AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright 🏅 - Pleads guilty at tribunal, 4 week suspension - 26/3

Remove this Banner Ad

If he did not have to carry the ruck in some games while Draper was out I suspect he may have hit around 40 goals.

I feel like it's almost settled for next year.

Wright number 1.

Jones number 2.

Bryan to play as forward / second ruck.

There were some phases of play today that really stood out with Wright working up and back from half forward and it really screamed that he's the man. Problem is the number 1 can't ruck. The work load is too big and clearly Wright's running ability is nothing special.

Bryan's task now is to put on weight, get fit and develop some forward craft.

If it wasn't for some straight kicking in a few games would be considered a liability.

Give his season a 5.5. Needs to get to 6.5 for us to be a top 4 side.

So take away what’s good about him and he’s not good? If you take out all the games that Parish will poll Brownlow votes in he’ll poll no votes.

Had one of the great horrors today not sure who told him not to mark the footy but flew at everything with one flat hand trying to bring the ball to ground. Did not even give the defenders a chance to panic.

Keath held his arms at every marking oppourtunity.But as our only talk forward has to make a contest and hurt a few blokes. Needed Hooker down there to crash packs and needs to be the number 2 forward. Wont be a number 1 forward consistently

I like 2MP, but just dont know if he can be our main go to forward. Im trying to think of another player who is similar to him and actually Mason Cox from the Pies fits the bill. If you compare their stats they are very closely matched;-

2MP - games: 87, ave disposals: 11.6, goals: 1.3, marks: 4.8, hitouts: 6.1
Mason Cox - games: 76, ave disposals: 8.6, goals: 1.2, marks: 3.9, hitouts: 6.6

2MP probably slightly ahead of Cox but not by much, and both can be pretty hot and cold. 2MP is younger though and certainly has more upside than Cox who is coming to the end of his career, but I just hope 2MP makes good on his potential and gets more consistency about his game in 2022. I remember Cox a few years ago being talked about as the next big thing - but he just kind of petered out - I hope Peter doesn't do the same....

I like 2MP, but just dont know if he can be our main go to forward. Im trying to think of another player who is similar to him and actually Mason Cox from the Pies fits the bill. If you compare their stats they are very closely matched;-

2MP - games: 87, ave disposals: 11.6, goals: 1.3, marks: 4.8, hitouts: 6.1
Mason Cox - games: 76, ave disposals: 8.6, goals: 1.2, marks: 3.9, hitouts: 6.6

2MP probably slightly ahead of Cox but not by much, and both can be pretty hot and cold. 2MP is younger though and certainly has more upside than Cox who is coming to the end of his career, but I just hope 2MP makes good on his potential and gets more consistency about his game in 2022. I remember Cox a few years ago being talked about as the next big thing - but he just kind of petered out - I hope Peter doesn't do the same....

If you keep thinking of him as our main forward then you will be underwhelmed. He is simply someone who can kick around 30 to 40 goals and do his bit as second ruck. What we have to do is have a system where we do not have a go too forward and spread the load. We have 4 forwards that should kick 30 to 40 goals. Melbourne just won a flag on the back of spreading the goal kicking load.

I don’t think Brown did or does anything Wright is incapable of doing. They just got and as a general rule get really good overlap from their wingers and exits out the front of the stoppage for clean looks on goal.

Brown made himself big and kicked straight, the last time we had that level of dominance in the middle Wright did likewise.

He probably lacks someone like McDonald to play along side him to smash packs because that’s not really his go even at his best.

Last edited:
I don’t think Brown did or does anything Wright is incapable of doing. They just got and as a general rule get really good overlap from their wingers and exits out the front of the stoppage for clean looks on goal.

Brown made himself big and kicked straight, the last time we had that level of dominance Wright kicked did likewise.

He probably lacks someone like McDonald to play along side him to smash packs because that’s not really his go even at his best.
Hopefully Baldwin likes smashing packs...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown made himself big and kicked straight, the last time we had that level of dominance in the middle Wright did likewise.

Think Browns got Wright covered athletically especially for pace which makes him harder to stop.

That being said I agree that with Wright’s physical attributes with good delivery will make him very hard to stop.

Would like to see us use his long range kicking to our advantage. He’s genuinely a reasonable chance anywhere within 55m of goal so we should be encouraging him to go on long leads to the ball carrier imo.

Was guilty of playing behind too much on Wednesday. All of his good games he has been getting in front and with his height he generally marks it or draws a free kick. Less trying to jump from behind and more working to the front thanks :cool:

Was guilty of playing behind too much on Wednesday. All of his good games he has been getting in front and with his height he generally marks it or draws a free kick. Less trying to jump from behind and more working to the front thanks :cool:
I haven't seen the game but whenever Wright made an impact last year he was either commanding the ball or making it his own.

He needs to play like he's a 195cm forward and work, work, work. Then the rewards will come.

The caveat is to not work into the space of the other KPFs which sounds like it's still a challenge for us.

I haven't seen the game but whenever Wright made an impact last year he was either commanding the ball or making it his own.

He needs to play like he's a 195cm forward and work, work, work. Then the rewards will come.

The caveat is to not work into the space of the other KPFs which sounds like it's still a challenge for us.
Lets just say he did very little commanding and a lot of waving from the back and yes the forwards seemed to end up in the same spots. I will give them one out and that is we did slow down the entries a bit too much which allowed the Dogs to set up behind the ball easily.
Agree with you saying he needs to keep his work rate up as he does lead to good spots when he is on song.

That's almost the irony of being a really tall forward. It doesn't make you that much better in a pack. In fact I'd harzard a guess that it makes little difference. I suspect Darling pulls down as many pack marks as the likes of Wright do (5 or 6 inches shorter). Compare a McGovern (at 192 ish) to Hooker (at 198-2m ish). The issue defending the really tall forwards is on the lead or at least moving to the ball. The height advantage doesn't get maximised by static forward play because defenders can run and jump at the ball and can still work the body.

Last edited:
If Peter is the number one target we are going nowhere
he can fill a role and will have purple patch matches but he is not physically or mentally competitive enough to impact consistently

he can fill a role and will have purple patch matches but he is not physically or mentally competitive enough to impact consistently
Agree - and compounded by the fact Draper offers very little as a resting forward means it's unlikely 2MP will get dropped.

Agree 100%. He can not be or will never be a number one man. He fills a role but the role itself is not to be the number one forward either. The role is to be a decent forward and second ruck. Kick 30 or so goals and cover the ruck when needed. Harry Jones is the one we need to be the number one man.

If we can get a 30+ goal year whilst averaging 10 hitouts a game mark he'll be the third player to do so since the turn of the century. That's the goal at the end of the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back