Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

There is a lot of pyschological literature around that suggests the pain we experience at your sports teams loss significantly exceeds the high you experience at the occasional wins. So why do we follow a team then? The theory goes that it enables us to connect to a community (ie swans supporters) and allows
us an intrinsic sense of being loyal to something other than self. Have to be honest here. I think the theory is rubbish. Instead I think that our innate capacity to obsessiveness kicks in and reason is abandoned in favour of 'chasing' the high from wins at whatever cost. Because reason is abandoned in obsessiveness we revert to pyschological defences to mitigate the pain at a loss (or series of losses)- things like denial ( it's the umpires etc) or blame (Hanners is hopeless) or in this case Reid is hopeless or perhaps (horse is a pathetic coach). Scale back those defence mechanisms and you'll find Reid isn't hopeless at all- he is probably top ten on our list but uniformly there are it seems a majority of the community (that are supposed to enhance my experience of loyalty to a team) that are intent on ridiculing and rubbishing him. Why did I say I do this? That's right .....the sense of community from common loyalty lol

Blame is never a productive measure. Nothing positive flows

Nah I just think Reid is crap and always has been.

Some TV commentators suggested Reid go to defence.

Is this an option?

Do we have anyone else who can play fwd? Toby Pink or Hayden McLean?
His drafted position? That’d make too much sense for Johnny boy. Nope, he’s already ruled that out in press/media release. Sorry can’t find it but haven’t really looked either.

His drafted position? That’d make too much sense for Johnny boy. Nope, he’s already ruled that out in press/media release. Sorry can’t find it but haven’t really looked either.
https://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2019-04-24/longmire-backs-reid-
"We'd like him to be able to take the pressure off (the other forwards) in our front half and be able to take those marks, and when we need that bail-out (kick) to be able to grab it and hit the scoreboard.

Horse has been running the bail out kick along the boundary to long
*stares out wistfully into the ocean thinking of Malceski*
We miss him so much. Surprised rampe doesnt take more kick ins - has a nice turn of pace and can then send it 50m easy to clear the opposition's defensive structures

Lloyd doesnt have a big kick (or a lot of pace) hence we see this kick into the back pocket so often

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why not give him a go at CHB, and I don't mean play loose down there. Actually play him CHB. Release Rampe/Allir and let him be more of a rebounder, or allow Lloyd to play further up the ground.
He just averages a goal a game, he's clearly not going to ever become a 35+ goal a season forward. So we have to try something else, since for some reason we keep deciding to offer him long term deals and seems to be immune from being dropped to the NEAFL. One of a few of these struggling players that needs a role change, but for some reason doesn't get one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back