Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Reid could really use his marking ability to take grabs on the wing and drive the footy into the f50

Be a shame to miss out on his elite goal kicking though

Watching the Carlton-Swans game and looking at 193cm Cripps....could 196cm Reid become an on the ball player?
He played amazing against the Dockers last year in the middle?

Watching the Carlton-Swans game and looking at 193cm Cripps....could 196cm Reid become an on the ball player?
No doubt once he gets a little older

On a much more serious note what's the go with him , horse now saying he is a month away
I new his Achilles flared up but must be more serious than that

A month? Did he say that yesterday? That's not good

On a much more serious note what's the go with him , horse now saying he is a month away
I new his Achilles flared up but must be more serious than that

Ahh good old 4-6 Swans injury.

Be back in time for 2017 pre season then eh.

Depth player / trade bait.

Harsh I know. We have Sinclair now. Enough talls in the forward line. Enough midfielders. And Sam is no backman or ruckman.

Has had enough chances, will the club have the wherewithal to tell him the truth.

I know this seems harsh. but the boy deserves the truth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsh I know. We have Sinclair now. Enough talls in the forward line. Enough midfielders. And Sam is no backman or ruckman.

Has had enough chances, will the club have the wherewithal to tell him the truth.

How do you know he is no backman? Also with Goodes out of the team and a lot more one on one contests in the forward line now Reid could be an effective forward as he is very good one on one.

Hasn't been given an extended run as a KPD yet. Outside Grundy and Talia we don't have a reliable tall defender with the decline of Ted, Reid could turn out to be a very important player for us in that position yet.

The Reid bashing is completely ridiculous.
Everyone agreed that he had the makings of a superstar.
He hasn't quite lived up to that but he had a very good year last year.
The idea that he has to live up to the hype in order to garner any respect is ridiculous.

Reid is awkward depth at the moment. 1 of Franklin, Sinclair or Tippett goes down he can fill in the forward line to help keep the structure. I think he can be a good defender and would like him there. Means we have 4 talls in defense instead of 3

In my mind Reid still comes back in when he is fit to try and stretch opposition defences, my thinking is more to make them worry about matching up on us. Even if Reid doesn't score much himself, he still needs an opponent and imagine the headaches Tippett could cause when he goes forward. At worst he'd be an upgrade on Towers.

But there is certainly an argument that our structure can function decently without him, especially if Sinclair continues the form he showed against Carlton.

I can see Reid slotting in best 22 (In the forwardline imo) but Im starting to question whether Rohan will get back in

Indeed, Rohan is a player I don't see fitting into how we have played so far this season

Certainly not as a lead up forward, maybe as a half back or wing option but I would question his suitability to last out matches with the interchange out cap. But I suppose he would have the pace to help him in whatever role the coaches might ask him to play.

Indeed, Rohan is a player I don't see fitting into how we have played so far this season

Certainly not as a lead up forward, maybe as a half back or wing option but I would question his suitability to last out matches with the interchange out cap. But I suppose he would have the pace to help him in whatever role the coaches might ask him to play.

I think that's right. I love the bloodnut, but there's (so far) a surety in our ball handling and distribution such that I can't see who Rohan displaces.

I think that's right. I love the bloodnut, but there's (so far) a surety in our ball handling and distribution such that I can't see who Rohan displaces.
I would think Rohan would compete with guys like Cunningham for a wing/forward spot. He provides fantastic forward pressure and with his pace he could play the Jetta-2012 role of linking defence and attack.

I would think Rohan would compete with guys like Cunningham for a wing/forward spot. He provides fantastic forward pressure and with his pace he could play the Jetta-2012 role of linking defence and attack.

And yet I think that Cunningham has had a great start to the year. Unlike last year, I am feeling calm when he is in possession or near the ball. I like to feel calm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back