AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright 🏅 - Pleads guilty at tribunal, 4 week suspension - 26/3

Remove this Banner Ad

I expected him to get this penalty. I don't agree with it though. The AFL expect you now to protect others at all cost, even if it means opening yourself up and you getting hurt yourself. It is impossible at times in split second incidents. Our brains are hard wired to protect ourselves, as all animals are. You blink if something is coming at your eyes, you flinch if something is coming at your face and you turn your body to protect all your vital organs if something suddenly is coming front on.

Also, have a look at Cripps bump on Ah Chee, which put Callum out of finals last year. 6 or 7 games ago. No penalty. I would argue Cripps had intent but I don't think Wright did. Ridiculous.

Sorry, I'm not reading the whole thread, but what's the consensus here about the punishment? I think 4 weeks is crazy, the guy did all he could to avoid contact and it happened anyway. He has every right to contest the ball, and it was pretty clear that when he saw he'd be second to the ball, he braced himself and turned to minimize contact.

To miss 5% of the season for that is insane. What message is the AFL trying to push? That more players should pull out of a contest early?

I expected him to get this penalty. I don't agree with it though. The AFL expect you now to protect others at all cost, even if it means opening yourself up and you getting hurt yourself. It is impossible at times in split second incidents. Our brains are hard wired to protect ourselves, as all animals are. You blink if something is coming at your eyes, you flinch if something is coming at your face and you turn your body to protect all your vital organs if something suddenly is coming front on.

Also, have a look at Cripps bump on Ah Chee, which put Callum out of finals last year. 6 or 7 games ago. No penalty. I would argue Cripps had intent but I don't think Wright did. Ridiculous.

that was not last year

Sorry, I'm not reading the whole thread, but what's the consensus here about the punishment? I think 4 weeks is crazy, the guy did all he could to avoid contact and it happened anyway. He has every right to contest the ball, and it was pretty clear that when he saw he'd be second to the ball, he braced himself and turned to minimize contact.

To miss 5% of the season for that is insane. What message is the AFL trying to push? That more players should pull out of a contest early?
Its the Essendon tax. Until you get an ex Essendon player as the MRO or on the tribunal it will always be this way. Essendon are the most hated club by the ex players that now fill these positions due to our success during their playing days. Maynard and Cripps, play on nothing to see here, Peter Wright 4 weeks. Cunningham ran on an angle blindly into the path of a leading 100kg player. The message is clear this week. If you play for Essendon, quickly jump out of the way of any player that comes near you. If you play for any other club, attack the ball its a football action you'll be ok. If you play for Carlton you're allowed to punch people in the head as long as you're within 15 metres of the play.

Its the Essendon tax. Until you get an ex Essendon player as the MRO or on the tribunal it will always be this way. Essendon are the most hated club by the ex players that now fill these positions due to our success during their playing days. Maynard and Cripps, play on nothing to see here, Peter Wright 4 weeks. Cunningham ran on an angle blindly into the path of a leading 100kg player. The message is clear this week. If you play for Essendon, quickly jump out of the way of any player that comes near you. If you play for any other club, attack the ball its a football action you'll be ok. If you play for Carlton you're allowed to punch people in the head as long as you're within 15 metres of the play.
And if you're Sydney, punch them in the face and the victim gets investigated for head butting.

On one hand i get why he was suspended, but on the other hand I'm not sure what action wright was supposed to do otherwise.

Do we really want players pulling out of contests?

All you can do is say it is what it is and accept that that i the bar for suspension, and expect consistency from the MRO.

We all know its horse s**t though. Redman goes for a week for pushing Newcombe. Heeney throws fist at Hind and gets nothing.

I have zero issues with our players getting suspended as long as the same applies to every other team. it isn't and it's just BS. Considering the AFL just announced they are covering up drug issues as injuries i dont trust them at all.

Last edited:
On one hand i get why he was suspended, but on the other hand I'm not sure what action wright was supposed to do otherwise.

Do we really want players pulling out of contests?

All you can do is say it is what it is and accept that that i the bar for suspension, and expect consistency from the MRO.

We all know its horse s**t though. Redman goes for a week for pushing Newcombe. Heeney throws fist at Hind and gets nothing.

I have zero issues with our players getting suspended as long as the same applies to every other team. it isn't and it's just BS. Considering the AFL just announced they are covering up drug issues as injuries i dont trust them at all.

I think so long as they're consistent (which they won't be) if the expectation is that occasionally in football you'll be in a position that through no real malice or fault you're going to have a split second decision to protect yourself, and that might result in another player being hurt, and you'll be suspended for it.

This is the first real test-case of that since Maynard's non-suspension.

I think so long as they're consistent (which they won't be) if the expectation is that occasionally in football you'll be in a position that through no real malice or fault you're going to have a split second decision to protect yourself, and that might result in another player being hurt, and you'll be suspended for it.

Like to think they will...I think they're under more pressure now than ever to be consistent because the rule is now very specific. Going to be interesting around finals time if big name does the same thing.

Like to think they will...I think they're under more pressure now than ever to be consistent because the rule is now very specific. Going to be interesting around finals time if big name does the same thing.

Nothing surer than Charlie Curnow doing the exact same thing in a final and getting off if Carlton have won.

he was always going to miss games, its the fact the club did NOTHING to help his defence and/or reduce his penalty by appealing, just as they did with Redman the week before. Its ******* shameful and embarrassing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL needs a Trump style court appointed supervisor, to many coverups and when it comes to the tribunal they inflate or deflate suspensions for their own benefit to what suits best at the time

Real test is when Heeney does it

Ngl, seeing the pages upon pages of paranoid "essendon tax" and other hyperbole here (I saw a few suggest "you're not allowed to go for the mark anymore" which is real Herald Sun comment section energy) has finally let me see our supporter base the way a lot of oppo see us. Real daytrip from reality kind of stuff here.

Ngl, seeing the pages upon pages of paranoid "essendon tax" and other hyperbole here (I saw a few suggest "you're not allowed to go for the mark anymore" which is real Herald Sun comment section energy) has finally let me see our supporter base the way a lot of oppo see us. Real daytrip from reality kind of stuff here.
100%. I mean obviously the Essendon tax part is real. But people who say you can’t go for marks are wrong. You can if you don’t play for Essendon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back