Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

We got what we wanted out of it, I'm sure.

He got a taste, understands the gap now, and has time on his side.

I generally like the philosophy of giving guys a go early, even if briefly. If they come in straight away as naturals, like EVW and 'Leslie', great. If not, they have that hunger burning to come back and do better, and to do what they need to do in training, to achieve that.

Not sure if already posted. But he had a lot of work on his left knee on the bench / boundary throughout the game. Was very uncomfortable. Clearly hampered in the 3rd Qtr after a marking contest where he drove into the ground. Then got sent into relief ruck. Welcome to AfL....

As others have said; found himself in the right spot on a number of occasions and seeing as Brown had space to run into, Souva must have decent knowledge of the fwd running patterns and good instinct. Send to be the sort of character that will eat his donuts by tomorrow's swim session and be ready to go on Monday!

Looks like a young Drew Petrie!

As others have said; found himself in the right spot on a number of occasions and seeing as Brown had space to run into, Souva must have decent knowledge of the fwd running patterns and good instinct. Send to be the sort of character that will eat his donuts by tomorrow's swim session and be ready to go on Monday!

Young drew - he does!

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seemed a bit over awed.

Give him another week and let's see how he goes.

As a stand alone thing Debuting in his first year is something in and of itself.

If you'd seen him at VFL level live you'd have known he'd struggle at AFL level without getting on his bike - which hasn't been his go so far.

To his credit he did just that and presented perfectly on 2-4 occasions - and hit the ball like a volleyball spiker. All good, hopefully he didn't get injured and if so he'll front up better than ever, no matter if AFL or VFL level.

If you came into the game saying
Waite brown and souva would kick 10 between them then you are laughing.

Didn't take his opportunities but a forward line is a symbiotic function. Looked like it worked well at times today which it hasn't in the past

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My dad said that a few mins before the commentators said it funnily enough.

He got a taste and he seems like a good kid who will work even harder now. Hes a first year key position player and if hes doing enough to get a crack at the seniors then that in itself is sensational.

Should have got him to clock Hooker. Wasn't useful for anything else.
Or read the many comments above yours pointing out what other value he added. That was our best functioning forward line in some time. He will go out after a taste of it when Wood can come back in, but he knows what to do out there and that's a big plus, even if he couldn't quite take the chances yesterday.

Not a good debut but he'll be better of for it. Just spending time with senior players and going through matchday routines and picking their brains would help him alot.

Why you would throw a kid to the wolves after missing 2 weeks injured is beyond me.

A few weeks ago Brad said he wanted to bring in Preuss when he was up and going but the rules are different for other players....wtf.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Why you would throw a kid to the wolves after missing 2 weeks injured is beyond me.

A few weeks ago Brad said he wanted to bring in Preuss when he was up and going but the rules are different for other players....wtf.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

BBB thread is thataway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Look, no need to throw Souva (a nickname I made up for him growing up next to his family's farm in the Sunraysia District) under the bus. The kid can play the game.
Obviously not a great debut but I can recall my "debut" at Crown on the Mahjong Tables back in 1988. I was convicted from the establishment for "unruly behaviour" simply because I licked my gaming chips before placing them on the table. The young lass dealing took offence to it as I winked at her as I did so.
And look at me now. I rest my case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back