Player Watch #20 Sam Reid

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam_Reid_2017.6.jpg

Sam Reid

Sam Reid’s outstanding athleticism and strong contested grab make him a genuine threat inside 50. The 2012 premiership forward showed exactly that when he booted six goals in the Sydney Swans’ clash with Collingwood in Mark Grook at the SCG to win the 2019 Goodes-O’Loughlin Medal. The 2009 draftee can also play as a loose man in defence or pinch-hit in the ruck. Reid has had very little luck on the injury front in his time in red and white, but he didn’t miss an AFL match in 2019. He’s played 143 career games at the top level for a return of 154 goals.

Sam Reid
DOB: 27 December 1991
DEBUT: 2010
DRAFT: #38, 2009 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Wangaratta Rovers (Vic)/Murray U18

Seems to be fitter than last year. Covers a lot of ground as the second ruck. Always been a good mark in defence but provides a contest forward of the ball and brings the small forwards into the game.

Yeah something wasn’t quite right last year I reckon, looked like he had lost a lot of agility.

Moving well at the moment!

That was a complete Reid game

Big body contested marks :heavycheck:
Tricky contested marks :heavycheck:
Sent to defence to save the game :heavycheck:
Dropped easy marks for no reason :heavycheck:
One slick goal assist that leaves you wondering :heavycheck:
Random spell in the ruck :heavycheck:
Missing a routine shot at goal :heavycheck:
Forward and defensive pressure :heavycheck:

It had everything

For those wondering how he snagged what people assume to be a healthy contract. He got a big contract after kicking 22 goals in his first full season, followed by 31 goals in 2012. After a couple of injury affected years he had a 30 goal 2017 which scored him a contract through to the end of this year.

Reid had a bit of luck with his timing but the coach's decision to award a good contract made sense. What coach wouldn't want a big bodied 2nd tall forward who can kick 30 in a season, hold his own in the ruck, take a big contested grab (top 10 players of the league in both years that he signed a new contract), put on a lot of forward pressure on (top 10 in 2019 for tackles inside 50), take a big grab down back at key moments or give us a marking option coming out of defence.

We really don't have another player of Reid's size, strength and versatility. His job is to contribute in any number of areas, which he does. McCartin is too small. Sinclair too old. Blakey too thin. McLean and Aliir were probably the closest we got but Aliir didn't have Reid's contested marking or his forward tackling pressure. He also struggled when matched up or asked to be accountable. McLean is still too easily pushed aside, though I expect he'll be primed for Reid's role in a few years time.

Remember Reid's impossibly huge game saving mark against Freo ? Punching wasn't an option, so he leapt 1.5m higher than even Pyke and Grundy could reach then kicked it almost to the centre to ensure there was no chance Freo could get another shot on goal. I doubt anyone else in our team could have taken that mark.

When he's good he can be very good indeed and history tells us he'll probably have a really good year in 2021, just as his contract's up for renewal again.

View attachment 1052264

I think I hit the nail on the head when I wrote "When he's good he can be very good indeed and history tells us he'll probably have a really good year in 2021, just as his contract's up for renewal again"

Even when he has a quiet match Reid will be in everything. He's our best contested mark, a handy backup ruck, spare defender, marking target out of defence and pack crashing forward. He often plays like an extra on-baller and seems to be everywhere, impacting contests to win his own ball or tap a loose ball to a teammate. He gets a hand in to impede the opposition or shepherd a teammate or two with his big frame, then run hard and pop up with a crucial goal.

Last night he was kicking at 93.3%, took 7 marks (6 contested), 7 1%ers, 3 marks inside50, 2 goals, 7 score involvements, 2 tackles, 2 inside 50s, a goal assist, a rebound 50 and 8 hitouts. Reidy was everywhere, and like a few others he really stood up when the pressure was on.

Personally I hope Reid gets a few more years on a contract renewal and retires as a one club, three premiership player.

He was in good form earlier in the season before he got injured, but has been pure garbage since coming back in the team.

I suspect he's carrying some sort of injury (probably very minor) but isn't reporting it. On current form he's ineffective.

It's a bit of an interesting conundrum. Reid showed in 2012 he's capable of contributing in a big match. While ineffective at this point, is he a more reliable option than McLean/armatey? Who are both unproven in finals at this stage in their careers.

I prefer McLean over Armatey. Limited exposure to amartey, but I think McLean is tougher both physically and mentally and is more likely to stand up when called on in big moments.

I'd give buddy another week off and give Reid/ McLean another go... if they both put in similar performances I'd be dropping Reid for McLean for finals.

But I'd be putting a rocket up Reid and letting him know he's playing for his spot. If it impacts his infield performance then shelve him for the rest of the year.

Look how he runs. Severely hampered with his ongoing calf issues. It's taken its toll. I think he is actually Cooked like Sinkers. Wouldn't surprise me if he pulls the pin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was in good form earlier in the season before he got injured, but has been pure garbage since coming back in the team.

I suspect he's carrying some sort of injury (probably very minor) but isn't reporting it. On current form he's ineffective.

It's a bit of an interesting conundrum. Reid showed in 2012 he's capable of contributing in a big match. While ineffective at this point, is he a more reliable option than McLean/armatey? Who are both unproven in finals at this stage in their careers.

I prefer McLean over Armatey. Limited exposure to amartey, but I think McLean is tougher both physically and mentally and is more likely to stand up when called on in big moments.

I'd give buddy another week off and give Reid/ McLean another go... if they both put in similar performances I'd be dropping Reid for McLean for finals.

But I'd be putting a rocket up Reid and letting him know he's playing for his spot. If it impacts his infield performance then shelve him for the rest of the year.
You do realise his wife just had a baby? Been in purdah for 5 or is it 6 weeks.
Back him in for this season.
Next might be a different matter.

If Sam’s not named tonight, reckon we’ve seen the last of him in Swans gear?
I think he'll be around next year even if he does get dropped. I think we'll keep him around, hopefully on minimal dollars, and hopefully give others more opportunity if he can't sustain an injury free, and in form run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back