Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

JackSwans

Head Scout
Jan 12, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I reckon that last rookie spot we have left open is for a young ruck to pick up in the mid season rookie period. We can get a look at all the young rucks after playing for 2-3 months.
I was hoping we'd get one of either Henry Walsh or Max Heath in the rookie draft as both were available (and still are I believe), it's definitely a position we need a more long term investment for.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Parker only one to worry about amd don’t be surprised if he goes home even though misses from up there
Bugger me Punts. Parker has already stated he wants to be a one club man. He loves living in Sydney and married/partnered a local girl. Not only that he is a captain of the club and he is a lad that takes those sorts of honours and the responsibility that comes with them very seriously.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
100% true, but two KPF's (McDonald and McLean) are not enough. Need at least one more. McCartin has skills and the will. Costs us peanuts with zero downside.
He is a FF, McDonald and McLean can cover CHF and FF. We have supplementary marking power with Heeney, Blakey, Dawson and Hayward.
I'd play Heeney at FF. McDonald in the pocket and McLean at CHF. Bud on the flank.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
100 percent spot on. It's not going to happen. That ship sailed at least 3-4 seasons ago. The thing I don't understand is why people think he will be a good KP Defender. He has played there as a loose man in red time periods of qtrs. Has he ever had to actually be a defender against a decent forward and had to defend ? If he has I was making a cup of tea at the time. The bloke is last week's pay. Gone.
He played a couple of games there a few season's ago. One game he was OK. The other he kept getting caught out of position and they shifted him forward after half time.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Feck-off Wolfy, this isn't Nazi Germany. What god-given right do you think you have coming on here telling people they can't put forward a view because it conflicts with yours.

Some people see Reid's worth, some don't. Clearly the Swans coaching staff and selectors see something you don't. Let me think now...who are the professionals, a few haters on here or the Swans staff ? Too many arm-chair critics have the attitude "If I don't understand it, it must be wrong". Haters gonna hate, but sometimes you gotta suck it up.

I'm sick of people trying to put forward a view that they're sick of people trying to put forward a view.

Ok Apologies for that.

I will put it more succinctly then. People who think Sam Reid has been a good player for this club, is now or ever will be have NFI.

Sorry for confusing the issue.

I've heard Sam Reid is one of the nicest blokes at the club.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
He was listed as 195cm when drafted on internet

Grundy did alright for 192cm , same as rance at 193

rampe at 189
Maybe they listed him wrong.

Not saying he can't play as a tall, he's got long arms, but I was just listing our 190cm+ options to kick off some discussion.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Literally no one is saying he's a superstar, just a decent player that can play a role, which is well backed up by him having a career where he will finish up with near enough 200 games.

Every Swans supporter who thinks he is capable of contributing, as well as the whole professional outfit of coaches etc don't all have NFI and if you think so it might be worth thinking about how out of step you are with reality and what levels of FI you might have.

Ok Apologies for that.

I will put it more succinctly then. People who think Sam Reid has been a good player for this club, is now or ever will be have NFI.

Sorry for confusing the issue.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to the 2021 Sam Reid.

He'll be creating space in ways never seen on an AFL field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Just googled Sam Reid Contract, it's amazing I couldn't find one article that gives Sam Reid's salary that isn't the journos opinion, yet people on here seem to know it, can someone PM me the copies of the 3 contracts he has signed so I can be in the loop? Punts, Wolfgang you obviously have them.
Deafening silence !

So nobody knows what Reid's paid but lots claiming he's paid too much. The club knows his value better than anyone but I doubt the coaching staff look at specific player salaries that much. There are bean counters at the club who handle negotiations and contracts, whose job is to ensure players are compensated at their market value. Even if we were privy to players' salaries we could only speculate on what their fair value is. I think most of us would rather discuss the team than the team finances.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans

Interesting, Reid (196cm) was a better forward than Blakey (195cm) & McCartin (193cm) at the same age (20) despite fewer games experience, yet Blakey & McCartin are seen by some as future championa. Perhaps it just shows that early indications can be off the mark and reminds us that we shouldn't expect too many of our promising young players to be future greats.

Deccas

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I just think he'll take a few marks, make a few contests, be a target for outlet kicks, chop out in the ruck and occasionally bob up for a goal or two. If he is out best afield it won't happen twice.
I'm really looking forward to the 2021 Sam Reid.

He'll be creating space in ways never seen on an AFL field.

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

Interesting, Reid (196cm) was a better forward than Blakey (195cm) & McCartin (193cm) at the same age (20) despite fewer games experience, yet Blakey & McCartin are seen by some as future championa. Perhaps it just shows that early indications can be off the mark and reminds us that we shouldn't expect too many of our promising young players to be future greats.
Interesting comparisons. I don't disagree with your conclusions but I think there are some significant differences.
1) Blakey spent more time up the ground and/or as third or second tall than either of the other two, who were usually one or two.
2) In his early days Reid had a better midfield feed than the the other two have had (so far).
3) Easier to be a good player in a good team.
4) IMO Tom looks better at CHB than as a KPF. Reid can do the intercept marking as an extra but is unproven man on man. Tom seems to be getting there.
5) Blakey is headed towards being a tall winger or even midfielder.
My conclusion is that the two youngsters are probably a little bit ahead of Reid at the same stage but that we aren't looking at apples vs apple's.
They're Swans and I love them all.

I come in peace and even tried to generate a pro-Reid conversation above ^ (people just don't bite unless I'm being negative it seems...)

However, per Kiama Chris' post above:

The Reid comparisons are rubbish IMO as compare the teams they were in early on. Reid's first three years we finished 5th, 7th and premiers. McCartin's first three years we finished 6th, 15th and are likely to finish no higher than 15th again.

In Reid's debut game we had 55 inside 50s. McCartin has only ever played in 2 games his whole career so far where we've had that many inside 50s. So let's be real Reid had it significantly easier which skews the numbers a lot.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
He was listed as 195cm when drafted on internet

Grundy did alright for 192cm , same as rance at 193

rampe at 189

Steven May is a Grundy clone just about too. Not very tall but strong as an ox. Rance, Grundy, May, Rampe, and Craig Bolton (to pick another shorter guy) were/are all exceptionally strong for their size. They use their bodies so well in contests so McCartin will need to put on some more bulk, but I think he's already shown he's got that sense of how to use his body. Very exciting.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Literally no one is saying he's a superstar, just a decent player that can play a role, which is well backed up by him having a career where he will finish up with near enough 200 games.

Every Swans supporter who thinks he is capable of contributing, as well as the whole professional outfit of coaches etc don't all have NFI and if you think so it might be worth thinking about how out of step you are with reality and what levels of FI you might have.

Oh The Club ! The Club ! Yes trust In The Club ! I've worked with plenty of Ex AFL Players and Blokes who have Been On Coaching Panels at AFL Level and some of them have NFI. So If you think all People who are plying their trade at AFL Level be it Coach or Talent Identifier are all Supreme Judges and People outside the system have no clue then put your cap on. Club Apologists all alive and well.

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
126 pages on a bloke taken at pick 38.

You forgot to mention a bloke taken at 38 who has been paid like a bloke taken who has finished in the top 5 in the club B&F for 10 years. Has been paid handsomely and done **** all. Oh ! That's right ! He plays a role ! Oh ! And that running goal in the 2012 GF ! What a ****ing gem he's been.

Injury prone Bum.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back