Delisted 20. Oscar Brownless (F/S) (2018-2019),(2020-2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Look I'm not really a Brownless fan and I think it is a folly that people are swallowing the PR line of Brownless agreeing to be delisted to help the club out but at the same time there were people in Geelong that said GAJ wouldn't be getting a game at the Geelong falcons if not for his surname!!! Just the way people are.

Yes .. Gary Ablett was given a spot in front of other potential kids at the Falcons was just obvious non talent based favouritism..... blah blah blah I heard from plenty for a while .. it went quite after a couple of years at geelong... but to be fair it must be a political snake nest ..parents see their kids get cut , no names kids missing out on a spot at the Falcons ..and they see someone get a golden ticket (in their opinion)

My opinion ... Brownless is there because the club sees enough potential to give him a chance. Its not like Brownless name is much better than say Couch for eg. Or Mensch. Brownless got selected in VC 2 years in a row .. he has some credentials on his CV to say it gets down to the clubs interpretation.
Right now we have him and Simpson which would not be too far away from each other... and to get a game in our VFL side is a good effort..to get a game in the AFL is another level . Either way I cant see it breaking the bank

Yes .. Gary Ablett was given a spot in front of other potential kids at the Falcons was just obvious non talent based favouritism..... blah blah blah I heard from plenty for a while .. it went quite after a couple of years at geelong... but to be fair it must be a political snake nest ..parents see their kids get cut , no names kids missing out on a spot at the Falcons ..and they see someone get a golden ticket (in their opinion)

My opinion ... Brownless is there because the club sees enough potential to give him a chance. Its not like Brownless name is much better than say Couch for eg. Or Mensch. Brownless got selected in VC 2 years in a row .. he has some credentials on his CV to say it gets down to the clubs interpretation.
Right now we have him and Simpson which would not be too far away from each other... and to get a game in our VFL side is a good effort..to get a game in the AFL is another level . Either way I cant see it breaking the bank

There is always a bit of nepotism but the whole world works that way. If you can open a door for your kid your gonna do it. But you can’t polish a turd, it’s has to be close enough that giving him a shot might pay off.

I don’t know if that’s the case here with Oscar (and don’t really care). But you can’t tell me the world is fair and everyone gets equal opportunity.

There is always a bit of nepotism but the whole world works that way. If you can open a door for your kid your gonna do it. But you can’t polish a turd, it’s has to be close enough that giving him a shot might pay off.

I don’t know if that’s the case here with Oscar (and don’t really care). But you can’t tell me the world is fair and everyone gets equal opportunity.
Your name only gets you so far, enough to be noticed by the recruiters.

this is a multi billion dollar industry they don’t just draft players for shits and giggles...there has to be something there to justify the time and money to develop the player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

[QUOTE="Seeds, post: 63829933, member: 487
Not us. The other clubs.
[/QUOTE]
I don't follow that comment. Geelong let him slide in the draft as they could match any bid with the father-son premium, and he was not a gun. When I watched him in 3 or 4 VFL games, he did not look out of place.
If you mean no other club went for him in the rookie draft in 2019 so this means he is not rated by other clubs, then you are not taking into account the obvious risk that Oscar would not want to be with them, as the club of his respected father said they wanted him. Abbott, who played a number of games at AFL and is a mature ruckman in a category in demand, is in a totally different situation.

Your name only gets you so far, enough to be noticed by the recruiters.

this is a multi billion dollar industry they don’t just draft players for shits and giggles...there has to be something there to justify the time and money to develop the player.

It’s like the rich kid at private school whose had tutors all the way through and his dad knows the dean of admissions. You get every advantage all the way through and then when the final decision is made you get put to the front of the pile. Sure you have to be in the ball park, but that’s very different to earning it.

And I’m not talking specifically about Brownless. This is a general scenario more about how the world works.

It’s like the rich kid at private school whose had tutors all the way through and his dad knows the dean of admissions. You get every advantage all the way through and then when the final decision is made you get put to the front of the pile. Sure you have to be in the ball park, but that’s very different to earning it.

And I’m not talking specifically about Brownless. This is a general scenario more about how the world works.
What would you know about rich kids at private schools? ;)

What would you know about rich kids at private schools? ;)
I knew lots of rich kids at my private school.
You could tell who they were.
They were the ones who regularly scored in the range of 0-10 out of 100 in the exams.
And who didn't care, even if they could have done better, which most of them couldn't.
And who got promoted to the next form at the end of the year.
The ones who got promoted two forms were the sons of very rich old boys of the school.;)

Most of them went into their old man's business.
And, in a number of cases, eventually took it over and spectacularly destroyed it.

I knew lots of rich kids at my private school.
You could tell who they were.
They were the ones who regularly scored in the range of 0-10 out of 100 in the exams.
And who didn't care, even if they could have done better, which most of them couldn't.
And who got promoted to the next form at the end of the year.
The ones who got promoted two forms were the sons of very rich old boys of the school.;)

Most of them went into their old man's business.
And, in a number of cases, eventually took it over and spectacularly destroyed it.
It's not a phenomenon exclusive to the "rich".
Tradies' kids also go through high school knowing they will ultimately join Dad's business.
In the meantime they "plumb" the depths of academic achievement, and cause great angst to teachers with their who gives a **** attitude.

They do earn it by their hard work, it isn’t given to them on a silver platter. They may had some advantages with their upbringing but they still have to work hard to remain on the list.

If it were up to Billy, Oscar would have debuted by now.
It's not like Bill actually works at the club, like the esteemed father of the Silvagni brothers.
Oh, hang on... :think: :D

Hey guys.

Oscar has just been picked up by my SANFL team, South Adelaide Panthers.
Hoping for any insight into his strengths/weaknesses/best position?

Thanks in advance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back