(Log in to remove this ad.)

SnusCG

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
I dont think his rucking was the problem. He improved in the 3rd.

His contested work as a marking target was deplorable. Pushed off the ball with ease. No excuse for that as it has nothing to do with ruck craft (which he lacks).
It's the issue we had with him for years.

Excellent shot for goal and can kick the ball a mile, but my god is he poor in contested situations. You see small defenders push him out of a contest like it was nothing and I can't even remember the last time he took a genuine contested grab.

Hope you guys can fix his issues because I still think there is a player there.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
He was pushed out so easily and a complete non-factor in contests around the ground. Did he even bring the ball to ground in marking contests?

Wright to play either as a forward/ruck or nothing at all. I'd select Phillips and Bryan as rucks ahead of him.

fairbump_playon

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
He was pushed out so easily and a complete non-factor in contests around the ground. Did he even bring the ball to ground in marking contests?

Wright to play either as a forward/ruck or nothing at all. I'd select Phillips and Bryan as rucks ahead of him.
Hmmmn. The moment when you realize why even the Suns didn’t give him a single game last year..

EnolaGay

Premium Gold
Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
I dont think his rucking was the problem. He improved in the 3rd.

His contested work as a marking target was deplorable. Pushed off the ball with ease. No excuse for that as it has nothing to do with ruck craft (which he lacks).
I was really keen on his signing, but gee, last night has left me with real doubts re his physicality around the ground. Reid made him look like Gleeson in most of their marking contests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I was really keen on his signing, but gee, last night has left me with real doubts re his physicality around the ground. Reid made him look like Gleeson in most of their marking contests.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The saving grace is that it was the first time he's played like that for us.

Needs to find some angry pills.

Mr Mojo Risin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Meh. A cheap signing and will require some work. He didn't have a great game last night but I don't think there was any lack of effort. Seems to need a lot of core strength work. We really only got him as a forward and part time ruck and I think he has a place there. However the injuries and seeing him out of the forward line shows it's working reasonably well without him so his spot is in jeopardy.

ant555

The Oracle
May 4, 2004
lurking in the shadows of the matrix
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Penrith Panthers
Not sure I would call him soft. He does not run away from a contest. I have issues with his core strength by that may be what it is. Some blokes are simply not strong or not as strong as others.
I would suggest those who are complaining had expectations that where way too high.
He fills the need for a back up who can play a bit forward. As we go on he either improves or others pass him.

Remove this Banner Ad