Delisted 20. Ryan Gardner (2016 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe he will , maybe he will not... getting him in 12 month time might be difficult as we have traded our R1 out. Id still think the odds of a Brother amalgamation is more likely in red than blue and white hoops.

Bringing in player like Gardner covers long term occurrences ..in more way than one.
I think that if Jake wanted to join his brother at the Suns then he would be there already.

I'm not saying that it will happen at the end of 2016, but it is only a matter of time until KK is a Geelong player IMO.

Tasmanians...gentlemen! Great comments and much appreciated. My last two kids were born in Hobart...always proud Tasmanians. LOVE the ISLAND.
Identical twins?

There are all types of key defenders, and I think the best, most well rounded back line consists of 3 types of tall defender that all work as one unit...

1. The big lockdown full back that plays on the biggest forwards. This is lonergan. Arguably the most important player in the team.

2. More mobile rebounding CHB. Can cover the ground well, float over packs and do damage on the rebound, yet still big enough to play on very tall forwards. This is Taylor and Henderson.

3. The third tall. Can play on smalls as well as the second or third tall. Contributes more than other key defenders above in general play due to mobility. This is the josh Gibson or kolo type player.

What is evident above is we have the 2nd well covered with Taylor and Henderson and we have our third tall in kolo. We have no one to play that no.1 type role after lonergan. Can one of hendo, Taylor or kolo play that role? I think hendo would be the one who has to but would still struggle one on one.

When I look at Gardner I see him as fitting in to no.3 above. Good skills but too much of a slim build to be the category 1 key defender we require. i know he is young but he has a very narrow build. A Mitch brown/mackie build.

After lonergan (and Taylor) are gone, our 3 tall defenders may be kolo, hendo and Gardner (being a 3/2/3 combo). I'm not sure those 3 will work together as well as the lonergan/Taylor/rivers combo as I think the best combo is a mixture of 1/2/3.

There are all types of key defenders, and I think the best, most well rounded back line consists of 3 types of tall defender that all work as one unit...

1. The big lockdown full back that plays on the biggest forwards. This is lonergan. Arguably the most important player in the team.

2. More mobile rebounding CHB. Can cover the ground well, float over packs and do damage on the rebound, yet still big enough to play on very tall forwards. This is Taylor and Henderson.

3. The third tall. Can play on smalls as well as the second or third tall. Contributes more than other key defenders above in general play due to mobility. This is the josh Gibson or kolo type player.

What is evident above is we have the 2nd well covered with Taylor and Henderson and we have our third tall in kolo. We have no one to play that no.1 type role after lonergan. Can one of hendo, Taylor or kolo play that role? I think hendo would be the one who has to but would still struggle one on one.

When I look at Gardner I see him as fitting in to no.3 above. Good skills but too much of a slim build to be the category 1 key defender we require. i know he is young but he has a very narrow build. A Mitch brown/mackie build.

After lonergan (and Taylor) are gone, our 3 tall defenders may be kolo, hendo and Gardner (being a 3/2/3 combo). I'm not sure those 3 will work together as well as the lonergan/Taylor/rivers combo as I think the best combo is a mixture of 1/2/3.
Dont discount Cam Delaney, I watched his VFL games last year and he looks Class with a preseason under his belt he will push for selection IMO.

Good breakdown. Like it. Id suggest in my head that Hendo is the Domsy cover that allows to play HT the same role for the next few years.
Kolo to become, as you suggested, another #2. The rest… we will see. Thurlow the next Mackie type.. runs off, plays taller when needed….

And then there is Delaney…. he's a biggish unit.

Go Catters

I just think hendo is a classic 2 (in my category) and may leave us with our hearts a bit in our mouth defending one on one in the goal square on big forwards ... Whereas we'd feel quite comfortable if it was lonergan wrestling.

I rate Henderson, but he is very similar to Taylor. Good at floating across packs, rebounding and covering the ground. I think his weakness is one on one on big forwards. Scarlett was something special as he was all 1,2 and 3.

Egan was a 1 and 2.

Kolo maybe a 3 to become a 2. Gardner just looks like a 3 as I don't think he will be strong enough.

I don't think mackie is a key defender period, despite having the ability to play as one of we are desperate. And I'm not putting any expectations on Delaney to be honest.

But my main point is, whilst we have gone for some key defensive cover in the short/medium term, I think our long term key defensive stocks are very much a work in progress. To make it work as well as it has in the past, we need a 1/2/3 combo. Scarlett/Egan/Harley and lonergan/Taylor/rivers are all 1/2/3 combos.

When lonergan retires, we will have a 2/2/3 category with hendo/Taylor/kolo.

Might be over-analysing after we've had some of the best back lines in the modern era... But it's shown me what the perfect key defensive structure is. For this reason I feel we should've gone Glass-McCasker instead because he looks more of a 1.

Last edited:

Don't think much of your assumption... "he'd only be capable of a taking 3rd tall/small as a defender,"... played CHB for Bernie in the TSL as a 17 year old and touched up none less than Robbie Tarrant and Mitch Thorpe in the process.
At 197cms I think he's more likely a central key defender, time will tell.

Last edited:
I think that if Jake wanted to join his brother at the Suns then he would be there already.

I'm not saying that it will happen at the end of 2016, but it is only a matter of time until KK is a Geelong player IMO.

I hope you are right... how hard would we go to make that trade happen ... does success or lack of it play a role for both clubs. I could imagine your outcome more likely if Jake was playing finals at the end of this year and KK still had failed to taste Sept footy

I see these as more match day roles then play types. Some players like Scarlett and Taylor were/are capable of playing all three to a high level while Lonergan could be said to be able to do the first to a high level. It often depends on the individual characteristics of the match up. Taylor can be a lock down defender against some key forwards but gets torn a part by others. The same might be true about Henderson. When a KPD is a capable of providing rebounding effectively it can seem to be a waste to use them in a lock down role. Teams often prefer to use a "less skilled" player in that lock down role even if the "rebounder" is a better lock down player.

I also think it's a bit early to lock Gardner into any type of role. Who knows what his body shape will be like after a couple of pre-seasons. He's 18 and 196cm tall most kids of that age and height will be lanky.

I'm hoping he'll turn out like "Matt Egan",....friggin' near impassable. :D

I hope that all our defenders roll out like that.

I hope you are right... how hard would we go to make that trade happen ... does success or lack of it play a role for both clubs. I could imagine your outcome more likely if Jake was playing finals at the end of this year and KK still had failed to taste Sept footy
I think that we would go pretty hard in order to make it happen. He is the exact type of player that we will need once Enright and Mackie retire.

I also find it interesting that KK was holidaying with his bro and his team mates rather than the other way around....

I think that potential future success will play a part in their decision, but how do you judge that? I think that club culture will play a big part in their decision and that is where we come out way in front of the Suns and the main reason as to why KK will be joining us rather than us losing JK IMO.

I think that we would go pretty hard in order to make it happen. He is the exact type of player that we will need once Enright and Mackie retire.

I also find it interesting that KK was holidaying with his bro and his team mates rather than the other way around....

I think that potential future success will play a part in their decision, but how do you judge that? I think that club culture will play a big part in their decision and that is where we come out way in front of the Suns and the main reason as to why KK will be joining us rather than us losing JK IMO.

Not going to read to much into the KK and JK holiday associates - HOWEVER, it does make you wonder of the culture of GCS, that Zac Smith has just made a point of leaving, is a bigger issue up there than some consider. And if so, get around him!

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kolo is a beast. In time people will realise this....

Not going to read to much into the KK and JK holiday associates - HOWEVER, it does make you wonder of the culture of GCS, that Zac Smith has just made a point of leaving, is a bigger issue up there than some consider. And if so, get around him!

Go Catters

I still reckon by the end of their careers, we'll have the better Kolodjashnij. Key defenders are absolutely invaluable and hes been our most exciting since Taylor, younger too. Cant see Kade moving home though (or closer to home in this instance), doesnt a sister live up there?

Kolo is a beast. In time people will realise this....
I can see him today playing on Hawkins or Cloke as the monsters.

However, that is not to say that he can't down the track. At least thats where im at right now. And as Scralo gets more into him, Id say the likelihood of anything being possible increases.

Go Catters

Interesting analysis. Do you think GFC think the day of the not so mobile big forward are numbered?

Hawthorn seem to have pioneered a forward line where Roughead is the KPF (and he spends good time on the ball, leaving room for more mobile mid talls).

The bigger KPD going forward might need to be more mobile?

I can see him today playing on Hawkins or Cloke as the monsters.

However, that is not to say that he can't down the track. At least thats where im at right now. And as Scralo gets more into him, Id say the likelihood of anything being possible increases.

Go Catters
Lonergan wouldn't have been able to play on the monsters at 20 years old either.

If anything, he's ahead of schedule....

Interesting analysis. Do you think GFC think the day of the not so mobile big forward are numbered?

Hawthorn seem to have pioneered a forward line where Roughead is the KPF (and he spends good time on the ball, leaving room for more mobile mid talls).

The bigger KPD going forward might need to be more mobile?

...you mean mobile...like Vardy?....

...you mean mobile...like Vardy?....

I guess I mean more mobile than Cloke and Hawkins. Vardy is more mobile and goes part the way there.

I was thinking more of the younger breed - Hogan and McCarthy (GWS) and Boyd all look lean and fairly agile, but I suppose they have plenty of time to muscle up ( and slow down).

he won't even make it to 20 senior games mate.
Another one of those players we were completely negligent bringing in to the club unfortunately.

I hope you're very wrong, we're desperate for someone with his size and power, especially the power. I believe he's still on the light duties list from what I've recently read, not good so fingers crossed he's ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back