Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

He has to get fit first

I don't understand the Reid hate. He's got plenty of talent and knows how to pluck them in a contested marking situation. He's a great swingman.

He's gone missing a few times, agreed, but that's been more about field positioning than anything.

It goes without saying we need KPDs now and I think he's the man for the job. I'm pretty happy with our second talls and small defenders. Reg has had a good start to the year but Ted lacks the mobility that made him such a competitor in the past. If we can get Talia back and put some defensive time into Reid I think we can plug that gap. Reid is tall, mobile and great in a contest. He's also got the wingspan of an A380 so you'd think he'd be good on the spoil.

I don't understand the Reid hate. He's got plenty of talent and knows how to pluck them in a contested marking situation. He's a great swingman.
It's just a noisy minority I think. Reid's value was clearly evident towards the end of last season.

It's just a noisy minority I think. Reid's value was clearly evident towards the end of last season.

Was starting to show how good he was towards the end... Then that fateful limp into the pocket at subiaco :(

Looked great in 2012, that shoulder injury in 2013 against the Roos just did him in, never looked the same afterwards. Played the entire season with an arm that he could barely get above his head.

He started playing like where he was in 2011 and early 2012, but he had those 2 seasons of almost pure shiteness. Playing on the wing suits him better, but that's concerning because he'll always be matched up against smaller players. He's very quick, very agile and great above his head and below his knees, which allowed him to play as a winger. But a tall marking forward he is not, and he sure as s**t is no CHB, and he's even worse in the ruck, which I didn't think it was possible to be worse than CHB.

He could play a bit like the Hoff, but he'd need to learn how to body an opponent, since he seems to do his best work intercepting deep I50s when the siren is about to go.

Stand by him being a good backman as is a great mark

His inability to get the ball as a forward is frustrating

He did some ok things in 2012,

I did some good things in 2012 at work, employer still demands i do more now four years later for some reason, should tell her I am still young and to watch the replay

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reid will add value and I'm looking forward to seeing him play this year. He put in some very good performances last year and his marking ability in chains is too valuable. I'm not sold on Sinclair around the ground and he is easily pushed off the ball at times. Tippett is killing it in the ruck, so that leaves Buddy as the proven tall option forward of centre. Parker and Heeney play tall in the air but there is certainly a spot for Reid in the team.

Reid will add value and I'm looking forward to seeing him play this year. He put in some very good performances last year and his marking ability in chains is too valuable. I'm not sold on Sinclair around the ground and he is easily pushed off the ball at times. Tippett is killing it in the ruck, so that leaves Buddy as the proven tall option forward of centre. Parker and Heeney play tall in the air but there is certainly a spot for Reid in the team.
Agreed.
I think Sam has a huge role to play - hope he has been practicing his set shots.

I am happy for Reid to Take Richards spot in the team. But if Talia was fit Richards wouldn't have a spot in the team.

A big factor in our forward line functioning properly is Reid isnt there nor is Goodes. We now have smalls. Reid's marking makes Nic Natanui look consistent.

I don't understand the love for Reid, Sinclair every day of the week over him and twice on Sundays!

Only Robinson should go for Reid but Id rather see Jones come in for him. Our scoring has never been better please #BanReid #CantBowlCantThrow

As long as its not a day we play footy then sure

He is especially best 22 on those days, easily one of our most important players due to his versatility. There's a reason he's barely ever played reserve grade footy since his debut.

He is especially best 22 on those days, easily one of our most important players due to his versatility. There's a reason he's barely ever played reserve grade footy since his debut.

The only reason he doesnt play 2s is... We only get about 2 weeks out of him before his body packs up. Cant waste one week in the 2s

Yeah there is

He is tall and promising
Has barely been missed lets face it, doesnt even average a goal a game, barely gets a touch, just looks ok

Remove this Banner Ad

Back