Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

He's 27, lost two of the last three years to injury after an excellent 2015 as a 23 yro, played third string to Buddy and Tippet, and developed his game all over the ground.

If he can stay fit, I reckon there are going to be a lot of people with egg on their faces by the end of this year.

Surprisingly Sam Reid is the 4th most accurate player in the AFL this season!!! Genuinely surprised as I'll always remember him as a forward who couldn't hit the side of a barn

His kicking is underrated. He has missed a few howlers that stick in peoples mind. However his kicking has never been as bad as it has been made out.

Only once has he kicked more behinds than goals in a season (2011 his first full season 22.26).

Since 2012 he has kicked 124.72 or 63%.

(Which would still put him in the top 10 in the AFL this season)

Always think (and this is my personal take, not scientific) that when he kicks his first, he's in for a good game and he'll kick them all, misses his first and he misses them all.

agree always said that ditto if he clunks a mark early

(Log in to remove this ad.)

still been average this year but at least played every week
He's tracking at about his expected output, slightly higher

2019 averages

Disposals - 11.1
Marks - 4.9
Contested marks - 1.7
Goals - 1.4
Goal assists - 0.4

Career averages

Disposals - 11.2
Marks - 4.6
Contested marks - 1.5
Goals - 1.1
Goal assists - 0.3

He's tracking at about his expected output, slightly higher

2019 averages

Disposals - 11.1
Marks - 4.9
Contested marks - 1.7
Goals - 1.4
Goal assists - 0.4

Career averages

Disposals - 11.2
Marks - 4.6
Contested marks - 1.5
Goals - 1.1
Goal assists - 0.3

yep average

Good to see Reid lift when we needed it in the third quarter. Shame some of our other forwards didn't do more. We had a real chance to put the game away in the 3rd when we completely dominated play but inaccuracy and poor attrocious decision making cost us dearly and let the drug cheats back into the game.

This guy has huge potential and i'm sure he will come good with goals at some point, but he almost lost us the game today. What is up with this guy. Natural footballer, great to watch, but geez, his conversion rate is woeful. What is he doing wrong? How could he improve his return for effort, because god knows he needs to if he is to become the potent forward we all know he could be. How would he combine with Jesse White?
How’s the Nostradamus skills on this guy. Summed up Reid’s whole career with the FIRST POST of Reid’s thread. Bravo.

For those saying Reid has been average this year.

Dawson, Buddy and maybe McVeigh aside would you like to be a forward that gets our disposal to the forward line?

Personally I think Reid has been more than solid and would be tracking for top 10 in our best and fairest.

For those saying Reid has been average this year.

Dawson, Buddy and maybe McVeigh aside would you like to be a forward that gets our disposal to the forward line?

Personally I think Reid has been more than solid and would be tracking for top 10 in our best and fairest.

Bet you he doesn’t finish top 10

Bet you he doesn’t finish top 10

You have to remember, that the Swan's report Best and fairest results on how you perform your role in the team rather than pure performance.

Right now he would be tracking below

Rampe
Hewitt
Parker
Aliir
Papley
Llyod
Dawson
Heeney

After that its hard to see who could be ahead of him. Kennedy, Buddy and Jones have missed too many games. Melican and Mill's have been up and down.

I think his tracking for a lower top ten finish but it wouldn't surprise me if he finishes 11th or 12th.

You have to remember, that the Swan's report Best and fairest results on how you perform your role in the team rather than pure performance.

Rampe
Hewitt
Parker
Aliir
Papley
Llyod
Dawson
Heeney

After that its hard to see who could be ahead of him. Kennedy, Buddy and Jones have missed too many games. Melican and Mill's have been up and down.

I think his tracking for a lower top ten finish but it wouldn't surprise me if he finishes 11th or 12th.

I agree with this. And it's not that big an endorsement of Reid's year for him to finish between 9th and 12th in the Skilton. As you say, he'll be competing with people who have been up and down (Mills, I don't think Melican will be that close) and guys who have missed substantial parts of the year (Bud, Kennedy, Jones, Sinclair maybe).

I think he's been alright this year. One great game, a bunch of good games and a bunch of poor-quiet games. He's been valuable because of how young our forward line is without Bud.

Rampe
Hewitt
Parker
Aliir
Papley
Llyod
Dawson
Heeney

I don’t need to remember anything

He won’t finish top 10 and never will

How about a simple month long avatar bet?

I agree with this. And it's not that big an endorsement of Reid's year for him to finish between 9th and 12th in the Skilton. As you say, he'll be competing with people who have been up and down (Mills, I don't think Melican will be that close) and guys who have missed substantial parts of the year (Bud, Kennedy, Jones, Sinclair maybe).

I think he's been alright this year. One great game, a bunch of good games and a bunch of poor-quiet games. He's been valuable because of how young our forward line is without Bud.

At any other Club he would’ve been developed and played as a key forward

None of this makeshift defender, swing man, ruck bullshit and judged accordingly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back