Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

surely most of the criticism stems from reid's unfortunate brittleness over the years, because a fully fit reid is not just part of our best 22, but a key part ... even now, in his later years
yes, he's been a frustration but, again, that's mostly the consequences of injury
i've posted recently, in response to suggestions i was a reid critic, that the 2012 grand final is still the best way to remind us of just how important reid can be
obviously there have been many games since then that he's been arguably better, for goals, marks, stats or general impact
but the grand final will always stick in my mind ... that team-lifting goal, the last quarter up and down that flank, helping out in the back half, being a presence
you could definitely argue he's been favoured at selection over the journey when at times he could've been dropped, or not rushed back ... other players might not have had such good fortune, but as far as i'm concerned reid still has credits in the bank and while he remains healthy and in the form he's in, he plays
franklin, reid, mcdonald our three tall forwards ... and we work others around them

Last edited:
surely most of the criticism stems from reid's unfortunate brittleness over the years, because a fully fit reid is not just part of our best 22, but a key part ... even now, in is later years
yes, he's been a frustration but, again, that's mostly the consequences of injury
i've posted recently, in response to suggestions i was a reid critic, that the 2012 grand final is still the best way to remind us of just how important reid can be
obviously there have been many games since then that he's been arguably better, for goals, marks, stats or general impact
but the grand final will always stick in my mind ... that team-lifting goal, the last quarter up and down that flank, helping out in the back half, being a presence
you could definitely argue he's been favoured at selection over the journey when at times he could've been dropped, or not rushed back ... other players might not have had such good fortune, but as far as i'm concerned reid still has credits in the bank and while he remains healthy and in the form he's in, he plays
franklin, reid, mcdonald our three tall forwards ... and we work others around them
He didn't have a lot of disposals against Saints but that didn't reflect his impact. That run down tackle, 50m penalty and taking off to deliver a quick ball to a leading Papley was a huge solo effort. His tackles stick and no matter how low down the player is Reid is rarely ever clumsy in his tackles. My son doesn't watch much footy but he saw Reid take a mark below his knees on the run and couldn't believe someone so tall could be so clean below his knees.

It was good to see Reid spending more time on ball, using his versatility to pop up wherever he was needed. After Ladhams shat in his own nest I like the ruck pairing of Hickey and Reid. I also liked seeing Reid and Buddy spending time up field. It leaves a less congested forward 50 and they can rotate into the goal square if they need a break. I think you're right about Reid, McDonald and Buddy being our key talls. I get the feeling Horse is trying to find the best balance of those three, to give McDonald a chance to grow as a forward while experimenting with Buddy and Reid who have naturally lost some speed with age but have gained the stamina to wander further from goal.

Reid must be aware that he's a year by year proposition, but on his form since coming back into the team he'd have to get a new contract.

He didn't have a lot of disposals against Saints but that didn't reflect his impact. That run down tackle, 50m penalty and taking off to deliver a quick ball to a leading Papley was a huge solo effort. His tackles stick and no matter how low down the player is Reid is rarely ever clumsy in his tackles. My son doesn't watch much footy but he saw Reid take a mark below his knees on the run and couldn't believe someone so tall could be so clean below his knees.

It was good to see Reid spending more time on ball, using his versatility to pop up wherever he was needed. After Ladhams shat in his own nest I like the ruck pairing of Hickey and Reid. I also liked seeing Reid and Buddy spending time up field. It leaves a less congested forward 50 and they can rotate into the goal square if they need a break. I think you're right about Reid, McDonald and Buddy being our key talls. I get the feeling Horse is trying to find the best balance of those three, to give McDonald a chance to grow as a forward while experimenting with Buddy and Reid who have naturally lost some speed with age but have gained the stamina to wander further from goal.

Reid must be aware that he's a year by year proposition, but on his form since coming back into the team he'd have to get a new contract.

reid also brings so much experience, and always seems a level head ... he can be as much a good mentor for mcdonald as franklin is

reid also brings so much experience, and always seems a level head ... he can be as much a good mentor for mcdonald as franklin is
True. Reid can teach what he does best as he's a player who has had to work to become a good forward. Franklin would probably find it harder to teach his freakish skills. Folks find themselves watching Buddy and thinking, 'how did he do that?' I doubt he knows

His forward pressure has been elite this year for a key forward or any forward for that matter. He's had a minimum of 3 tackles a game, including two games of 5, a 6 and 10. Impressive stuff.
Really happy to see Sam playing some of his best footy and showing the youngsters what they need to do to become fixtures. Totally deserving of a new contract extension.

Love to see him clunking a few more marks as his grace is unmatched, but is he also the most agile big man in the league?
I was quite content when he didn’t get the automatic selection early in the year, but happily, he’s probably playing the most consistently influential footy of his career. I like it a lot.

How good was Sam Reid today? In career best form and has the flexibility to play a number of roles for us. Very impressed with how he's responded to facing the prospect of not having a contract.

Great work Sammy! He's doing it all for us atm.

So sick of defending Reid he has had such a good Month but some supporters jump on him as though waiting for an opportunity to bag the bloke.

He is an absolute lock a the moment.

The pitchforks were out for him against Essendon.

He gives so much and when injury free should be given an occasional off night as the guy is giving his all.

Don’t know his contract status but hope he gets another go whilst in this form

he has been great since the 2012 reunion, this is his best year, credit to him, been harsh on him,but think he has always had the talent to do more of what he did tonight, but this year he isn't going missing in games

he has been great since the 2012 reunion, this is his best year, credit to him, been harsh on him,but think he has always had the talent to do more of what he did tonight, but this year he isn't going missing in games

At least you show some bloody humility

At least you show some bloody humility

Oh didn't mean to do that, I don't have that.

He has frustrated me a lot as I see the talent to be more than he is. plus injured when he gets going

but I just want the side to win and even his worst enemy cannot fault him this year, looks fitter than last few years, trusting his body

Oh didn't mean to do that, I don't have that.

He has frustrated me a lot as I see the talent to be more than he is. plus injured when he gets going

but I just want the side to win and even his worst enemy cannot fault him this year, looks fitter than last few years, trusting his body

If I wasn’t really hopeless with my fists and too fat to slow I would so throw one at you :)

Fair call I do understand people’s frustration. I just hate how he gets jumped on when he’s going ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's possibly the best pressure/defensive tall forward in the league. He might be the only one? It might not always be a useful skillset!

But whether marking or rucking, he's really good at staying in the contest and making tackles and second efforts. English did not want a bar of his body work or ground level play tonight after he went fulltime into the ruck, and I think he got us 3 goals from his own centre clearances.

Last edited:
He's possibly the best pressure/defensive tall forward in the league. He might be the only one? It might not always be a useful skillset!

But whether marking or rucking, he's really good at staying in the contest and making tackles and second efforts.

A few weeks ago I said this:

B739CA61-F635-4C14-9E02-A562EB8BA33C.jpeg

His ability to go from attacking mentality (trying to win the hit-out, win the clearance) to defensive (tackle, chase, smother etc) is seriously on par with Mills and Rowbottom who are the benchmark in this regard. You can see him physically adjusting to the scenario as it's unfolding in front of him. Do not under-estimate how hard this is to do for any player, let alone a tall. I reckon you are onto something.

Finally achieving his potential swansfan51
Posted on September 25, 2021.
Jarrad Waite started playing pretty good footy after he turned 30.
Sam Reid will turn 30 next year. We should extend his contract to the end of 2024.

The last thing we want to do is let 12 years of development go to waste just as its about to pay off. 🥳

Posted on September 25, 2021.
Was listening to Nathen Buckley, who said that he played the best footy of his career between 28 - 32 (or somewhere pretty close to that), speaking to Gerard Whateley. He said, for as long you remain injury free, its the time when age, experience and physical ability all combine as well as they are ever going to!

Great to see Sam Reid finally getting lots of accolades after a team lifting game. We only needed Sam to break even in the ruck but he stepped up as a complete midfield package, making everyone walk a little taller.

Reid's determination to keep competing, again and again, is what marks him out as an inspiration to others. He was highly effective all over the ground constantly finding ways to contribute, with or without the ball, taking marks, spoiling or standing in a tackle to dish out to a running player. His physicality was clearly annoying English. Reid battered into him at every ruck contest. If Reid didn't win the hitout he always followed up, clearing a path for our mids, dishing the ball out or willing the ball fowards with 2nd and 3rd efforts. He brutalised any bullfrog who got within range of his grasp.

I like that Amartey is also very physical. He'll gain a lot from watching how Reid goes about his work.

Reid has always been capable but inconsistent and had a bad run with injuries. He looks as fit as he ever has , still has that mobility and his ground work has been excellent. Maybe this is the first time in a few years he trusts his body ?
Been a big surprise in the ruck , was always serviceable but has taken it to a new level this year

Doing the POTY stats I noticed that Reid had a 100% contested possession rate against the Dogs with his 15 touches. I can't recall ever seeing that for that many disposals.

Doing the POTY stats I noticed that Reid had a 100% contested possession rate against the Dogs with his 15 touches. I can't recall ever seeing that for that many disposals.
I hadn’t either but apparently some have gotten much higher!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back