20 teams, 19 rounds - Vision for an uncompromised fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure about about a full-time "Indigenous-All Stars" side. It would be great for novelty, but how would it look for indigenous stars playing for other, REAL clubs?

I dont think it is a good idea to have any club based on racial or ethnic lines. We already have enough areas of division in this country ( political, economic, social etc) without adding any more.
If NT is to have an AFL club it should be open to all & recruit through the draft system, just like everyone else.

Or we could go completely the other way and build them all on divisory lines...the abbos, the boguns, the wogs, the gays, the women, anyone under the Australian average wage, anyone above, smokers, non-smokers, Western Australia...! Every game would be a grudge match blockbuster...

Has any body thought about a New Zealand football team?

Plus one team I'd love to see happen is an all-Aboriginal football team.. Especially with the influx of Aboriginals and such, I think it would be awesome to witness, just because so many Aboriginal players are some of the best..

I do believe Tasmania could have an AFL team. 500k+ live in that state alone, they could easily play home games at both Hobart and Launceston.

An allstars v Indiginous game would be good (Yes i know NRL have one) but not a team in the AFL, we are supposed to be inclusive of all backgrounds, having 1 team in a competition that is Aboriginal only wouldnt work.

Has any body thought about a New Zealand football team?

Plus one team I'd love to see happen is an all-Aboriginal football team.. Especially with the influx of Aboriginals and such, I think it would be awesome to witness, just because so many Aboriginal players are some of the best..

I do believe Tasmania could have an AFL team. 500k+ live in that state alone, they could easily play home games at both Hobart and Launceston.

An all Aboriginal team is the worst idea ever.
1. how could it ever happen with the draft how it is?
2. Everyone would be to scared to cheers against it. Segregation again. Do they want to be treated equally or separately to everyone else

I still think that is what has/had held back the Swans up here in that they were a failed club from Melbourne

Not really. The Swans success has basically followed their onfield performance.
There was some other factors like under capitalism and lack of grassroots development.
Generally the Swans were well received by those that favoured or were neutral to Australian Football.
The GC has shown that if you can generate support for a home grown team that augers well for the future.
IMO Tasmanians would accept a relocated team just to get a team in the AFL.

Not really. The Swans success has basically followed their onfield performance.
There was some other factors like under capitalism and lack of grassroots development.
Generally the Swans were well received by those that favoured or were neutral to Australian Football.
The GC has shown that if you can generate support for a home grown team that augers well for the future.

Basically yes, but their "acceptance" happened at the same time as a gdf appearance as well as the SL war, great timing.

Tassie and Canberra should be the next two cabs off the ranks with the Giants moving 100% to WS wether by relocation or new clubs. In saying that though if a Melbourne club decided to relocate to a "new" area then that would always be good as well (Nth QLD, New Zealand etc)

I dont agree with the relocating of teams. It is not guaranteed of success in being accepted. It causes a lot of grief to lose a club. If some teams cant survive in the overcrowded Victorian market then they should go & play in the VFL. At least they would stay in their own community.

I dont agree with the relocating of teams. It is not guaranteed of success in being accepted. It causes a lot of grief to lose a club. If some teams cant survive in the overcrowded Victorian market then they should go & play in the VFL. At least they would stay in their own community.
IMO a standalone team is preferrable to a merger or even a promoted team like PA or Southport but the only people who can say if relocation is OK is the fans of the club concerned.
I say thankyou to the South Melbourne club for giving me years of enjoyment following the Sydney Swans.
Hopefully a couple of premierships has eased the pain.

Basically yes, but their "acceptance" happened at the same time as a gdf appearance

When the Swans were playing well they were playing a very attractive style of play.
There was some record of scoring over 200 points on consectitive occassions.
The SCG was sold out for Hawthorn, Collingwood and Carlton games.
Even wacko Jacko was good for an extra 5k through the gate.
They were heady days and I think that was part of the problem.
Everybody (the VFL) thought they, the Swans, would continue effortlessly.
There was a lot of jealousy around at the time so when thinks turned sour
help came only at the 11th hour and 59th minute.
Unsurprisingly, onfield performances are everything and you only have to look at the GC and GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO a standalone team is preferrable to a merger or even a promoted team like PA or Southport but the only people who can say if relocation is OK is the fans of the club concerned.
I say thankyou to the South Melbourne club for giving me years of enjoyment following the Sydney Swans.

Well reading of the misery it caused South Melbourne & Fitzroy fans & seeing how hard North Melbourne fought against it, I reckon it isnt worth the pain. Move clubs to the VFL so they stay in existence in their own community.
Tassie deserves its own team, just like WA, SA, GWS, GC & in Victoria.
We dont deserve this never ending list of FIFO clubs. Just here for the $$$$$

Well reading of the misery it caused South Melbourne & Fitzroy fans & seeing how hard North Melbourne fought against it, I reckon it isnt worth the pain. Move clubs to the VFL so they stay in existence in their own community.
Tassie deserves its own team, just like WA, SA, GWS, GC & in Victoria.
We dont deserve this never ending list of FIFO clubs. Just here for the $$$$$

Agree that Tassie (and to a lesser extent Canberra) deserve their own team. BUT North Melbourne didnt fight. Remembering correctly they tried to whore themselves to every expansion area in the country before being rejected each time and finally settled on part time in Tassie.

That is your opinion.
It's up to the fans of the clubs to decide.
I see Melbourne games well attended by the red & white.

As much as I want my club to survive, have never gotten the glee that some supporters have in trying to get rid/kill of clubs. Let them move/die/drop down a division of their own choice. Remember getting rid of a club you love to hate gives you nothing to watch/boo against later on.

Let the members of the clubs concerned determine the club's fate
whether that be re-location,merger or playing in another league.
Preferrably that choice wont be needed.

Well reading BF over the years, its clear that no one wants to give up their spot at the table. Even If a club is in dire straights then still no one would vote to move. They would just expect a handout from the AFL.
In fact The only club people on BF want to see moved out, is some one else's club!! They are all good at pointing the bone at someone else!

Well reading BF over the years, its clear that no one wants to give up their spot at the table. Even If a club is in dire straights then still no one would vote to move. They would just expect a handout from the AFL.
In fact The only club people on BF want to see moved out, is some one else's club!! They are all good at pointing the bone at someone else!

The problem is has there ever been a club in the last 30 years that hasnt been at the bottom and in loads of trouble??

Southport have some signs up at the ground, invested a few bucks, and let the Suns train at Fankhauser. They are not the Suns...

I dont think it is a good idea to have any club based on racial or ethnic lines. We already have enough areas of division in this country ( political, economic, social etc) without adding any more.
If NT is to have an AFL club it should be open to all & recruit through the draft system, just like everyone else.

There's enough problems like that with AJAx in the VAFA

I think the AFL set up was wrong from the begining. the VFL, WAFL and SANFL shouldve "merged" and had three teams from each go into the AFL. then encourage others to relocate to sydney, brisbane, and tassie. this wouldve made a 12 team national comp with 3 strong state leagues. further expansion to 16 or 18 teams would have been much more logical from a base like that

Then at best you'd have three Vic teams with big attendances, and several others fighting for the scraps of their home state...in WA and SA, the Agles and Crows get the biggest attendances because they have a history of being regarded as the "state team"... Freo has closed this gap, but Port is a poor cousin. Take three teams complete from a league, and you bring their supporters along with no backup, and with little guarantee that anyone will jump on board later, especially if you then insist that other teams have to f### off interstate...there are so many flaws with this notion, hidden by a pretty symmetry with no substance...

The way it is at the moment is the only way could have ever worked. It was never an even start, and the three leagues weren't even close to equality when crunch time came for a national comp, no matter how much the W and S Aussies would like to beat their chests about origin results. Sure it's been expoloited by the Vics, and there's been a lot of upheaval, but the alternative is the bodies of a lot of former big teams floating dead in the water...a big source of contention between myself and some West Australians is that I don't believe they lost as much to expansion as they do...not trying to start that one again, but they would have to agree that the model of the previous post would have caused bigger problems in WA and SA than the reality...and no matter what eventuated, Tassie would always be screwed...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back