Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Whether you think Reid is a good player or not, when fit and playing he does these few things:

- Provides a tall target important to our structure (see the Crows game when we couldn't get it out of our back half because he had no one to kick it to)
- Provides a back up ruckman letting Aliir stay in the backline (who do you prefer forward, Sinclair or Reid?)
- Lets McCartin not take the best or 2nd best defender (when Buddy is playing)

Reid could be a nice stop-gap between McCartin and Blakey starting to grow and develop more

so he literally does what any player in the league over 190cm can do provided they arent in a wheel chair

so he literally does what any player in the league over 190cm can do provided they arent in a wheel chair
Got any other 190cm players on the list you think would do that better than Reid that aren't already best 22?

I don't agree with the premise that clubs pay on potential/expectations, it's more accurate to say they pay based on market values which are determined by known performances.

Nick Blakey as of Round 1, 2020 (his most recent game)
Played 22 games and kicked 20 goals.
20yr 1mth old

Sam Reid as of Round 23, 2011
Played 22 games and kicked 21 goals.
19yr 8mths old

Blakey is a better point of comparison than McCartin for circa 2011 Reid... if you were to ask me Should Blakey have his contract extended to the end of 2026 tomorrow? I would say no. Because I don't believe his current body of work warrants that kind of long-term deal either and I've got no benefit of knowing how Blakey will go in the future.
Clubs and fans applaud players for their past efforts but clubs only pay/contract based on potential/expectations at the time. Sure, previous games are taken into account to predict a player's potential, but they've already been paid for those games. Some players are paid overs, some unders. If it was a science we'd have never recruited some of the duds we've picked up.

Circumstances were different in 2011 to now. In 2011 we had a desperate need for another key forward. Reid had shown a solid first full year and we needed key forwards, as our premiership window was wide open. Other clubs would have been watching Reid and might have hoped to lure a homesick 19 yr old Victorian key forward back to Melbourne. Given Reid was playing at least as well as Blakey (by your own admission) a 5 year contract would have seemed right at the time.

In 2020 we're still developing and not so desperate for a key forward, or we'd have paid up big for Daniher. Our premiership window is shut for a while longer and we've got the time to develop our forwards under the guidance of Buddy/Reid or possibly even bring another in. Our forward line was one of the most efficient in the AFl in 2019. Our trouble was getting the ball forward so much of the focus has been on rebuilding our midfield and defence.

You argue that Blakey's role is more similar to Reid, well Blakey is hugely talented. If Blakey wasn't already living his dream, playing in his home state, in his Dad's team. If he was homesick and other teams were sniffing around, if we had no other developing young key forwards, if our premierhip window was open and we had the cap space I think we'd sign Blakey for a long contract. And I'd have no issue with that if those were the circumstances.

As for not knowing how Blakey would go in the future...well how can anyone know ? I come back to the point that clubs pay only on potential. Blakey has the potential to be worth more and we could get him for less with a long contract. Ask yourself, if Buddy's contract ran out this year, what would we offer him ?

Yep even without that list I knew CD were full of it, but it can be added to the dozens of other findings of theirs in the archives.

Reid is one of our most valuable when the last grand final we made we did so without him. Sounds about right.

And how does Florent make the top ten over Mills?

I'd be interested in what their methodology was to come up with their lists. That's the issue with statistical analyses: the devil is in the details with respect to how they come up with their results. You need to know exactly what rules they used and which categories they were analysing to know how the analyses are flawed.

I'd be interested in what their methodology was to come up with their lists. That's the issue with statistical analyses: the devil is in the details with respect to how they come up with their results. You need to know exactly what rules they used and which categories they were analysing to know how the analyses are flawed.

Their models are (probably) extremely simplistic.

Buddy is too low. I think 2019 is dragging down his rating because he only played 10 games.

And how does Florent make the top ten over Mills?

Don't get me wrong, would definitely have Mills higher on the list.

But Florent should easily be in our top 10 most important players, especially looking forward.

He has actually become very underrated on this board, if you want proof he should be higher up on this valuation you should try rewatching round 1 this season.

Don't get me wrong, would definitely have Mills higher on the list.

But Florent should easily be in our top 10 most important players, especially looking forward.

He has actually become very underrated on this board, if you want proof he should be higher up on this valuation you should try rewatching round 1 this season.

I'm a big Florent fan. If you were doing a list of most valuable Swans for the future, he'd be top 5, maybe even top 3. But that list is supposedly based on current and past output and I would not say he's done as much as Mills to justify the honour above him. (Yet).

It's a garbage list anyway from a garbage publication.

Oops I expect an impending ban for using the word garbage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only if he could kick Peverill was good at getting the ball to I hope he cleans cause yes I agree he could become and good player

He already is a good player. Only thing that is stopping him from being a very good player is his kicking like you said.

I'd still take his kicking over half our mids.

Over the next 24 months, I think there are some tried and true seniors players (with us or other clubs) who, if we can replace in the best 22 with better/strongly developing players, we could be in good stead to push right up the ladder soon.

Cunningham, Reid, Sinclair, and L.Taylor are those four imo. They're all certainly still capable of playing seniors footy, but I just have a feeling that all four are vulnerable and could be replaced by some quickly-improving young guys we've got coming up. McCartin, Blakey, are ready to take Reid's place (although I'd keep him in for now because he's a decent 2nd ruck for Naismith) and Cunningham/Taylor could lose spots into the future for the likes of Gould, McInerney, Stephens, E.Taylor.

If Daniher (fit) comes then Reid will be traded out if anyone la dumb enough to take on the contract otherwise will be in the 2s
Reid has 1 year left on his contract. I wouldn't trade him unless we had an offer for him. Then see if we get something in FA for him.

But unless Reid becames an AA CHB I can't see him and Daniher playing in the same side

Over the next 24 months, I think there are some tried and true seniors players (with us or other clubs) who, if we can replace in the best 22 with better/strongly developing players, we could be in good stead to push right up the ladder soon.

Cunningham, Reid, Sinclair, and L.Taylor are those four imo. They're all certainly still capable of playing seniors footy, but I just have a feeling that all four are vulnerable and could be replaced by some quickly-improving young guys we've got coming up. McCartin, Blakey, are ready to take Reid's place (although I'd keep him in for now because he's a decent 2nd ruck for Naismith) and Cunningham/Taylor could lose spots into the future for the likes of Gould, McInerney, Stephens, E.Taylor.

I thought the lack of real quality in our senior players was our issue last year. We were too young, sure, but that is only exacerbated when even the more mature blokes in your team aren't stars.

Reid has 1 year left on his contract. I wouldn't trade him unless we had an offer for him. Then see if we get something in FA for him.

But unless Reid becames an AA CHB I can't see him and Daniher playing in the same side

We would get nothing for Reid, besides an offer from someone like Carlton, one of the only clubs where he'd get a game.

I thought the lack of real quality in our senior players was our issue last year. We were too young, sure, but that is only exacerbated when even the more mature blokes in your team aren't stars.

The lack of the 24-28 year old bracket has certainly been an issue the last few years but it will become less of an issue over the next 12-24 months as the Heeney, Mills, Hewett, Dawson, McCartin, Hayward, Florent, Aliir bunch get another 40-50 games into them. That's the point at which, I hope, some of our younger guys are starting to push the guys I mentioned above out.

The lack of the 24-28 year old bracket has certainly been an issue the last few years but it will become less of an issue over the next 12-24 months as the Heeney, Mills, Hewett, Dawson, McCartin, Hayward, Florent, Aliir bunch get another 40-50 games into them. That's the point at which, I hope, some of our younger guys are starting to push the guys I mentioned above out.

Yeah it's not just the quantity of the experienced blokes but also the quality. Guys like Reid, Sinclair, Cunningham, Jack, McVeigh (last year) etc were some of the only experienced guys we had and yet they varied from above average (Cunningham, McVeigh) to liabilities (Jack, Sinclair). That left only Buddy, JPK and Parker, none of whom are what they once were, and Rampe as the lone elite performer. Combine all of that with the very young team that was at times relying on NEAFL-standard players like Bell, Fox etc, is it any wonder we were a bottom four side?

Like you I am hoping that by the time this lot reach that middle age bracket, there will be more talent and we'll actually get that bang for our buck. I have said that any one of Heeney, Blakey, Rowbottom, Florent, Mills, Dawson and Aliir could be elite and I hope they prove me right. (Imagine if they all did!)

If we were to move Reid on, I would package him up with Buddy to Gold Coast for example, to finish their careers up there. Buddy to do the same two tricks a year that excites our fans so much. Great marketing move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back