maj and Larkey need to come in with head full of confidence. Think big picture. We should be continuing to challenge our midfield to find better ways of delivering inside 50. Let them continue to work on this for a couple of weeks.

Nick Larkey

“All we wanted him to do was get through the game, and he did that. He competed really well in the air and took some good grabs. A good starting point for him.”

Back