Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

I don't think I've ever seen reid lose a marking contest tbh. 70% of the time he marks it. The rest he atleast brings it to ground.

After losing Dawson he’s close to our best contested Mark behind Heeney and maybe McCartin.

My view before somebody trumps me with stats

I would play him ahead of McCartin. He would immediately become our second best defender. Dunno what everyone's on about, lost the plot thinking he will be delisted. Horse absolutely loves him.

He also had a ripping start to the season and had the best game of his career against Essendon. He was colossal that game. Seems to have been forgotten just because he came back from injury at the back end clearly a bit underdone. He still has a couple of years in him.

His constant injuries sh*t me to tears but with our defence the way it is, he stays and should get shoved in there anytime he's fit.

Nonsense. He has never shown attributes as a defender, beyond cameos as a loose man. He lacks the speed and body strength to contest against a half decent KPF.

Delist. Horse is a donkey when it comes to certain players. It took many seasons before he realised the Grohan was a dud. Reid is not a dud but his body is unreliable.

Nonsense. He has never shown attributes as a defender, beyond cameos as a loose man. He lacks the speed and body strength to contest against a half decent KPF.

Delist. Horse is a donkey when it comes to certain players. It took many seasons before he realised the Grohan was a dud. Reid is not a dud but his body is unreliable.
Why get rid of him if the club looks like they’ll be able to rookie him next year? Any extra games the club gets are bonus

Why get rid of him if the club looks like they’ll be able to rookie him next year? Any extra games the club gets are bonus

He just cannot be planned around. Aside from his unreliable body I forgive his behaviour in KFC drive throughs and imminent anointment as the Mad Monk's long term replacement and slaughterer of Steggall.

Even as a forward until Amartey actually eclipses Reid there's no harm keeping him on the list.

If we use him sparingly as a depth player then that's actually a weapon for us. There's no doubt he's on the ropes but at this point when we have a thin defence and inexperienced forward replacements, he can still prove to be handy. At the end of next season it'll probably be a different conversation.

Even as a forward until Amartey actually eclipses Reid there's no harm keeping him on the list.

If we use him sparingly as a depth player then that's actually a weapon for us. There's no doubt he's on the ropes but at this point when we have a thin defence and inexperienced forward replacements, he can still prove to be handy. At the end of next season it'll probably be a different conversation.

oh please... get out of Jonestown or the KFC drive thru.

Millions have been wasted on Reid. Why waste a rookie spot on a bloke that will be available for 3 decent games. We already have JP300 for that.

If Franklin were to miss most of the season through injury I would rather rely on Reid before any of McDonald, McLean, Amartey, Sinclair or Ladhams as our number one target up forward. Next year hopefully that changes but at this stage there's no harm in keeping him as an emergency backup.

There is. The bloke is cooked and has been unreliable for years.

Delist.

There is. The bloke is cooked and has been unreliable for years.

Delist.
Another promising footballing career cruelled by injury. He could have been a very good player with a consistent run at it.

I have a feeling the club won't be as soft-hearted as me and they'll delist him. Maybe rookie him but they have an eye on the future now.

We'll always have that golden moment of him slotting that goal from 50 in the 2012 granny when he was full of potential.

Didn't look like the same player after the comeback after a great 4 games at the beginning of the season and wouldn't be surprised if Beatson and co said enough is enough. At some point availability is the priority.

Was this posted by a Swans BF who misses the Sam Reid stories :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Resigning Sinkers & then de-listing Reid would be baffling.

Hope it doesn't happen.
It's all in the sequence of events.
If I remember correctly Sinkers was resigned before Dawson said no thank you.
That was ruck insurance given neither Amartey, McLean or Reid are #1 rucks. Fair enough IMO.
Those 3 were good coverage UNTIL we had the money from Dawson to get Ladhams. Now we have coverage of 4 and only one, Reid, is unsigned.
Unlucky.
With an accurate crystal ball many things might be different. At the time, it made sense.

There’s definitely a role for Reid down back. Mccartin and Melican play the one v one roles, Reid to play that McGovern type role where he floats around and tries to chop off as many contests as possible

Part of Reid’s game that really picked up was his defensive pressure.

There’s value there in the big IF he has an injury free run.

One on one can get out bodied but with a bit of a jump at it he’s got great hands and will give a good account of himself in a contest.

If we retain him I’d give him a run on the wing as the link and able to float back easily to help the defence.

If we want to go with one ruck against certain opposition he has shown he can give a chop out when needed and reasonable in that role.

He has been ridden on here to death but that’s because the value has probably never matched the contract. For a rookie spot he could become a real fan fav.

I would keep him on just for depth down back and general experience. Paddy McCartin in one concussion away from another spell on the sidelines, don't want that massive risk moving forward long term. At best Reid is serviceable as a KPD this season and we sign him to a team friendly deal for another year or two until we find something more reliable long-term as a kpd. At worst, he'll be a depth player on a cheap contract.

Keeping Reid is a great call, certainly could do worse for depth.

Having Reid as still in the best 22 I dont agree with.

Suddenly turning Reid into a KPD in year 13 of his career is very questionable.

Keeping Reid is a great call, certainly could do worse for depth.

Having Reid as still in the best 22 I dont agree with.

Suddenly turning Reid into a KPD in year 13 of his career is very questionable.
I worry a little that Reid may get used as cover ahead of McDonald, McLean or Amartey which, IMO, would be a big mistake. After a good preseason he might be better but next year?
Horse has generally been good at picking the young'uns in recent years (McLean ahead of Reid) so I hope he continues to do that.
I can see Reid as an interceptor but not as a KPD. Not in seniors and not taking a development slot in ressies either. Play him like Aliir, as a third tall. In ressies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back