Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Well I guess it’s official now folks... if you don’t think Sam Reid should be in the seconds then you’re probably not a real fan of the footy 🙄
No coincidence we've won two out of three games since he's come back I reckon.. Taigh Kennally said recently he's in our top 3 key players.. And he would know because he was on the coaching panel until covid layoffs.

No coincidence we've won two out of three games since he's come back I reckon.. Taigh Kennally said recently he's in our top 3 key players.. And he would know because he was on the coaching panel until covid layoffs.

He never said that, can you link those comments?

also its 2/4
so is he responsible for the 2 losses or the 2 wins?

The trouble is old mate is that some have NFI
I mean like it or not, if you don't include Franklin, Reid is our best and most experienced KPF. Of course he is going to play

He never said that, can you link those comments?

also its 2/4
so is he responsible for the 2 losses or the 2 wins?
OK, 2 out of 4. Maybe those losses were his fault, at least we've started winning again. Unless you enjoy runs of 6 straight losses.

About 16 mins in.. So you know everything that Taigh says? How does that work exactly? Sounds cool though.

The coaches have never, in 10 years, considered him one of our top 10 players for a season.

Their view, not mine.

OK, 2 out of 4. Maybe those losses were his fault, at least we've started winning again. Unless you enjoy runs of 6 straight losses.

About 16 mins in.. So you know everything that Taigh says? How does that work exactly? Sounds cool though.

thanks for the link, i stand corrected

its still wrong , what else would a paid swans official say

i know hes never placed in a best and fairest which the coaches vote in, so they cant think he actually offers much,. i am 99 percent sure he has never placed in the big footy swans award, so people on here despite defending his effort non stop cant rate him that highly either

maybe tadgh got the sack for talking dribble then, might have kept his job if he woke up

but i won't say another word on him, was trying to avoid ruining a good win thread, but reading the inane rubbisb about how he helps others and his mere presence makes us better is laughable

thanks for the link, i stand corrected

its still wrong , what else would a paid swans official say

i know hes never placed in a best and fairest which the coaches vote in, so they cant think he actually offers much,. i am 99 percent sure he has never placed in the big footy swans award, so people on here despite defending his effort non stop cant rate him that highly either

maybe tadgh got the sack for talking dribble then, might have kept his job if he woke up

but i won't say another word on him, was trying to avoid ruining a good win thread, but reading the inane rubbisb about how he helps others and his mere presence makes us better is laughable
So you go by the swans big footy board when you think some are nuf nufs

So you go by the swans big footy board when you think some are nuf nufs

Another off topic one liner, go to bed

dgaf if people agree with me, its footy, we all have different opinions, you take it too seriously

(Log in to remove this ad.)

this is the game everyone thinks made an impact on the result...we won in spite of him, he jogs around the boundary doing hit outs occasionally and missed a few marks, gws targeted Papley not reid imo

View attachment 936604

Does that graph show the space he creates?

Holy moly, can we have a ban on talking about Reid. Came here to see some more positives about our massive victory (probably the best for the year) and it's just arguements about Reid.

Everyone has expressed their opinion about him at nauseam.

Holy moly, can we have a ban on talking about Reid. Came here to see some more positives about our massive victory (probably the best for the year) and it's just arguements about Reid.

Everyone has expressed their opinion about him at nauseam.

?
We are being positive, Reid is in the side and we still won despite him being a passenger.

I personally can't wait to see it again next week.

?
We are being positive, Reid is in the side and we still won despite him being a passenger.

I personally can't wait to see it again next week.
Being positive wasn't the point.

Sick of the same beaten to death topics about Reid given so much space. Maybe a few posts, but it gets tiring. Same vein of Mitchell leaving.

Personally don't want to see the same arguments.

BUT, it's a public board, people can do what they want, and I like the people on both sides of the argument.

Don't think it was out of line to ask people to stop flooding every page with Reid discussions, but if it was, I'm sorry.

Papley was a joy to watch.

Sick of the same beaten to death topics about Reid given so much space. Maybe a few posts, but it gets tiring. Same vein of Mitchell leaving.

BUT, it's a public board, people can do what they want, and I like the people on both sides of the argument.

Don't think it was out of line to ask people to stop flooding every page with Reid discussions, but if it was, I'm sorry.

Papley was a joy to watch.

yep agree it is tedious each week to see a player who did nothing be credited by bullshit reasons that dont apply to anyone else in the league be good to keep it out of a good victory

papley is always a joy to watch, didn't even play near his best, his burst of speed, second third efforts were fantastic

surely all australian

I don't think this is true at all. People are happy to see "Rowbottom is amazing" posted dozens of times each week, and I have never seen a complaint that the topic is repeated or 'beaten to death'.

I would suggest that what people have a problem with is criticism.

I don't think this is true at all. People are happy to see "Rowbottom is amazing" posted dozens of times each week, and I have never seen a complaint that the topic is repeated or 'beaten to death'.

I really believe that Reid is very important to our structure without a proper ruck set up. If we say had a Nankervis , Sinclair would be pushing forward. At this stage we need him, simple as that and the ringleader in the would be king can go and get stuffed. (waiting for the 1 line response )

It's not the criticism, if anything I side on The Kings side.

I don't mind it being a post or two, but honestly, if we compare the discussion about Rowbottom and Reid it's apples to oranges. Rowbottom is kid going from strength to strength, that is rarely disagreed about, whereas Reid is a bloke that is disagreed about strongly. That is fine, the issue is I feel that the Reid debate is brought up continuously. It started with a question of whether Reid should stick to defense, which then led to the regular snipe that he would be a great defender in the reserves, which then led to the debate.

It's hardly criticism at this point, and the amount of posts on Reid is probably more than any other player this year tbh.

The reason why one topic is seen to be "beaten to death" and the other isn't is because one is a disagreement that leads to multiple posts on an issue discussed multiple times where both parties have basically agreed to disagree each week, whereas the other is a simple, x player good, everyone agrees and we move on.

I wouldnt mind if the debate was on Reids player discussion, but I think it's fair that I don't want to see the exact same debate take a page or two each week.

If we want criticism, that's fine, there's plenty on Clarke, Bell, Parker, and more throughout the year, but they don't get into these debates this often or with the staunchness that Reid creates.

But, as I said before, it's a public forum, the same way that I can ask for less Reid discussion, people can choose to ignore me. That's completely fine. I'm not going to like the people on either side any less.

say it louder for the people in the back

You need more than 10 players to get on the park.
But most importantly you need big men playing their role.
Buckley seems to think that Ben Reid is important to Collingwood's structures even though he too seems to miss plenty of footy.
He just gets back in to that team once fit no matter how many other talls are available. Can't remember if he has been voted in their top ten but no doubt Bucks loves what he brings.

It's not as simple as just being in the top ten coaches votes.
He is one of a few talls on OUR list that can do what is asked of him at any given moment. Be it go back, take a ruck contest, compete up forward, apply forward pressure, take a contested grab, kick a goal.

But the facts are it really doesn't matter what we all think because he is automatically out there when available meaning the coaching staff value what he brings.

But the facts are it really doesn't matter what we all think because he is automatically out there when available meaning the coaching staff value what he brings.

sounds like what you said about Clarke a few weeks ago
None of what you said makes him a good performer
I mean Buckley and Ben Reid what’s that got to do with it
he is however all we have, so he will be picked going forward, hope we can replace him in the future

Last edited:
Reid talk's gone on a bit of tangent and isn't really about his game against GWS anymore.

Think it's best to put it here and anyone who wants no part of it can unwatch the thread.

And while everyone's entitled to their opinions I'd encourage people to partake in genuine discussion and further articulate points rather than cycling through things that have already been said repeatedly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back