20 teams, 19 rounds - Vision for an uncompromised fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Monday Night is a terrible idea. I much rather have Thursday Night.

Everyone hates mondays, id think it would be good looking forward to something on a monday. Also they could do both thursday and monday if the afl wanted too

Everyone hates mondays, id think it would be good looking forward to something on a monday. Also they could do both thursday and monday if the afl wanted too

The round should be over on a Monday morning IMO.

The round should be over on a Monday morning IMO.

Personally id like Monday night games to be exclusive to the Telstra dome.
It could be a weekly tradition for teams like North, Rich, Ess, Carl, St K, WB etc

Monday Night is a terrible idea. I much rather have Thursday Night.
Logistically, Monday works better. Both teams can play on Sunday the following weeks and have a six day break.
If it was Thursday night, only one can play the following Friday, meaning the next week one side would have a nine day break against a side which (more likely than not) had a six or seven day break. That can be alleviated somewhat by always scheduling them against a team from the Friday night game, but it adds moe complexity to the scheduling.

Personally, I'd prefer to stick with all games being on the weekend - and removing the club-killer Sunday twilight timeslot. Add Sunday nights, not twilights, on long weekends.

Logistically, Monday works better. Both teams can play on Sunday the following weeks and have a six day break.
If it was Thursday night, only one can play the following Friday, meaning the next week one side would have a nine day break against a side which (more likely than not) had a six or seven day break. That can be alleviated somewhat by always scheduling them against a team from the Friday night game, but it adds moe complexity to the scheduling.

Personally, I'd prefer to stick with all games being on the weekend - and removing the club-killer Sunday twilight timeslot. Add Sunday nights, not twilights, on long weekends.

I'd personally have the 3.15pm start as the latest game as it is essentially a twilight game.

I assume a third footy team in WA would have to be based in Perth, but does it have the population to support a new team/who would it represent

2 new teams:

Tasmania
Darwin

Round set-up

Friday night double-header (7pm AEST and 8pm WST (10pm AEST) )
5 games Saturday (12pm AEST, 2pm AEST, 4.40pm AEST, 7pm AEST, 7.40pm AEST)
3 games Sunday (1pm AEST, 2pm AEST, 3pm AEST)

Any public holiday match is subtracted from the Saturday fixturing (including Thursday before Good Friday)

I assume a third footy team in WA would have to be based in Perth, but does it have the population to support a new team/who would it represent

Where are the supporters for a 3rd side coming from, all those AFL FANS CURRENTLY UNCOMMITTED - I ask you who do you know that claims to follow AFL footy but does not follow a club, I dont know one person who fits.
A 3rd Perth club will be as popular as the Div 2 clubs in Melbourne, financial cot cases that dont have either the supporter base or the sponsors to be viable, OK a 3rd WA club might get the sponsors, not good enough.

Australian capital city and state/territory population growth 2010-2011

Perth 2.5%
Canberra 1.9%
Brisbane 1.7%
Melbourne 1.6%
Sydney 1.3%
Hobart 1.0%
Adelaide 0.9%
Darwin 0.5%

W.A. 2.4%
QLD 1.7%
Vic 1.5%
NSW 1.1%
S.A. 0.8%
Tas 0.6%
NT 0.4%

Regional Population Growth, Australia, 2010-11

We have the same argument everytime a new club enters the competition. Talent spread to thin. The thing is, after a few years of having a top flight club the new area, if done right, will build their own junior base, just as the Giants and Suns are in the process of doing (massive numbers in auskick and the dolars and comp to convert them to seniors). 20 teams 20 rounds with everyone playing once then changing the home ground the following year is the fairest way for each club to play. It wont happen has the AFL want their big dollar derby rounds more than once.

No chance of the AFL putting TWO teams in Tasmania, population is just too small. Hobart having roughly 125,000-130,000 and Launceston having 65,000-70,000, there is no way the AFL would look past Canberra with a population of 310,000.

The AFL should put a team in Tasmania, playing in Hobart & Launceston, and a team in Canberra.

Hobart 215k, Launceston 106K. Tas 515k

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a fair bit more than that. Canberra-Queanbeyan's population is approx 420,000. Canberra should be an option for the future.

And they will be when the AFL look next at expansion in about 10 years or so, along with Tassie and maybe nth queensland. Once these spots are covered followed by newcastle the AFL will have a national team in every major centre in the country. 10 years after this and we will be able to call ourselves Aust version of the NFL. It will be glorious.

Keep the 18 teams.
North Melbourne to the NT or Canberra.
The Bulldogs to Tassie.

Have an 18 round comp. Everyone plays once, plus you play your big rival twice. Ie. Crows Port, WCE Freo, etc.

After 9 rounds a bye week for everyone.

Still have a top 8.

PreSeason.
Week 1:
18 teams play in rural areas.
State Game: Reps from the 8 VFL teams,(Remembering i relocated North and Bulldogs) , play Reps from the 10 Interstate Teams for the 'NAB Cup'. Build it as the old VFL verse the state leagues.
Ie. Bryce Gibbs would wear the Big V.

Week 2 & 3
One home game and an away game per team.

That's why the fixture would be reversed the following year.

Playing each other in exact multiplse is only one measure of "fairness".
The interstate teams, especially WA teams will have to travel interstate every fortnight whilst the Victorian teams wont. It's not fair that clubs start out each year with different assets or even different lists. It's football. At least it's not like the UK where you can simply buy a championship though some clubs start in Australia start out each year with a major advantage.

Way too many Victorian teams, particularly teams representing the inner city and the city itself. Is north Queensland a viable market?

The idea that reversing a draw over two years, or playing each other once, will magically bring equity into the comp is stupid. Last year has nothing to do with this year - ask Adelaide and West Coast in the last two seasons alone how that works. Whil Perth insists on staying 3500km away from eastern civilisation, and the guts of Australian football resides in Victoria, you can't fix the travel, unless you dilute it with conferences - a suggestion which has been categorically rejected by the AFL. And the idea of "revenue raising" being a necessarily bad thing? You can go on being young and naive, thinking the AFL has always been a Donald Trump-sized juggernaut, but people my age will instead recall the 1980's, where 9 of the 12 AFL clubs (never mind the entire WAFL) were operating horribly in the red, and would likely be playing lower division footy if the national comp didn't start - this includes Collingwood!

A "fair draw" is fantasy land, like Middle Earth, Tatooine or New Zealand. No team has ever won the flag on the back of the draw - prove it with results and figures - if you can! You can start here:

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/afl_index.html

West Coast can argue that the MCG finals policy of the 1990's (which doesn't really count here) cost them at least two higher finishes in 1996 and 1999, but even the anti-Adelaide argument of 2012 doesn't hold much water when you look at how they performed against top 8 contenders.

The fans want games against their most hated opponents, and these must be maximised in the draw. No NFL fan will roll their eyes at this, because that's the entire design of their league. It would also be nice if everyone travelled to every state at least once a year...there's been a Hawk drought since the 2008 flag up here...

And they will be when the AFL look next at expansion in about 10 years or so, along with Tassie and maybe nth queensland. Once these spots are covered followed by newcastle the AFL will have a national team in every major centre in the country. 10 years after this and we will be able to call ourselves Aust version of the NFL. It will be glorious.

If you are talking about comparing spread of teams vs the NFL then we already have that covered. 32 teams in the NFL spread over 21 states plus DC so its not like the NFL has every population base covered. Having no teams in LA is the big one.

The NFL was centred in the North of the country early on, which explains why teams in Ohio were numerous...there have been several Cleveland teams alone, and nearby the first two of the current 32 sides to appear were the Chicago Bears and Chicago Cardinals, followed by Green Bay. These days, there is a heavy concentration of teams on this side of the country, and it's residual from these early days...

Add Sunday nights, not twilights, on long weekends.
An obvious solution that's not so... obvious. I like the idea of this a lot.

Monday night is never going to get huge support because a huge game will never pioneer Monday night footy. The AFL don't want to risk Carlton v Collingwood in an unknown timeslot. Which is fair enough, and you can't fault them for it. It's a big drawcard. But I'd like to know how many people would rock up if both clubs were travelling okay. Clubs like North and the Bulldogs won't try out Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday either against a big club, for the same reason.

I'd like to see North Melbourne v Collingwood at the Dome on a Wednesday night in 2014. This would be round 11, allowing them a break. The round 10 game would see North away on Friday night (against Adelaide or Sydney) and Collingwood in Melbourne on Saturday. The AFL would then offer North a 2015 game on Friday night, at home, against the Pies.

I also think 12:30 is wayyy too early for people to go to the footy. What about a place and club like Fremantle. Probably half of the Perth-based fans live south of the river. Even if you're right in Freo and get to Subi at bounce-down, you're going to have to leave at 11:30. Most people drive up to Fremantle Station or have to catch another train or bus. No one wants to leave to the footy at 10am.

Sunday twilight is a nice slot. People who don't want to be home later than 9:00... just don't take your little kids. You're precious if you want to have a cup of tea and do your homework before you go to sleep.

My schedule for a normal weekend of games with 10 games a week:

- One Friday night match at 7:50pm.
- Two Saturday afternoon matches at 1:40pm.
- One Saturday twilight match at 4:40pm.
- Two Saturday night matches at 7:40pm.
- One early Sunday match at 1:10pm.
- One Sunday twilight match at 4:10pm.
- One Sunday night match at 7:10pm.
- One Monday night match at 6:45pm.

This minimises the amount of overlap between games, allowing for higher TV ratings and also giving a greater ability for a single fan to attend multiple matches over the same round. It also has earlier starts for Sunday and Monday nights compared to Friday and Saturday nights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back