Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

I just wish I'd stop seeing Reid used as an excuse for when we aren't in contention. The guy is just not that good.

Some players become “sum of their parts” players and make a team better not because they’re great but because they all work together...

And he is used as an “excuse” because he is listed amongst other clear best 22 players that are missing from the “sum of the parts”.

Some players become “sum of their parts” players and make a team better not because they’re great but because they all work together...

And he is used as an “excuse” because he is listed amongst other clear best 22 players that are missing from the “sum of the parts”.

Cars have a lot of parts that work together.

They also have passengers

I dont think the reid deal is a dumb deal..you dont let youngish key position players walk if you can help it and they are always going to get paid higher than other comparible players. He is injury prone but it is what it is. If he plays the entire year next year we will be talking about what a good deal it is.

Probably the reason why mccartin hasnt been signed yet, im guessing his manager is really pushing for the higher end of the pay scale for a 18 yr old key forward who has already shown to be a very good mark for his age and experience. Key position players just get paid more,always have and always will

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-11/swans-forward-confident-boom-and-bust-pattern-is-over

Swans forward confident boom and bust pattern is over

Reid is aware of the question marks over his body heading into this season, but fresh off a sparkling training session on Friday, he told AFL.com.au he understands the doubters.

"Luke Parker calls it 'footy fartlek' because I have one season on, one season off," he said with a laugh.

"Amazing stuff I know, but there wasn't much I could do about it.

"I'm confident I can step back in this year and have a good impact.

"I've had a strong pre-season so far and touch wood hopefully that continues.

"I'm learning to listen to my body a lot more as I'm getting older and I'm a lot smarter about the extra work I have to do to make sure I stay strong.

"Hopefully the 'fartlek' is behind me now and I can put together a few good years in a row."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-11/swans-forward-confident-boom-and-bust-pattern-is-over

I dont think the reid deal is a dumb deal..you dont let youngish key position players walk if you can help it and they are always going to get paid higher than other comparible players. He is injury prone but it is what it is. If he plays the entire year next year we will be talking about what a good deal it is.

Probably the reason why mccartin hasnt been signed yet, im guessing his manager is really pushing for the higher end of the pay scale for a 18 yr old key forward who has already shown to be a very good mark for his age and experience. Key position players just get paid more,always have and always will
Might help us and his contract price if he learns to kick over the pre-season. Probably the worst kick on the list which is saying something.

Might help us and his contract price if he learns to kick over the pre-season. Probably the worst kick on the list which is saying something.

Not even close. I did his number in the Menzel thread. His goal kicking efficiency is higher than Franklins and marginally lower than Menzel. His general disposal efficiency was up in the mid 70s, again more than Franklin. I didn’t check all players for comparison... but I am confident those numbers stack up pretty well.

He doesn’t play enough, can go missing at times sure and he can certainly shank a ball from time to time but I think his poor kicking is somewhat outdated.

The last time he had more behinds than goals in a season was 2011.

2011 - 22/26
31/19
7/4
17/9
16/13
30/17
2/2

Not even close. I did his number in the Menzel thread. His goal kicking efficiency is higher than Franklins and marginally lower than Menzel. His general disposal efficiency was up in the mid 70s, again more than Franklin. I didn’t check all players for comparison... but I am confident those numbers stack up pretty well.

He doesn’t play enough, can go missing at times sure and he can certainly shank a ball from time to time but I think his poor kicking is somewhat outdated.

2011 - 22/26
31/19
7/4
17/9
16/13
30/17
2/2

Agree completely. His kicking gets knocked because he had a tendency to stab at 30m set shots, but overall his kicking is quite good. I’ve always had confidence in Reid’s kicking in general play, maybe less so from mid range set shots.

Agree completely. His kicking gets knocked because he had a tendency to stab at 30m set shots, but overall his kicking is quite good. I’ve always had confidence in Reid’s kicking in general play, maybe less so from mid range set shots.

2011 - 22/26
31/19
7/4
17/9
16/13
30/17
2/2
I was actually talking about McCartin

He better pull his finger out, has been living off potential his whole career and been well looked after

That long goal in the grand final cost us $ since
Gawd i hope he comes good this year... a full year of game time and 40 odd goals.
Beem waiting many years for the payday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was actually talking about McCartin

Haha fair enough, you can understand the confusion though!

McCartin did extend by a year for what it’s worth, but yes kicking needs work. Will make it as an afl footballer one way or another. In defence perhaps if they can’t sort out his goal kicking.

he will make a massive difference. The old cliche of a new recruit, but by jingo, by gum, he will be a gun.....if he stays on the park.

If we can get something like the 2017 version of Sam Reid he'd be a handy addition to the side.

If we can get something like the 2017 version of Sam Reid he'd be a handy addition to the side.

Agreed. He was more than useful in 2017. With better skilled players around him in a different forward structure (inc a mobile 3rd tall in McCartin) and hopefully a better game plan, he may have a very good 2019 and play a key role in team success.

A really handy player. Can play anywhere and has the best pair of hands on the list. Can think of at least two games he's saved. We missed him a lot last year with Naismith out and lack of experience and size up forward. We spent so much time camped in our back 50 - Reid would've been one of our best options for getting out. Only problem is he's injury-prone (a family trait evidently).

Haha fair enough, you can understand the confusion though!

McCartin did extend by a year for what it’s worth, but yes kicking needs work. Will make it as an afl footballer one way or another. In defence perhaps if they can’t sort out his goal kicking.
Sorry mate I should have made it clearer. The info on Reid was interesting. If only he could stay fit

Agreed. He was more than useful in 2017. With better skilled players around him in a different forward structure (inc a mobile 3rd tall in McCartin) and hopefully a better game plan, he may have a very good 2019 and play a key role in team success.
He will (would) make a very good link marking player on the wing and across the midfield. Mobile, great pack mark, long kick - whats not to like on the wing?

He will (would) make a very good link marking player on the wing and across the midfield. Mobile, great pack mark, long kick - whats not to like on the wing?

If he managed to play a full season and bring a similar contribution to 2017, I will be happy.

Reid, imo, is unfairly judged on what potential people saw in him that he didn’t deliver rather than what he actually delivers which is solid rather than spectacular.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back