AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright 🏅 - pleads guilty at tribunal, 4 week suspension - 26/3

20 - peter wright.jpg

Contract Status: Free Agent (?) 2027
My Boy Draft 2024: Pick 21, TheGrizz

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually he does. Or someone does. We are very thin on key forwards, Joey's left, and realistically we have one, still developing, ruckman.
Well no. You do not use future 4th round picks to solve the big issues on your list.
Stewart , Stringer and Walla will have to share the load and kick 30 odd and big Pete can kick 20 odd. :cool:

Apr 26, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aston Villa
Matthew Lloyd has slammed his former club Essendon for failing to plan for life after Joe Daniher, expecting the Bombers to drop even further in 2021. Essendon secured Gold Coast key forward Peter Wright on Tuesday as the man to fill the boots of Daniher, following his departure to Brisbane via free agency. Lloyd told Trade Radio the lack of planning wasn't good enough, with Daniher wanting out 12 months earlier.
"You've got to have at least one genuine gun forward in that group, which the Bombers won't have," Lloyd said. "I would have thought that Essendon had something lined up. "There's been Charlie Dixon, there's been Tom Lynch, there's been Jeremy Cameron, have something years in the making where you've just been lining up a key forward."

Come on Rutten give 2MP some extra motivation, print this out and stick on Wright's locker. Sheeds would have!!
Does someone need to remind Lloyd that we’ve been without Daniher for 3 years?

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
Does someone need to remind Lloyd that we’ve been without Daniher for 3 years?

He is still right though, but since Lloyd/Lucas our KPF have been a bunch of injury prone blokes with 80% of them father sons so there hasnt really been much planning since Lloyd, well besides Gumbleton who we banked on getting fit for about 8 years...

He is still right though, but since Lloyd/Lucas our KPF have been a bunch of injury prone blokes with 80% of them father sons so there hasnt really been much planning since Lloyd, well besides Gumbleton who we banked on getting fit for about 8 years...
We never gave up on Joe, brought in Stewart and Stringer to support. Drafted Jones last year. Not sure what Lloydy is on about

bombreys

Club Legend
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
We never gave up on Joe, brought in Stewart and Stringer to support. Drafted Jones last year. Not sure what Lloydy is on about

He was talking about a FF to replace Joe. None of Stewart, Stringer or Jones fill that need. He does have a point - even if we kept Joe, we really should have had a developing FF on the list. Tippa lead our goalkicking this year - that's an issue.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

You can't exclude father-sons from the planning just because it is convenient. I'd expected any list manager to plan around the advantage of having a gun father-son or NGA.

This idea that there has been no planning is, let's just say, unconvincing.

The life after Lloyd planning started with Neagle and Gumbleton. You could include Ryder given his athletic attributes and the reality we were always looking to play him with another ruckman (once he started rucking).

We then bring in Hurley in 2008, who was equally amazing at both ends in his first year, and Michael Still, who had a very good first year in the VFL kicking something like 30 goals (it is not clear what happened there).

Post-Lloyd, Carlisle is immediately brought in in the 2009 draft. He was always playing both ends and started with us playing forward (the talk here was that Carlisle may have superseded Gumby by the end of 2010). It was Hird who then swapped Carlisle and Hurley around and it turned out that Carlisle was a bit of a baby, having a sook about playing forward despite his obvious ability as a forward.

On this issue of the swingmen, the falling apart of Pears who started his career a very promising player and initial fragility of Hooker should be factored into planning.

Josh Jenkins was identified as a rookie because he was doing outrageous things for a man of his size.

In 2012 we recruit Daniher, a once in a generation talent. We then lose Ryder and Carlisle, which has nothing to do with planning, and go and find Stewart, a hard working foil to partner Daniher for the rest of his career (given they happened to be the exact same age). Daniher and Stewart are now in their 27th years. We're not even at the point that we would be starting to invest in more than projects to replace them both. That player has been Eyre, for 18 months, by the way. We also recruited Gown.

Since Daniher announced he wanted out: we recruited Harry Jones, immediately got into Logan McDonald's ear, recruited Bryan (with Draper a clear number 1, meaning Bryan was always being thought of as something else because of his raw athleticism), recruited a 197cm Irishman as a project and took on a 204cm strong marking ruckman as some further insurance (just before the season started). We have 198cm key forward Josh Eyre tied to our NGA (he has a raw athletic profile that is superior to JUH). We have just signed Wright who I understand we have kept tabs on the whole time because he is an Essendon local.

What it means when we hear that Essendon has not planned for life after Daniher is that it has not secured a gun replacement. There was no one available last year. By the end of this, there was no reason such a player would want to come to us. I am yet to hear how we were supposed to secure a gun by the end of 2020 and why that is now a necessity.

Last edited:

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
You can't exclude father-sons from the planning just because it is convenient. I'd expected any list manager to plan around the advantage of having a gun father-son or NGA.

The life after Lloyd planning started with Neagle and Gumbleton. You could include Ryder given his athletic attributes and the reality we were always looking to play him with another ruckman (once he started rucking).

We then bring in Hurley in 2008, who was equally amazing at both ends in his first year, and Michael Still, who had a very good first year in the VFL kicking something like 30 goals (it is not clear what happened there).

Post-Lloyd, Carlisle is immediately brought in in the 2009 draft. He was always playing both ends and started with us playing forward (the talk here was that Carlisle may have superseded Gumby by the end of 2010). It was Hird who then swapped Carlisle and Hurley around and it turned out that Carlisle was a bit of a baby, having a sook about playing forward despite his obvious ability as a forward.

On this issue of the swingmen, the falling apart of Pears who started his career a very promising player and initial fragility of Hooker should be factored into planning.

Josh Jenkins was identified as a rookie because he was doing outrageous things for a man of his size.

In 2012 we recruit Daniher, a once in a generation talent. We then lose Ryder and Carlisle, which has nothing to do with planning, and go and find Stewart, a hard working foil to partner Daniher for the rest of his career (given they happened to be the exact same age). Daniher and Stewart are now in their 27th years. We're not even at the point that we would be starting to invest in more than projects to replace them both. That player has been Eyre, for 18 months, by the way. We also recruited Gown.

Since Daniher announced he wanted out: we recruited Harry Jones, immediately got into Logan McDonald's ear, recruited Bryan (with Draper a clear number 1, meaning Bryan was always being thought of as something else because of his raw athleticism), recruited a 197cm Irishman as a project and took on a 204cm strong marking ruckman as some further insurance (just before the season started). We have 198cm key forward Josh Eyre tied to our NGA (he has a raw athletic profile that is superior to JUH). We have just signed Wright who I understand we have kept tabs on the whole time because he is an Essendon local.

What it means when we hear that Essendon has not planned for life after Daniher is that it has not secured a gun replacement. There was no one available last year. By the end of this, there was no reason such a player would want to come to us. I am yet to hear how we were supposed to secure a gun by the end of 2020 and why that is now a necessity.
Yep spot on. Lloyd completely missed the mark for me.

Also, how does he ignore the fact that we were speaking to Jeremy Cameron to try and lure him? Cameron chose Geelong over us, but we still reached out and made the attempt. A player not wanting to come us isn't a failure in planning. We settled for Wright, who is the best KPF available to us.

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
Yep spot on. Lloyd completely missed the mark for me.

Also, how does he ignore the fact that we were speaking to Jeremy Cameron to try and lure him? Cameron chose Geelong over us, but we still reached out and made the attempt. A player not wanting to come us isn't a failure in planning. We settled for Wright, who is the best KPF available to us.
Lloyd has previously said we should have gone after Brown.

Was he also hoping we get Tom MacDonald too? I thought someone mentioned he was, but in all honesty I haven't thought much of Lloyd as a media commentator or thinker at all. Great player and love the memories of him, but I reckon he would make us worse if he was in charge of any "planning".

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Lloyd has previously said we should have gone after Brown.

Was he also hoping we get Tom MacDonald too? I thought someone mentioned he was, but in all honesty I haven't thought much of Lloyd as a media commentator or thinker at all. Great player and love the memories of him, but I reckon he would make us worse if he was in charge of any "planning".

I'm sure I've heard Lloyd talk McDonald down as not a forward.

Ben Brown is all that was really available. He's currently seen as such a gun he was forced out of North for pick 33. That really is perplexing.

I accept Brown is a good player with a very good record from 2016 to 2019. I do not accept he is the sort of player who is going to change Essendon's fortunes much if at all next year. I don't think we can provide him the well oiled machine he needs to play his best. As soon as he knew Melbourne was interested, I reckon that settled it anyway. There is something about him in that forward line that makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm also optimistic about a full season of Stewart and Wright. Two talented guys with more great attributes than not, points to prove and the opportunity to do it.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2008
NASA
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg
Obviously he has his flaws, that's why he's just been salary dumped for a 4th round pick.
Flaws or not, we're also seeing serious cap squeeze across the league right now. You just can't afford to be paying serious money to depth players coming into 2021, and GC were throwing those contracts at high picks over recent years whether by necessity or otherwise. It seems a great opportunity for the clubs who do have cap space.

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
If Stewart and Wright could kick 60 goals between them, that would be a huge win for us. Optimistic but I think they could.

I'm sure I've heard Lloyd talk McDonald down as not a forward.

Ben Brown is all that was really available. He's currently seen as such a gun he was forced out of North for pick 33. That really is perplexing.

I accept Brown is a good player with a very good record from 2016 to 2019. I do not accept he is the sort of player who is going to change Essendon's fortunes much if at all next year. I don't think we can provide him the well oiled machine he needs to play his best. As soon as he knew Melbourne was interested, I reckon that settled it anyway. There is something about him in that forward line that makes a lot of sense to me.

I'm also optimistic about a full season of Stewart and Wright. Two talented guys with more great attributes than not, points to prove and the opportunity to do it.

Hooker will play forward and kick 40+ goals.:cool:
That is my prediction. Not based on any fact or inside knowledge what so ever.:)

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen

tl;dr

we get decent talls but either (a) don't develop them properly (physically or mentally) and they * off, or, (b) they simply are ok.

tl;dr

we get decent talls but either (a) don't develop them properly (physically or mentally) and they fu** off, or, (b) they simply are ok.
c) injured

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Not the sexiest addition to our list but arguably the most important imho. The addition of Wright allows us to keep a structure and not need to throw one of our young talls to the wolves.

I don't expect him to kick 70 goals but a contribution of 1.5 goals a game isn't too far fetched, the bloke just needs opportunity and tat is something we can give.

MiguelM

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I think we can really use him Hawkins style for the stoppages inside 50. Will be a handy chop out for Draper there.

He is certainly no Daniher in terms of talent but if we can get 25-30 goals out of him we are in front IMO.

It’s tough to predict what exactly we’ll see from Two Metre Peter in 2021. Three years ago, he was rated by Champion Data as the best 20-year-old in the competition and ahead of Jeremy Cameron, Taylor Walker and Jesse Hogan’s output when they were the same age. He has a stack of potential and is just 24-years-old, but couldn’t get a game in 2020 with the Suns, so perhaps expectations need to be tempered. He seems a direct replacement for Joe Daniher in terms of role, with Matthew Lloyd saying a minimum of a goal a game should be expected.

Back