20 teams, 19 rounds - Vision for an uncompromised fixture

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
19 rounds is comprosmised becasue youll either play 1 more or less home game.

19 teams 18 rounds.
Do you?
Take SA. The Showdowns are basically neutral (regardless of the nominal "home" team); so Adelaide and Port would have 9 home, 9 away, 1 neutral. Similar for the WA teams. NSW and Qld perhaps less so as they mostly use different grounds, but the travel factor is still 9/9/1.
In Vic it would be a little different, but there is no reason why it could not be 4/4/11 for everyone; discounting Geelong's arguable home advantage against other Vic sides.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Do you?
Take SA. The Showdowns are basically neutral (regardless of the nominal "home" team); so Adelaide and Port would have 9 home, 9 away, 1 neutral. Similar for the WA teams. NSW and Qld perhaps less so as they mostly use different grounds, but the travel factor is still 9/9/1.
In Vic it would be a little different, but there is no reason why it could not be 4/4/11 for everyone; discounting Geelong's arguable home advantage against other Vic sides.

With the Sydney teams the derbys are played at ANZ either way so still nuetral.

Team DJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2011
Penny Lane
AFL Club
Carlton
Do you?

Yes and no.
I get your point. I think the logistics at games in Adelaide and Perth would be tough though.
What happens to the gate takings? Surely at AAMI you couldnt split it 50/50 knowing the crowd is more like to be 70/30

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
If Tasmania came in, would it be the same Tasmania that was in the VFL ?

Tassiedevils.jpg

Technically, the AFL still own the club, or rights to it anyway.

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Devils, Tigers & Jackjumpers
In name only. Ignoring the odds on probability that any Tasmanian team would be a relocation, the team would most likely be called the Devils and wear green...unlike most places, we're a bit narrow minded about such things...

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
In name only. Ignoring the odds on probability that any Tasmanian team would be a relocation, the team would most likely be called the Devils and wear green...unlike most places, we're a bit narrow minded about such things...

With regard to that, would Tassie accept a team as a complete relocation if the club was a failure somewhere else?? I still think that is what has/had held back the Swans up here in that they were a failed club from Melbourne (of all places, Sydney hates melbourne). It took some major success on their part as well as civil war of League to get them across the line.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
With regard to that, would Tassie accept a team as a complete relocation if the club was a failure somewhere else?? I still think that is what has/had held back the Swans up here in that they were a failed club from Melbourne (of all places, Sydney hates melbourne). It took some major success on their part as well as civil war of League to get them across the line.

Absolutely correct.
IMO a Tassie team doesnt need to be the same as the Devils. I did like VFL Devilsjumper etc, I use to go to games.
Tassie is an island so use that as the hook. Island Mariners, or Sharks or Ships (check out the OHA footy jumper in the old scholars comp here in Hobart, its brilliant) or whatever. Green & black, or blue & Grey or yellow & grey maybe.
I dont care if its pink & purple (magenta:p) I just want a bloody team. Not a transplanted busted arse set up from somewhere else.
A team that plays at York park & at Boot park. Our team. Dont worry about the N-S rubbish. Build it & they will come!!!

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tassie would, because they already love the game at a religious level. Hawthorn and North were always going to get members there, and even converts who support other teams. The only way to instantly ensure the success of a new Tasmanian side is for them to be an already established organisation...it's no skin off the AFL's nose to add a couple of draft picks and a few relocation bucks to make it a smoother transition...I'm wondering if they would impose the same condition that North rejected when the GC saga was going on (handing over the board of the club to the AFL), because there's nowhere near as much riding on the success of the venture (a billion dollars in tv rights)...it wouldn't take long, providing the fans could see the commitment, for them to jump on board and adopt the side...give it a decade and you'd have enough of a core base who don't remember life without their team...

Having said that, what Tassie wants and what I want are two very different things...!

Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Absolutely correct.
IMO a Tassie team doesnt need to be the same as the Devils. I did like VFL Devilsjumper etc, I use to go to games.
Tassie is an island so use that as the hook. Island Mariners, or Sharks or Ships (check out the OHA footy jumper in the old scholars comp here in Hobart, its brilliant) or whatever. Green & black, or blue & Grey or yellow & grey maybe.
I dont care if its pink & purple (magenta:p) I just want a bloody team. Not a transplanted busted arse set up from somewhere else.
A team that plays at York park & at Boot park. Our team. Dont worry about the N-S rubbish. Build it & they will come!!!
It was voted it the best jumper in Aus a couple of years back.
http://www.150years.com.au/whatson/australiasfavouritefootyjumper/tabid/13276/default.aspx

As for everything in the post, all I can add is a big HEAR HEAR

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
It's a Footscray jumper with a boat...I could name ten jumpers off the top of my head that smash that...

For me it's the Devils. Tigers in the cricket, Devils in the footy, the only two sports that matter, perfect two-headed symmetry, both in dark green...

Perfection.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a Footscray jumper with a boat...I could name ten jumpers off the top of my head that smash that...

For me it's the Devils. Tigers in the cricket, Devils in the footy, the only two sports that matter, perfect two-headed symmetry, both in dark green...

Perfection.

I think you are colour blind. Its not red,white & blue for a start!!!!!!. You may be able to name 10 better jumpers but clearly thats NOT how people voted. I mentioned it as example of being different but relevant. Thats all.

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
I think you are colour blind. Its not red,white & blue for a start!!!!!!. You may be able to name 10 better jumpers but clearly thats NOT how people voted. I mentioned it as example of being different but relevant. Thats all.
God...you get careless, don't bother typing in half a qualifying sentence, and it bites you on the arse...I meant the layout of the stripes, not the colour...

In any case, who cares what people think? They also watch and vote for reality cooking and singalong shows, 24% of them voted for Pauline Hanson in Qld, and a huge number will vote for Tony Abbott not because he's awesome but because he's not named Julia Gillard...people are idiots - if they weren't, we'd have a Tasmanian AFL side...

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
God...you get careless, don't bother typing in half a qualifying sentence, and it bites you on the arse...I meant the layout of the stripes, not the colour...

In any case, who cares what people think? They also watch and vote for reality cooking and singalong shows, 24% of them voted for Pauline Hanson in Qld, and a huge number will vote for Tony Abbott not because he's awesome but because he's not named Julia Gillard...people are idiots - if they weren't, we'd have a Tasmanian AFL side...

Steady up, you made the half baked analogy!!!! It looks a lot different to me, colour, big ship on the front.
I dont care that you dont care that was voted as the best jumper. It just was, thats it. But that wasnt the point.
My point was that it is an example of being different & still relevant to Tasmania.
Maybe it will be a green jumper with a Devil on it. Its just a point of discussion.
Anyway Settle down, we havent even got a club yet:rolleyes:

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
I don't care that you don't care that I don't care about putting any effort into my analogies...

All I said was it wasn't that great after you said "brilliant" and the other guy said "hear hear"...

Clearly everyone is an idiot here...except me...

Actually that would be pretty funny, a devil on a green jumper...we could outdo the Paddlepop Lions with a more famous completely inappropriate cartoon character...

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't care that you don't care that I don't care about putting any effort into my analogies...

All I said was it wasn't that great after you said "brilliant" and the other guy said "hear hear"...

Actually that would be pretty funny, a devil on a green jumper...we could outdo the Paddlepop Lions with a more famous completely inappropriate cartoon character...

Clearly:rolleyes:.
Anyway at least the Devil is a local:p

Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast

Other guy here.

I only added the link to the jump thing as a bit of relevance so people could see the jumper, Nothing more and had no relevance on the hear hear part.
And I still think, almost know, that a home grown Tasmanian team with games split evenly between North and South would have much more success from within the state than a transplanted team.
I would never stop going for the Eagles but if we had a team in Tassie that was our own I would support them financially and barrack for them when not playing the Eagles, not so with the Tassie Hawks/Roos/Whatever.

Team DJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2011
Penny Lane
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the AFL need to realise quickly that with a population of just over 20mil.
We cant sustain 18 let alone 20 successful AFL teams

Mar 21, 2008
FNQ
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Other guy here.

I only added the link to the jump thing as a bit of relevance so people could see the jumper, Nothing more and had no relevance on the hear hear part.
And I still think, almost know, that a home grown Tasmanian team with games split evenly between North and South would have much more success from within the state than a transplanted team.
I would never stop going for the Eagles but if we had a team in Tassie that was our own I would support them financially and barrack for them when not playing the Eagles, not so with the Tassie Hawks/Roos/Whatever.
Fashion arguments can get pretty heated...don't take my wife on...

A home grown team is the dream, isn't it...I'd go one step further, and have said in the past that the Hawks would get relegated if it happened - but ONLY if it happened exactly like that...the weird thing is I don't want the Hawks to relocate, which would never happen anyway...in any case, I'd still label any relocation with the tag it had beforehand, so the Hobart Roos would be North Melbourne no matter what...this is already the case with Sydney, and they're proud of it...and they can have it...

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think the AFL need to realise quickly that with a population of just over 20mil.
We cant sustain 18 let alone 20 successful AFL teams

Yes, that makes sense to an ordinary punter like me. That doesnt clash with my view of a 3rd WA & 1 Tassie team in an 18 team AFL. It just will take some guts from the Vic AFL to do it. I dont think they have the guts.

Team DJ

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 19, 2011
Penny Lane
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes, that makes sense to an ordinary punter like me. That doesnt clash with my view of a 3rd WA & 1 Tassie team in an 18 team AFL. It just will take some guts from the Vic AFL to do it. I dont think they have the guts.

When they keep propping up Melbourne Port North the Dogs etc they will have to soon

The Blue Baggers

Premiership Player
Apr 7, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Keep the 18 teams.
North Melbourne to the NT or Canberra.
The Bulldogs to Tassie.

Have an 18 round comp. Everyone plays once, plus you play your big rival twice. Ie. Crows Port, WCE Freo, etc.

After 9 rounds a bye week for everyone.

Still have a top 8.

PreSeason.
Week 1:
18 teams play in rural areas.
State Game: Reps from the 8 VFL teams,(Remembering i relocated North and Bulldogs) , play Reps from the 10 Interstate Teams for the 'NAB Cup'. Build it as the old VFL verse the state leagues.
Ie. Bryce Gibbs would wear the Big V.

Week 2 & 3
One home game and an away game per team.

Agree. 18 teams play every once plus return local derbies.

Not sure about your pre-season idea though.

Not saying who but one Vic team to relocate to Tasmania splitting games b/w Hobart and Launceston.

BadGuy

Team Captain
Feb 21, 2006
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Has any body thought about a New Zealand football team?

Plus one team I'd love to see happen is an all-Aboriginal football team.. Especially with the influx of Aboriginals and such, I think it would be awesome to witness, just because so many Aboriginal players are some of the best..

I do believe Tasmania could have an AFL team. 500k+ live in that state alone, they could easily play home games at both Hobart and Launceston.

Back