Delisted 20. Oscar Brownless (F/S) (2018-2019),(2020-2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Great interview between father and son. Oscar seems very plugged in and a decent kid. Billy giving him the chance to thank his mum, addressing the lateness of his selection, the banter, there was a bit in that beyond what could have been a mostly nonsense chat.

I was a fraction surprised he wasnt sure what happened next with more clarity. I'd have thought after you draft someone, the initial call to give them the news, you'd have someone on staff call soon after to clarify the agenda for the next week, send an email with contracts, times etc.

Looking forward to seeing the get together photos with other drafted players, over analysing their comparitive heights, and first training session clips.
I was wondering why Oscar was selected so late, being the Cats' final pick, was it to, allow them to keep draft points for others?

I was wondering why Oscar was selected so late, being the Cats' final pick, was it to, allow them to keep draft points for others?
My feeling is there was no need to go earlier. They were always going to match from 40 onwards so the longer clubs let him drift the more other players we could explore.

That's my guess anyway.

Why spend the earlier pick if you dont need to - keep the powder dry and get him as cheap as possible - the draft position means nothing in 8 months time playing footy.

GO Catters

I like that OB listed his heros as Scarlo, Donsy, Kel and Smithy. Not the flashier type stars - but more the dependable lower key team oriented blokes. Means SFA really but I personally like that kind of approach as the ethos of that group is a strong as any and some of that has to rub off on the kid. Exact opposite of the show pony Dad lol

Go Catters
Would much rather the show ponys myself. We are extremely lacking in them.

Would much rather the show ponys myself. We are extremely lacking in them.
Mengola, Parsons, PFD, 2E to name a few....

horses for courses - reality is need both to succeed...

Often the kids differ from parents - purely not to be like them.. wish OB the best in whatever path he takes.

GO Catters

Billy and Gary will be thrilled for him! (To soon?)

:eek::eek::eek:

:p:p:p

Not sure about Garry Lyon being so thrilled, as his hatred of Geelong is blatant! :rolleyes:

It's so exciting for Billy though, would have to be a player's dream, to have your son play for your team.

Also a terrific Father/Son interview, brilliant to see how proud Billy is of Oscar.

Oscar said he is not too much like his Dad, probably a bit more "up the ground, running a bit more. High Half Forward, on the Wing + hopefully, later in my career I'd like to help in the Midfield, a sort of Forward type".

Superstars Scarlett, Lonergan, James Kelly + Corey were his idols.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2018-11-23/father-and-son

Oscar's Press Conference
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2018-11-23/oscar-brownless-press-conf

Probably unlikely, but nostalgic purposes how good would it be during a match next year if there's a passage of play that includes the names Bews, Simpson, Brownless & Ablett

Swoon - Chiffon Dress.gif

Im not overly impressed with the mouths talking about this kid or that kid in draft ... its more like a happy circle where everyone is so happy ..and all is great .. and everyone is a bargain.. and everyone did so well. Id love for all the comments to be documented and then placed in the vault and brought out when they are delisted etc .

Having said that I have been fairly confident that he would get to 50+ ... but the club must have been very confident to trade back in. and Oscar has been under the micoscope as much as anyone.. so he has show great resilience. Now .. van we find a rock to put young Mr Henry under it for a year or two...

SS apparently has offered #16 to him so we will see if he likes that or wants to do a GA etc.

Could be another player looking for a new number - reported that Scooter has talked to Oscar & offered up the #16 if he'd like to wear that

Oscar said in his Father/Son interview that Scooter is happy with #16 + he's not too fussed about his number.

If that's the case, I reckon Oscar will take #16 when Scooter retires. Very gracious of Scooter.

He was already nominated by the club as a F/S so it meant that we weren't permitted to select him until someone made a bid. That bid didn't happen so we were able to select him with our last pick in the draft which was a steal. Oscar can play and will be a good player for this club down the track.

He's a very smart footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My feeling is there was no need to go earlier. They were always going to match from 40 onwards so the longer clubs let him drift the more other players we could explore.

That's my guess anyway.
That's obviously right. As I asked, "was it to, allow them to keep draft points for others". But was there any risk another team would draft him? Other teams probably knew that Oscar only wanted to play for Geelong. Obviously no, other teams showed no interest.

I did have a fleeting, mischievous thought that WCE might have drafted Oscar, to be evil :p *Just jokes* Still, I don't think WCE are as into Kelly, as Kelly is into them.

Does leaving Oscar until the last pick reflect on Oscar's ability?

He was already nominated by the club as a F/S so it meant that we weren't permitted to select him until someone made a bid. That bid didn't happen so we were able to select him with our last pick in the draft which was a steal. Oscar can play and will be a good player for this club down the track.

He's a very smart footballer.
THANK YOU!!! Best explanation so far.

I know nothing (said with Sgt Schultz's voice) about drafting players, but love to learn.

Again, thank you Cockarfitt for explaining :hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat:

Let's hope Oscar makes a name for himself AND fuels the myth of father/son "leg ups " for the cats.

Listening to the draft brought back thoughts I had about both Scarlett and Ablett in their time. On exposed form we paid overs for them (compared with what today's fs rules would have produced).

Just sayin..
Ive never heard that myth.

It may take a while for that sort of comment not cause momentary confusion in my brain. Brownless = running capacity, encouraging physical profile? :think:

my only excuse is I never saw Brownless senior play :)
Where were you in the 80's and 90's?

Ive never heard that myth.
I had heard numerous times that Gary Ablett Jr only got drafted because of his father's reputation.

I thought his season av was 22.5 disposals a game.
I also read an ESPN article saying he'd gone 26.5 over a 6 game period with 2 consecutive games at 34.5 disposals.
Your stats are off 4 early games and his games improved throughout the year.
Those are his stats from the champs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back