Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Olian

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 12, 2013
Between the Bridges
AFL Club
Sydney
Reid is one of the players you want to keep at a reasonable price, it becomes a issue if he is around 500-550k.

IIRC Reid has never finished top 10 in the Skilton? should reflect that on the pay scale.
If you look at the BnF lists across all clubs in 2020 very few forwards feature in the top 10 (Hawkins and Gunston are the rare inclusions). Not sure top 10 finishes and pay scale align all the time.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Probably overpaid like most i honestly think if our salaries were made public it would create "robust" discussion on the board thats for sure.

Its just the situation of being in Sydney.

Shouldn't be an excuse. They should be paid on their worth based on their contribution and output on field. If the go home factor comes into play because some other s**t club wants to pay them overs for doing **** all then there's the door. Reid has earned good money for a fair period of his career not equal to that of his output. Fanboy's need to get over the fact he is a huge disappointment based on the ability and athletic prowess he has been gifted. Sick of people trying to put forward a view that he has been a good player over his tenure. Sam Reid is, was and always has been a gunna.

tombomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 8, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't disagree with any of this. The last line not so much. He struggles to bend imo which with history of so many soft tissue problems his lower back and or hips are giving him dramas. Only my opinion but he has that look.

It looked like he had a phone book underneath his jumper around his rib cage last year.

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Overpaid, has under delivered. Will no longer have potential built into his contract and will be offered a deal commensurate with his importance to the team, which is limited. Would be happy if we offered him between 300 - 400 and watch him walk if he doesn't like it.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Look I could not let this nonsense pass. Reid has played as if the last decade were his twilight years. Not once has he finished top 10 in the Club's B&F.
How is my suggestion that "Buddy, Sinkers and Reid are in their twilight years" nonsense that you "could not let pass" ? You just stated that Reid's been in his twilight years for the last decade. Are you saying he won't be this year ? Will we see more 6 goal bags become the norm ? I look forward to seeing you proved right but I suspect I'm right and he's in his twilight years.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Shouldn't be an excuse. They should be paid on their worth based on their contribution and output on field. If the go home factor comes into play because some other sh*t club wants to pay them overs for doing **** all then there's the door. Reid has earned good money for a fair period of his career not equal to that of his output. Fanboy's need to get over the fact he is a huge disappointment based on the ability and athletic prowess he has been gifted. Sick of people trying to put forward a view that he has been a good player over his tenure. Sam Reid is, was and always has been a gunna.
Feck-off Wolfy, this isn't Nazi Germany. What god-given right do you think you have coming on here telling people they can't put forward a view because it conflicts with yours.

Some people see Reid's worth, some don't. Clearly the Swans coaching staff and selectors see something you don't. Let me think now...who are the professionals, a few haters on here or the Swans staff ? Too many arm-chair critics have the attitude "If I don't understand it, it must be wrong". Haters gonna hate, but sometimes you gotta suck it up.

I'm sick of people trying to put forward a view that they're sick of people trying to put forward a view.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Probably overpaid like most i honestly think if our salaries were made public it would create "robust" discussion on the board thats for sure.

Its just the situation of being in Sydney.
It'd create robust rubbish with a whole lot of arm-chair critics thinking their opinions were worth any more than sweet f-all against the opinions of the staff who are paid good money to pay exactly what a player's worth and no more. What we fans think a player is worth is another matter.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
It'd create robust rubbish with a whole lot of arm-chair critics thinking their opinions were worth any more than sweet f-all against the opinions of the staff who are paid good money to pay exactly what a player's worth and no more. What we fans think a player is worth is another matter.
1. Fans shiting s**t that know s**t on here
2. Staff from the Swans that know what they are doing
3. What other Swans fans think mostly on this forum

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Don't disagree with any of this. The last line not so much. He struggles to bend imo which with history of so many soft tissue problems his lower back and or hips are giving him dramas. Only my opinion but he has that look.

I always considered Reid pretty good when the ball hits the deck. Do you have any footage of him struggling to bend or is it just a feeling you have ?

He was injured early in 2020 and I wouldn't be suprised if he were forced to carry some lingering injury. The Swans were pretty keen to get him back in the side. Still, there's no indication of soreness in his first game back.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
I always considered Reid pretty good when the ball hits the deck. Do you have any footage of him struggling to bend or is it just a feeling you have ?

He was injured early in 2020 and I wouldn't be suprised if he were forced to carry some lingering injury. The Swans were pretty keen to get him back in the side. Still, there's no indication of soreness in his first game back.

He definitely seemed to have suffered a significant decline in agility in 2020 be that a particular injury or body done. I guess we will find out this year.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
IMO I can’t see Sinclair going on after this year , out of contract , body and 33.

buddy is handballing so he looks on track according to bullshit the club is giving us.

reid out of contract so who knows going forward
I think we can all agree that our forward line will look very different in a few years time. I just hope Logan McDonald makes the step up quickly. It's not easy to see exactly what out future forward line looks like.

Our 190cm+ players are. I've listed them in age order and indicated their age in 2 years time.

McDonald (20 196) Forward
Blakey (22 195) Forward/Mid
Gould (22 191) Defender
Amartey (23 197) Forward/ruck
McCartin (23 193) Forward/Defender
O'Connor (24 193) Rookie
McLean (24 197) Forward/ruck
Dawson (25 192) Wing
Melican (26 195) Defender
Brand (28 198) Defender
Hickey (31 201) Ruck
Naismith (30 206) Ruck
Reid (31 196) Forward/Ruck/Swingman
Sinclair (33 200) Forward/Ruck
Buddy (35 199) Forward/Superstar

Picture our 2023 pre-season. Swans hoping to make the GF after playing finals in 2021/22. All we can say is Sinclair and Buddy will almost certainly be retired.

Lots of questions need to be answered over the next couple of years. I really hope Buddy can play a role until then.

Do we need Melican, Brand and McCartin down back ? Melican's kicked one goal in his career, Brand never. Both seem die hard defenders. McCartin shone in the role late last year but with Brand and Rampe back McCartin's the obvious one to go forward. He's a little short for a KPF but he gets to good positions and has strong hands, so McCartin plays as our third tall. Reid could play CHB but IMO we've got enough talls already down back.

Is McDonald ready to take the no.1 KPF spot within 2 years ?
Can McLean or Amartey step up to a KPF role ? My money's on McLean.
If Naismisth comes back where does Hickey go ? He seems a natural replacement for Sinkers but do we play 2 rucks with one resting forward ?
At 195cm Blakey's 2cms taller than McCartin and only 1cm shorter than Reid. Should he be a KPF or could his dash be better used as a giant mid ?
What chance O'Connor eventually makes the grade ? As a forward or as a defender ?
If it looks like our premiership window is open by end of 2022 do we use the Buddy money to snag a big name forward who wants a premiership medallion ?

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
He definitely seemed to have suffered a significant decline in agility in 2020 be that a particular injury or body done. I guess we will find out this year.
I suspect he was playing half-cooked. McCartin & Blakey were struggling as our key forwards.

brad cooper

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Just googled Sam Reid Contract, it's amazing I couldn't find one article that gives Sam Reid's salary that isn't the journos opinion, yet people on here seem to know it, can someone PM me the copies of the 3 contracts he has signed so I can be in the loop? Punts, Wolfgang you obviously have them.

I think we can all agree that our forward line will look very different in a few years time. I just hope Logan McDonald makes the step up quickly. It's not easy to see exactly what out future forward line looks like.

Our 190cm+ players are. I've listed them in age order and indicated their age in 2 years time.

Gould (22 191) Defender
O'Connor (24 193) Rookie
Dawson (25 192) Wing
Brand (28 198) Defender
Hickey (31 201) Ruck
Naismith (30 206) Ruck

Picture our 2023 pre-season. Swans hoping to make the GF after playing finals in 2021/22. All we can say is Sinclair and Buddy will almost certainly be retired.

Lots of questions need to be answered over the next couple of years. I really hope Buddy can play a role until then.

Do we need Melican, Brand and McCartin down back ? Melican's kicked one goal in his career, Brand never. Both seem die hard defenders. McCartin shone in the role late last year but with Brand and Rampe back McCartin's the obvious one to go forward. He's a little short for a KPF but he gets to good positions and has strong hands, so McCartin plays as our third tall. Reid could play CHB but IMO we've got enough talls already down back.

If Naismisth comes back where does Hickey go ? He seems a natural replacement for Sinkers but do we play 2 rucks with one resting forward ?
At 195cm Blakey's 2cms taller than McCartin and only 1cm shorter than Reid. Should he be a KPF or could his dash be better used as a giant mid ?
What chance O'Connor eventually makes the grade ? As a forward or as a defender ?
If it looks like our premiership window is open by end of 2022 do we use the Buddy money to snag a big name forward who wants a premiership medallion ?
mccartin is a defender clear as day IMO and isn’t short at 195cm

I expect Reid will be offered rolling one year contracts. With smaller lists and salary caps plus his age I doubt he has the currency with other Clubs that he once commanded.

On McCartin my hopes were he would develop as a the 3rd tall like a Gunston. I note the latter who I think is a terrific player struggled last year as the main target.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler
Just googled Sam Reid Contract, it's amazing I couldn't find one article that gives Sam Reid's salary that isn't the journos opinion, yet people on here seem to know it, can someone PM me the copies of the 3 contracts he has signed so I can be in the loop? Punts, Wolfgang you obviously have them.
I think it's 600-700K. ;)
Far less than Buddy.
Reid's salary is a bargain at 600K IMO.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

Gould (22 191) Defender
O'Connor (24 193) Rookie
Dawson (25 192) Wing
Brand (28 198) Defender
Hickey (31 201) Ruck
Naismith (30 206) Ruck

Interesting analysis.
For sure Buddy and Sinkers will be gone, probably Reid too.
We'll get more clues during the coming season.
IMO
20 is too young to be the main KPF
I agree McLean looks more likely to make the grade than Amartey.
Melican is almost but not quite a key defender. If Brand plays, he doesn't.
I like Blakey and Dawson as wingers, with McInerney rotating through there and HFF.
Lloyd does a great job linking out of defence, but I hope we can find alternative routes with guys like Ling and Gould.
O'Connor looks to me as if he will make the grade as a defender. COR looking more like depth.
We need a younger ruck to be fully mature 2024.
Doubt we can afford both Naismith and Hickey in the team. Better with one of them plus Reid/McLean.
Might be better off using Sinclair mentoring in the ressies while young Lachlan McAndrew learns his trade.

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
I expect Reid will be offered rolling one year contracts. With smaller lists and salary caps plus his age I doubt he has the currency with other Clubs that he once commanded.

On McCartin my hopes were he would develop as a the 3rd tall like a Gunston. I note the latter who I think is a terrific player struggled last year as the main target.

download.png

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Pretty poor set just the 4! Expect at least 8.
Someone Sam's age only has currency for someone in the window who has that need. Better off keeping him on that rolling contract.
At this point he's still our Second best KPF and cut out ruck (combined). I have hopes for McLean but he has work to do.

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
Interesting analysis.
For sure Buddy and Sinkers will be gone, probably Reid too.
We'll get more clues during the coming season.
IMO
20 is too young to be the main KPF
I agree McLean looks more likely to make the grade than Amartey.
Melican is almost but not quite a key defender. If Brand plays, he doesn't.
I like Blakey and Dawson as wingers, with McInerney rotating through there and HFF.
Lloyd does a great job linking out of defence, but I hope we can find alternative routes with guys like Ling and Gould.
O'Connor looks to me as if he will make the grade as a defender. COR looking more like depth.
We need a younger ruck to be fully mature 2024.
Doubt we can afford both Naismith and Hickey in the team. Better with one of them plus Reid/McLean.
Might be better off using Sinclair mentoring in the ressies while young Lachlan McAndrew learns his trade.
I reckon that last rookie spot we have left open is for a young ruck to pick up in the mid season rookie period. We can get a look at all the young rucks after playing for 2-3 months.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
I reckon that last rookie spot we have left open is for a young ruck to pick up in the mid season rookie period. We can get a look at all the young rucks after playing for 2-3 months.
Big chance you're correct. So far I believe we only have McAndrew in the VEAFL side outside of the main list. He's more a project player, being an ex-rugby lock.
I still have hope that Paddy McCartin has a place in there somewhere. I believe we are one KPF short.

Back