20 premierships by 2050

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you reckon Clarkson will put up with Kennett?
Do you reckon the board would endorse Kennett if Clarkson really had a problem with working alongside Kennett?

Do you reckon the board would endorse Kennett if Clarkson really had a problem with working alongside Kennett?

You think the Board had a debate about whether Clarkson had an issue with Kennett?
There wouldn’t have been any discussion about it.

It was pre-arranged that it was Garvey out and Kennett in.

I certainly do.

We now have a board with very little in the way of footy smarts, presided over by someone with none.

Not a Ron Cook,Sandy Ferguson or Phillip Ryan in sight.

All past footballers have abandoned ship.

Your graph is selective. Try a proper one from from 1925.

The board has panicked and it will take more than a loud abrasive mouth to mend the fabric of that board.

We are lucky to have someone like Clarkson on the payroll and the team he has recruited,both staff and players.

We are in danger of fading out of premiership contention as Kennett's old team did in the 1965.

It's been a good run for me since I was a kid in 1955. Hawthorn values are important to me.

Well your obviously leaning towards the left, your criticism of Jeff is going beyond the joke at least we have a voice again as Jeff will stand up for our rights against the AFL when it is necessary and not just being puppets....so yes i call you very biased.

so does your support for jeff make you right wing? What a s**t thread!

I certainly do.

We now have a board with very little in the way of footy smarts, presided over by someone with none.

Not a Ron Cook,Sandy Ferguson or Phillip Ryan in sight.

All past footballers have abandoned ship.

Your graph is selective. Try a proper one from from 1925.

The board has panicked and it will take more than a loud abrasive mouth to mend the fabric of that board.

We are lucky to have someone like Clarkson on the payroll and the team he has recruited,both staff and players.

We are in danger of fading out of premiership contention as Kennett's old team did in the 1965.

It's been a good run for me since I was a kid in 1955. Hawthorn values are important to me.
Does a board need to have footy experience to know how to manage a club? I would prefer all business people than all footballers, that's for sure. A mix is nice to have, but not necessarily necessary.

I have no idea what makes you think the board has panicked, or that we are in danger of fading out of contention. To completely subjective comments with no hard evidence to back them up.

Does a board need to have footy experience to know how to manage a club? I would prefer all business people than all footballers, that's for sure. A mix is nice to have, but not necessarily necessary.

I have no idea what makes you think the board has panicked, or that we are in danger of fading out of contention. To completely subjective comments with no hard evidence to back them up.
Spot on. The board are there to make business decisions. The football department are there to make football decisions. As long as the board don’t meddle with football department decisions I’m fine with how things are.

Spot on. The board are there to make business decisions. The football department are there to make football decisions. As long as the board don’t meddle with football department decisions I’m fine with how things are.

Except they need to be able to talk the same language. They're not independent authorities, they're interdependent.
If the football department describes what it needs and why, but business admin only hear 'yada yada yada MOOEY DOLLARS', then they are not as likely to designate the budget in a football dept. friendly manner, or even simply fight over decisions that create division and distrust when the issues should have been easily navigated.

There needs to be common understanding for a club to run smooth, as an example business managers who have never had football (or possibly sports) experience would be at a huge disadvantage understanding why a team is underperforming, individual players struggling, why some contracts should be extended and others not, if the coach is at fault or his playing group has stopped listening...

I think a representative or two in the boardroom with at least ammo playing experience would be a enormous plus, with Hawthorn 1st's or 2nd's experience an even greater advantage.

Welcome to arguing with partisans mate. They get to just make s**t up and then feel that they don’t have to present anything in the way of facts to back them up. It’s why despite having an interest in politics I would never get involved. So many people who aren’t even willing to have their mind changed. The myopic ‘rusted-ons’ on both sides of politics are just painfully ignorant people.

Except they need to be able to talk the same language. They're not independent authorities, they're interdependent.
If the football department describes what it needs and why, but business admin only hear 'yada yada yada MOOEY DOLLARS', then they are not as likely to designate the budget in a football dept. friendly manner, or even simply fight over decisions that create division and distrust when the issues should have been easily navigated.

There needs to be common understanding for a club to run smooth, as an example business managers who have never had football (or possibly sports) experience would be at a huge disadvantage understanding why a team is underperforming, individual players struggling, why some contracts should be extended and others not, if the coach is at fault or his playing group has stopped listening...

I think a representative or two in the boardroom with at least ammo playing experience would be a enormous plus, with Hawthorn 1st's or 2nd's experience an even greater advantage.
I’d argue good business people (which we seemingly have on our board) know when and how to take expert advice and are good collaborators. And when Hawthorn’s business is primarily football they’d be fools not to listen to the very people employeed to win at it. Just like how a great CEO can be a great CEO in multiple industries.

As long as our board and football department can work together and trust the other to know what they’re doing (both Clarko and Kennett have those runs on the board at Hawthorn) then I don’t see it as strictly necessary to have another Dunstall on the board. That said, I’d love to get that last member of the dream team back on the (premier)ship.

Welcome to arguing with partisans mate. They get to just make s**t up and then feel that they don’t have to present anything in the way of facts to back them up. It’s why despite having an interest in politics I would never get involved. So many people who aren’t even willing to have their mind changed. The myopic ‘rusted-ons’ on both sides of politics are just painfully ignorant people.

You think maybe you're going a little hard 89' ?
I mean, it's ok for some people not to be Jeffites, right? Whether you like their reasons, or whether they supply any at all...
Don't think anyone's called for Kennett's oustering, merely than they are not enamoured with all the things he says and how he says them.
Think that's alright without you belittling everyone who doesn't agree with you.

For what it's worth, I voted once for Kennett and once against him. Doesn't make me more even minded or handed than someone who's never voted against they're political leanings or social understandings, it's just how things ring in our ears.

I’d argue good business people (which we seemingly have on our board) know when and how to take expert advice and are good collaborators. And when Hawthorn’s business is primarily football they’d be fools not to listen to the very people employeed to win at it. Just like how a great CEO can be a great CEO in multiple industries.

As long as our board and football department can work together and trust the other to know what they’re doing (both Clarko and Kennett have those runs on the board at Hawthorn) then I don’t see it as strictly necessary to have another Dunstall on the board. That said, I’d love to get that last member of the dream team back on the (premier)ship.

Fair enough, except you know it's the business people who get to decide if the football people continue in their jobs right, not the other way around. ;)

ok so Kennett set out a plan for the next 33 years which is ballsy, Kennett is the only person brave enough and with a big enough profile to put Hawthorn in the papers and on radio consistantly talking about the positive direction of our football club

* 7 premierships in the next 33 years
* 100k members
* AFLW License
* Extend partnership with Tassie
* fundng for Dingley or other location for new centre
* maintain financial indepedence from AFL
* community leaders Indigenous and womans affairs

all of these things seem like common sense and having a plan and direction seem like good things, the pressure for 7 premierships in 33 years can be good or bad, depending on the character of the players/coaches at different times at our club, but i would rather have some pressure for performance than an exceptance of mediocrity that overcame this club in the late 90's early 2000's when we were recovering from going bankrupt and nearly merging.....

I mean, it's ok for some people not to be Jeffites, right? Whether you like their reasons, or whether they supply any at all...
Don't think anyone's called for Kennett's oustering, merely than they are not enamoured with all the things he says and how he says them.
Think that's alright without you belittling everyone who doesn't agree with you.

For what it's worth, I voted once for Kennett and once against him. Doesn't make me more even minded or handed than someone who's never voted against they're political leanings or social understandings, it's just how things ring in our ears.

NO, they're against the president of our football club, they better have a good god damn reason for being pricks.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m fine with people not agreeing with me - it happens a lot. What I can’t stomach is people who just make bullshit statements and then when you ask them to offer their reasoning they just jump to the next rant and won’t answer your question.

The board (which included ex-players in Gowers and Vandenberg) put together the vision - it was in play before Jeff’s arrival (something he mentioned in his speech) yet because Jeff gave the speech people here who don’t like his political past are ready to just deride the entire plan because they don’t like the bloke. To me that’s a crap way to react to something that if is achieved will be beneficial for the club and provide its supporters continued joy.

I’m not a ‘Jeffite’ but I am enjoying the increase in communication since he has come back on board. It’s good to have a president who is acting as an advocate for the club. Being that I’m not remotely interested in partisan politics - when it comes to his political past then I’d have disagreed with a lot of what he did but likely agreed with some as well.

And I can guarantee you that the partisan mob on here would have Kennett’s oustering if they could. There are people here who I honestly think want him to fail even if that means the club failing as well. That is honestly how they come across.

Fair enough, except you know it's the business people who get to decide if the football people continue in their jobs right, not the other way around. ;)

Not really. The footy department are the reason Gaudry got sacked and Garvey subsequently relinquishing the presidency. They have some power.

ok so Kennett set out a plan for the next 33 years which is ballsy, Kennett is the only person brave enough and with a big enough profile to put Hawthorn in the papers and on radio consistantly talking about the positive direction of our football club

* 7 premierships in the next 33 years
* 100k members
* AFLW License
* Extend partnership with Tassie
* fundng for Dingley or other location for new centre
* maintain financial indepedence from AFL
* community leaders Indigenous and womans affairs

all of these things seem like common sense and having a plan and direction seem like good things, the pressure for 7 premierships in 33 years can be good or bad, depending on the character of the players/coaches at different times at our club, but i would rather have some pressure for performance than an exceptance of mediocrity that overcame this club in the late 90's early 2000's when we were recovering from going bankrupt and nearly merging.....

I like it. It's a direction we need to focus on Into the future.

One thing that I'm curious about. The 'funding for Dingley or other location for new centre'.

Other location? Are we not locked in at Dingley?

NO, they're against the president of our football club, they better have a good god damn reason for being pricks.....

Uhh, we had posters on here suggesting certain Hawthorn leaders were suspect because they haven't always been Hawk supporters.:drunk:
Kennett's work history is pretty well documented, both with us and in business and in public office.
You REALLY want to hash out his career episode by episode?

The things that are unquestionable are his energy, his will, his strength of purpose, his loyalty to a cause, and ultimately, his likely benefit to our cause. Though there are many pursuits I think him completely unfit for, club president I think fits him to a T.

Not really. The footy department are the reason Gaudry got sacked and Garvey subsequently relinquishing the presidency. They have some power.

Reeeeeallly. You're going to argue where the hiring power and firing power lies in a football club?
I guess some people are so beholden to their position you can't reach them even with traditional logic and facts.;)

Reeeeeallly. You're going to argue where the hiring power and firing power lies in a football club?
I guess some people are so beholden to their position you can't reach them even with traditional logic and facts.;)

I’m not arguing where the chain of command is. I’m saying that the footy department were threatening mass resignations so the board reacted.

I don't think it's just his politics that puts people off with Kennett, some just don't like his personality. He does tend to speak first and think later if asked to comment off the cuff at times, but I'm confident he has his priorities in order for the club (Mentioned when he returned as President, forget them all but included : strong administration/governance, staff welfare, profitability, Dingley, and on field success) - he will hold others to account and others will hold him to account ;he's self confident but he's also intelligent.

I don't understand how people can give Kennett no credit for any of our achievements so far - five 2 fifty was a very ambitious plan at the time, and he's set another one. Ignoring the long term part of it, aiming for two premierships and 100,000 members in the next five years sounds good to me - ambitious but not impossible,and I think everyone at the club would be behind it.

True. But when it comes down to it we, the members, can make that call on the boards jobs if required. I don’t expect we’ll have any issues. We seemingly have great leadership and minds in both areas. :)

It's like:

- Anyone who dislike's Jeff can never express a legitimate critical opinion on his actions as a president;

and

- Anyone who expresses a critical opinion of Jeff's actions is a person who actually dislikes Jeff;

and so this circular logic is infallible...

And..............

- it is however perfectly okay to say you will support whatever actions that jeff takes on the basis that he is our president

and

- if faced with a critic, move the conversation to the above.
Goes both ways

Firstly,"our history since 1961" ....... Jeff was barracking for Melbourne FC back then , the team he wanted "us" to merge with in 1996 and offered to become president of fairly recently.

Bookies would ROFL at the odds of Jeff's "plan".

Then again you prolly have a better chance of winning there than on Jeff's Amtek poker machines.
2 points here Dave.

Firstly, we are talking about Jeff the HFC President, not the former Victorian Premier. Leave the politics out of this discussion.

Secondly, you do realise that Garvey barracked for Essedon, Clarkson played at North Melbourne & Melbourne ?

So Jeff’s heart can not be with HFC because he may have barracked for another club, yet I’ve never seen 1 post from you criticizing Garvey or Clarkson due to where their loyalties used to lie

Remove this Banner Ad

Back