Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Reid is good for 100+ marks a year and ~30 goals. McCartin showed promise and terrific attributes to build upon, but his actual output would make Gary Rohan blush.

There is little logic to playing McCartin over Reid already other than the beloved 'younger = better' narrative in sports.

You can play both, if you are only playing one Reid is the obvious choice.

Reid is good for 100+ marks a year and ~30 goals. McCartin showed promise and terrific attributes to build upon, but his actual output would make Gary Rohan blush.

There is little logic to playing McCartin over Reid already other than the beloved 'younger = better' narrative in sports.

You can play both, if you are only playing one Reid is the obvious choice.

Agreed. Reid is a walk up start. If Tom gets games it will be as the third tall. There he will compete with Menzell and Dawson, unless sense prevails and Dawson plays mainly in the mids.

I want Reid to do what Reid does but just stay on the paddock. Present, contest in the air, clunk marks and push forward or back as needed. He's a very important cog but he does work best as a cog. Leave the freakish stuff to the master in Buddy and, to a lesser extent, Menzel. Reid is a very handy link up marking player and that's exactly what we need him to be.

Reid is a very handy link up marking player and that's exactly what we need him to be.

Spot on. His height, marking and run keep Oppo defenders honest.

Spot on. His height, marking and run keep Oppo defenders honest.

I bet he keep opposition coaches up all night long planning to minimise his impact......................................

I bet he keep opposition coaches up all night long planning to minimise his impact......................................

Now, now inestimable Mr The King. No need to put the hurl into the churlish. Most unlike you and more in character with a poster who uses the name of a former Club champ.

Reid is a no more than a good ordinary player. But he is 196cm, has long levers and can run and provides a target other than Buddy. If our mids show a modicum of sense and skill to have eyes down and hit to a contest he will be a factor.

He will always take a tall defender with him and that is one less to plonk the knees in Buddy's back.

I vote for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reidy started last season so bloody well. Go have another look at his first few games. Absolutely creamed it!

When he is fit & firing he is a handful and very valuable IMO. The issue isn't if he's good enough, the issue is if he can stay on the park.

Reidy started last season so bloody well. Go have another look at his first few games. Absolutely creamed it!

When he is fit & firing he is a handful and very valuable IMO. The issue isn't if he's good enough, the issue is if he can stay on the park.
Would love to get a proper look at the forward structure we seemed to be going for last year (i.e. Buddy hovering around the 50 but otherwise everyone else leaving Reid one-out inside 50). Reid with plenty of space to go one-on-one with our smalls to crumb and Buddy doing what he usually does is a tasty thing to think about.

I've spoken a lot about Reid this off-season and I actually think I've been restrained with my comments on him. But frankly I'm getting more bothered the more it becomes apparent to me that once again the club thinks Reid is important to our fortunes this year.

I think the issue is not about his ability to stay on the park, but it's actually all about if he is good enough. We had AJ on the list for six years and no one ever had a problem with him, because we all could see his talent and how bloody good he was pre-injury. Reid's had virtually full seasons before where he's played one good game and backed it up with a month's worth of stinkers. Even when fit, his form is so utterly cyclic that it's hilarious when people continue to get excited by his occasional good game. "That could be the break-out match for Reid", you hear. Rinse and repeat.

He's played over 20 games in five different seasons. That is more than enough time to put together a body of work that confirms you are a star, which if you're a 196cm half forward at AFL level in a team that's never missed the finals in your career, you should be a star. While we're on the subject of his 196cm, I've seen girls half his size at junior level attack the contest more than Reid does. There's no physicality. It's either reach the arms out and take the mark at it's highest point or he doesn't bother. It's either be stationary and use those lanky arms to tackle a player in his immediate vicinity, or he doesn't bother. He drops nearly as many marks as he takes, and misses nearly as many goals as he kicks. So OK, maybe he's just good, not great, that's OK, not all players have to be great. But if you're not going to be great, at least use your size to be an imposing figure on the field. Crash some packs, make some decent efforts to fly for the ball even if it may be unrealistic for you to mark it, crush some opponents in tackles and bumps. Just don't play like a bloke who has haphephobia.

And in the rare times where he has had to earn his place, coming back from injury through the NEAFL, it only takes one or two bags in the reserves to walk back into the team, despite everyone from James Rose to Toby Pink having superstar games in the NEAFL at times.

Where I get pissed off is how much we've invested in him for so little return. IMO keeping him on the list has been the worst decision our list management staff have made this decade. Ahead of getting rid of Mumford, ahead of signing Tippett, ahead of letting Mitchell go. Because we've hung so much on Reid when he's simply not up to it. We've let other forwards, like Membrey, go because there were no spots left for him, when in fact Membrey is a more consistent performer in a much worse team with much worse delivery (and even Membrey ain't no star yet). Before Tom McCartin, we hadn't drafted any forwards because we were so sure that Reid was our man. We've justified our at-times ridiculous game-plan (Long, sky-high bombs down the line) to blokes like Reid, even though he continuously proves he's not up to it and the whole team then suffers because of it. I'm not one to care about what the rest of the competition is doing, and I take what the AFL community says with a grain of salt, but the entire competition is laughing at us and our persistence with Reid. We should've cut our losses years ago.

We have all seen evidence that Reid is capable of contributing to a premiership victory, and pretending otherwise I'd myopic.

He's not in the 10 best key forwards in the competition but that's how salary caps work. We just can't have 22 players on the list who the opposition worry about. There's about a dozen key forwards in the competition who the planning is more than showing the key defenders a video of thier running patterns and saying "stick on this guy".

it's pretty obvious that reids problem is that he isn't a shiny new toy.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks like the post-Rohan whipping boy has been found...

We have all seen evidence that Reid is capable of contributing to a premiership victory, and pretending otherwise I'd myopic.

He's not in the 10 best key forwards in the competition but that's how salary caps work. We just can't have 22 players on the list who the opposition worry about. There's about a dozen key forwards in the competition who the planning is more than showing the key defenders a video of thier running patterns and saying "stick on this guy".

it's pretty obvious that reids problem is that he isn't a shiny new toy.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Were they selling these red and white coloured glasses at the fans day yesterday?

Were they selling these red and white coloured glasses at the fans day yesterday?

There is no doubt that over the last few years we haven't got great value for money from Sam - he has basically lost two whole seasons (2016 and 2018), and in between he had a season where there was inconsistency and we only saw glimpses of his best (which IS good - back in 2017 I'm thinking of his six goal game against the Bulldogs and the 12 marks and 3 goals he kicked against North).

I don't think it is wrong to think that we missed him last year and that the team would be improved by his presence. Even if he only matches his 2017 output that means we have a 30 goal a year forward back in the side, another leading and marking target to assist moving the ball out of defence and a player that is capable of swinging forwards and back as needed.

At this point of the year I'm not really sure why you are working yourself up into such a state about him, though. There have been a few mentions in the news of him having a strong pre-season so far, let's see what happens. What's the point of laying the boot in now?

There is no doubt that over the last few years we haven't got great value for money from Sam - he has basically lost two whole seasons (2016 and 2018), and in between he had a season where there was inconsistency and we only saw glimpses of his best (which IS good - back in 2017 I'm thinking of his six goal game against the Bulldogs and the 12 marks and 3 goals he kicked against North).

I don't think it is wrong to think that we missed him last year and that the team would be improved by his presence. Even if he only matches his 2017 output that means we have a 30 goal a year forward back in the side, another leading and marking target to assist moving the ball out of defence and a player that is capable of swinging forwards and back as needed.

At this point of the year I'm not really sure why you are working yourself up into such a state about him, though. There have been a few mentions in the news of him having a strong pre-season so far, let's see what happens. What's the point of laying the boot in now?

Because it’s that time of the year where we start pondering who we’d like to see take the field for us this year. If I don’t think Reid should be on our list, isn’t it natural I’m going to be opposed to him getting games?

Because it’s that time of the year where we start pondering who we’d like to see take the field for us this year. If I don’t think Reid should be on our list, isn’t it natural I’m going to be opposed to him getting games?

He is on the list, though, and other than Menzel there isn't anyone else that you could realistically hope to improve the forward line by bringing in more than a goal a game that wasn't playing in it in 2017. You may not rate him highly, but I'm not sure who you could rate higher as a lead up marking target who could better replace him in the 22.

He is on the list, though, and other than Menzel there isn't anyone else that you could realistically hope to improve the forward line by bringing in more than a goal a game that wasn't playing in it in 2017. You may not rate him highly, but I'm not sure who you could rate higher as a lead up marking target who could better replace him in the 22.
Exactly!
People can diss Reid all they want, but there's no-one that can bring to the team what he brings and most clubs would kill to have a swing man of his ability on their list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back