Player Watch #20: Nick 'Souva' Larkey - '23 AA & '24 NM VC - plays game 100 v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Shown nothing so far for mine. Looking forward to understanding what our recruiting staff see in him with that extension last year.

Strange comment.

I would've thought averaging over 2 goals a game at VFL level as a skinny Key position forward was showing something.

I thought it was a very promising first year.

Shown nothing so far for mine. Looking forward to understanding what our recruiting staff see in him with that extension last year.
Lol what did you actually expect from a gangling 18 year old KPF who was taken pick 70-odd in the draft?

As far as I'm concerned he massively exceeded what anyone reasonably could have expected in his first year by being excellent in the VFL and genuinely earning a call up to the seniors, not just a token game at the end of the season.

I'm assuming you didn't watch much vfl last year?
I didn't think much of it, his play, or even the goals - I thought he got a lot of cheap ones. Clearly I'm in the minority.

His main source of goals seemed to come from slipping his defender while he wasn't paying attention and getting a shot on goal from within 25. That tactic isn't something you are going to get in the AFL. I've seen perhaps 2 plays where he slipped some poor tacking efforts, and that's it.

We signed him up for longer than most of our young guys, so I DO expect to see much more next year.

In the course of time you may well end up being proven right. But writing off a first year teenage KPP taken extremely late in a draft is impressing no one.

I didn't think much of it, his play, or even the goals - I thought he got a lot of cheap ones. Clearly I'm in the minority.

His main source of goals seemed to come from slipping his defender while he wasn't paying attention and getting a shot on goal from within 25. That tactic isn't something you are going to get in the AFL. I've seen perhaps 2 plays where he slipped some poor tacking efforts, and that's it.

We signed him up for longer than most of our young guys, so I DO expect to see much more next year.

That's fair enough, though I disagree. He did kick a few from non traditional sources, can't deny that.

In the course of time you may well end up being proven right. But writing off a first year teenage KPP taken extremely late in a draft is impressing no one.
I agree with both of you to an extent. His ability to manafacture goals as a skinny first year KPF at VFL level was no doubt very impressive, and I've heard only positive things about his work rate both on and off the field. Despite this, however, I am yet to see anything that suggests he'll be a long term AFL prospect. Likewise, I haven't seen anything that makes me write him off.

I do, however, have concerns as to how his play will stack up to AFL football, which at least currently were proven right by his (quite frankly atrocious) first few games. So yeah, he could well be a good AFL player, but I do worry that the club has gone a bit early with the long contract extension and promotion to #20 for a prospect who looks a way off.

Jenkins gets 750+k a year to do exactly this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with both of you to an extent. His ability to manafacture goals as a skinny first year KPF at VFL level was no doubt very impressive, and I've heard only positive things about his work rate both on and off the field. Despite this, however, I am yet to see anything that suggests he'll be a long term AFL prospect. Likewise, I haven't seen anything that makes me write him off.

I do, however, have concerns as to how his play will stack up to AFL football, which at least currently were proven right by his (quite frankly atrocious) first few games. So yeah, he could well be a good AFL player, but I do worry that the club has gone a bit early with the long contract extension and promotion to #20 for a prospect who looks a way off.
His beep test result for a tall is superb. That is better than LDU/ Cerra/ Dow's beep.

Victorian State Combine

Beep test
Callan Wellings – North Ballarat Rebels (level 15.5)
Nelson Lane – Eastern Ranges (15.3)
Jackson McDonald – Calder Cannons (15.2)
Jono Aujard – Oakleigh Chargers (14.4)
Mason De Wit – Dandenong Stingrays (14.3)
Kane Keppel – Eastern Ranges (14.3)
Ben Ronke – Calder Cannons (14.2)
Sam Simpson – Geelong Falcons (14.2)
Louis Pinnuck – Murray Bushrangers (14.1)
Nick Larkey – Oakleigh Chargers (13.8)

Nah Wood doesn't need to worry about Larkey. Larkey will be replacing Waite when he retires at the end of this year (you'd assume).

Moving away from three tall, Larkey will quickly be the preferred option for the second spot behind Brown for the next 6-7 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back