Delisted 20. Ryan Gardner (2016 - 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

I rate this kid. He looks like a competitor and has a good frame to develop. I rate his chances much higher to make it than Buzza when it comes to playing as a key post.

They want him to be 103kg? Seems excessive...

It's hard to tell what the typical KPFs weigh these days, half the teams just don't update the players billed weights with any reasonable frequency. But guys like Hawkins and Cloke are billed at 108 Kg, Franklin and Jenkins at 107 Kg, Josh Kennedy at 103 kgs. These numbers seem reasonable. And if Gardnier is going to line up against these types of players he is going to need to be big.

Most key defenders are 95-98kg, 103kg seems a bit ridiculous. Talia,Hurley,Carlisle,Rance and McGovern are all under 100kg.

My mistake...it wasn't that particular article ( I should have double checked) but I did read an article that stated the club wanted him (Gardner) to be around 103kg's.....Shaun was quoting that article but now I can't find it.:mad::$

EDIT...found the reference that stated Gardners target weight was to be 103kg"s.....funnily enough from one of your posts. :eek:

Here tis....

Yep, right there in black and white.

The 196cm Tasmanian weighed 89kg when he walked through the doors of Simonds Stadium last November – he is now 95kg but has a target weight of 103kg – and knew with Harry Taylor, Tom Lonergan and Lachie Henderson stationed inside the Cats' defensive 50 breaking into the senior team would most likely prove a long-term task.

They may have to revise that target weight in the future.
He moves well for a big kid.

Yep, right there in black and white.

They may have to revise that target weight in the future.
He moves well for a big kid.

Im not sure what ideal weight would be , but if he can still be mobile at 100 great. But mid 90's now , id have to say he will be pushing for a game in 17

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quote:
"Second-year defender Ryan Gardner is hoping a recent growth spurt will help him win a place in the Cats' backline during the 2017 AFL season.

The 19-year-old Tasmanian has grown two centimetres in recent months and has also added quite a bit of weight to his 199cm frame".

Gardner also claims in the video that he has put on 10 kilos and he is now around 99 kgs.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2017-01-10/gardner-eyeing-an-afl-debut

Last edited:
Quote:
"Second-year defender Ryan Gardner is hoping a recent growth spurt will help him win a place in the Cats' backline during the 2017 AFL season.

The 19-year-old Tasmanian has grown two centimetres in recent months and has also added quite a bit of weight to his 199cm frame".

Gardner also claims in the video that he has put on 10 kilos and he is now around 99 kgs.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2017-01-10/gardner-eyeing-an-afl-debut
Could be the ideal replacement for Lonergan. Has the reach and size now.

If only a growth spurt and added weight was enough to ensure you an AFL game hey :)

Let's see how the boy plays first before we start locking him in ahead of Kolodjashnij, Henderson or Taylor. Blicavs is another one that has looked pretty handy during his stints down back during 2015.

Could be the ideal replacement for Lonergan. Has the reach and size now.

If only a growth spurt and added weight was enough to ensure you an AFL game hey :)

Let's see how the boy plays first before we start locking him in ahead of Kolodjashnij, Henderson or Taylor. Blicavs is another one that has looked pretty handy during his stints down back during 2015.

CatRiot has not mentioned anything about the kid being a "lock in". He has simply stated that due to Gardner's size and reach he is now a possibility. And that is all that the word "could" means in the context that he has used it in.

and another wannabe moderator in the making :rolleyes:

No mate, just someone who finds your constant arrogance a little tiring.
You misrepresented CatRiot and you don't like it because you have been called out on it.
Learn from it and move on.

Yeah, I wasn't intending that he's a lock, just has the size now for AFL footy, especially for a key post. I think he has potential from what I've seen of him and with Scarlett and Enright coaching him, I think he has terrific upside.

Yeah, I wasn't intending that he's a lock, just has the size now for AFL footy, especially for a key post. I think he has potential from what I've seen of him and with Scarlett and Enright coaching him, I think he has terrific upside.
very much agree..

Long way to go... But great tools to work with.. And having Scarlo and Boris to be coached by.. Perhaps the best defensive coaches going around...

Go Catters

"GEELONG is preparing to again experiment playing key defender Ryan Gardner up forward in the VFL when the Cats host Williamstown at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday morning.

Gardner has been named at centre half-forward for Geelong’s crucial clash against the fifth-placed Seagulls as the Cats look to get their season back on track following two narrow losses to Collingwood and Essendon the past fortnight".

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl-news/gardner-to-go-forward/

"GEELONG is preparing to again experiment playing key defender Ryan Gardner up forward in the VFL when the Cats host Williamstown at GMHBA Stadium on Saturday morning.

Gardner has been named at centre half-forward for Geelong’s crucial clash against the fifth-placed Seagulls as the Cats look to get their season back on track following two narrow losses to Collingwood and Essendon the past fortnight".

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl-news/gardner-to-go-forward/
Sure he's been named there on a team announcement, but that's not the same thing as proof that he'll play up forward for some or all of the game. Be interesting to see what actually happens.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back