Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Sam Reid is so much better than XR it's insulting to Reid to even compare the two. I don't think XR has been savaged though. He's been, a bit unfairly imo, laughed at for testing the waters, but at the end of the day he was a reasonable player for us. If not for a bullshit display by umpires, he'd have a Premiership medal.

Gotta love this club and the key personnel that get thinks like this done seamlessly. That's nearly all our key players signed up to 2020/21/22 & 23 for Mills.

Gives us clear air to work in for the upcoming trade period.

All the external talk of Buddy's $ costing us players has basically proven to be hot air. Note that most clubs have a player on Buddy type money now. How much do you reckon Richmond will be paying Dusty, Freo Fyfe, GWS have a number on really big money Cameron on $1mill apparently so clever contract structure has seen us in a boat no different to most other clubs.

I'm very happy with recent contract news, very happy :)

It's because of the new COLA from the AFL, introduced with the trade ban a few years back.

Copping Our Lot Anally.

Sam Reid is so much better than XR it's insulting to Reid to even compare the two. I don't think XR has been savaged though. He's been, a bit unfairly imo, laughed at for testing the waters, but at the end of the day he was a reasonable player for us. If not for a bullshit display by umpires, he'd have a Premiership medal.
Foote would've been a better option than XR. He wouldn't have deserved the medal, and we would've probably won if he wasn't selected, umpiring aside

Only the deserving ones get savaged.

Have not read one single post that savaged Malceski for leaving.
Nobody bagged Mummy for leaving either.

I know this is going off topic, but none of the players deserve to be savaged IMO unless they do something you'd hate your colleague for doing. There is a lot of intense negatively towards players on here if they leave, except in situations where the club benefits directly or gets what it wants. In any situation where a player asks for more money and then leaves, they do get savaged, which I think is ridiculous. Lifestyle, residence and salary mean something to sportspeople as well as you or me. I just don't see why XR, Darren Jolly, T Mitchell etc deserve to cop it - or Reid and Jones if they left.

I p much threw that stats comparison out there just to see how ruthless ppl would be about XR and how defensive of Reid...

I reckon there's a lot of recency bias in people's opinions on this. I cbf digging up old posts but I know coming into finals last year there were heaps of posts on here saying the Swans could think about getting rid of Reid because XR was cheaper alternative and more durable. I remember some people saying he was better.

Anyway, it's a pointless argument, it's just interesting how blacklisted some players can get around here haha... I guess at least we can say we defend our own..?

I reckon there's a lot of recency bias in people's opinions on this. I cbf digging up old posts but I know coming into finals last year there were heaps of posts on here saying the Swans could think about getting rid of Reid because XR was cheaper alternative and more durable. I remember some people saying he was better.

Anyway, it's a pointless argument, it's just interesting how blacklisted some players can get around here haha... I guess at least we can say we defend our own..?

I agree players shouldn't get bagged for leaving. There's very few I've been down on. And I'm certainly not down on XR. But Reid has always been far better in that he stays in and effects ground contests to our advantage.

I know this is going off topic, but none of the players deserve to be savaged IMO unless they do something you'd hate your colleague for doing. T...

So other people need to conform to your opinion and not have their own?

I don't overly like the slagging of ex-players, but there are exceptions.

Ex players: Love em, hate em, slag em off, praise them... make your own mind up and do it your own way

I think George Carlin said it best: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that."

I know this is going off topic, but none of the players deserve to be savaged IMO unless they do something you'd hate your colleague for doing. There is a lot of intense negatively towards players on here if they leave, except in situations where the club benefits directly or gets what it wants. In any situation where a player asks for more money and then leaves, they do get savaged, which I think is ridiculous. Lifestyle, residence and salary mean something to sportspeople as well as you or me. I just don't see why XR, Darren Jolly, T Mitchell etc deserve to cop it - or Reid and Jones if they left.

I p much threw that stats comparison out there just to see how ruthless ppl would be about XR and how defensive of Reid...

I don't slag off players for leaving. At the end of the day they have to do what's best for themselves.

BUT

I do take issue with the revisionism by some players in explaining their motivations for leaving.
There is no shame in leaving for more money, like I said, players have to do what's best for themselves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it is crazy to pile our hope on Sam ..... but .... f*** it .... I am gonna pile my hopes on Sam.

This guy has shown enough in glimpses to be one of our most valuable players over the next four years. Let's hope he makes it happen ...

I don't slag off players for leaving. At the end of the day they have to do what's best for themselves.

BUT

I do take issue with the revisionism by some players in explaining their motivations for leaving.
There is no shame in leaving for more money, like I said, players have to do what's best for themselves.

Fair enough. My counter would be that players are reluctant to say they're leaving a club for more money because they know people will bash them for it in the media, on message boards and on all their social media accounts - which is ridiculous, but it's true.

Anyway, going back to square one, yay Sam!

Apparently on just over $2.2mill for four years, just norf of $550k so that's very reasonable for a KPF.

Jones and Reid have turned their backs on more money from Vic clubs, well done guys, keeps the current squad together and keeps us away from cap problems. That's most of the key players locked away long term, gotta love this club. Contracted to the end of -

2023 Mills
2022 Buddy, Heeney
2021 Hanneberry, Parker, Reid
2020 Kennedy, Florent, Rohan, Melican
2019 KJack, Rampe, Cunninghan, Hayward, Dawson, Jones

Apparently on just over $2.2mill for four years, just norf of $550k so that's very reasonable for a KPF.

Jones and Reid have turned their backs on more money from Vic clubs, well done guys, keeps the current squad together and keeps us away from cap problems. That's most of the key players locked away long term, gotta love this club. Contracted to the end of -

2023 Mills
2022 Buddy, Heeney
2021 Hanneberry, Parker, Reid
2020 Kennedy, Florent, Rohan, Melican
2019 KJack, Rampe, Cunninghan, Hayward, Dawson, Jones

Good post. From that list I get the feeling that Cunningham and Jack should be feeling a little lucky.....

Good post. From that list I get the feeling that Cunningham and Jack should be feeling a little lucky.....

Cunningham was playing really good footy before he got injured. Similarly, K. Jack's form in the second half of the season has been really good.

Cunningham was playing really good footy before he got injured. Similarly, K. Jack's form in the second half of the season has been really good.

Did a quick check and considering Cunningham is still under 25 it seems OK... my word he seems to have been around for ages, I thought he was mid to late 20's. K Jack has been good but it's the length of contract that worries me

Did a quick check and considering Cunningham is still under 25 it seems OK... my word he seems to have been around for ages, I thought he was mid to late 20's. K Jack has been good but it's the length of contract that worries me

I was also shocked to find he was only 23 a few weeks ago. Feel like he could build into a good producer as he gets older.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back