20 teams, 19 rounds - Vision for an uncompromised fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

New Zealand team
Although I suspect this is an unpopular opinion, I would love a few NZ teams. One initially, in several years time if the annual game in Wellington is a hit and grass-routes AFL activities are a success. Just like A-League and NRL, a few NZ teams could strengthen our code with more sporting talent, more fans and more tourism spending. NZ is just as far East as Perth is West for the majority of teams.

Plus, it'll get us one step closer to Australia's seventh and eight states. :D Although I shouldn't need a reason, flying over to NZ to watch the footy is a great excuse for a holiday!

Auckland is by far the largest city (only city over 1 Million?), I'm not sure why the AFL isn't garnering interest with exhibition matches there instead of Wellington.

Aboriginal team
As others have said, I think this would be detrimental to unifying our culture and values. Keep Aboriginal only teams in the state leagues to foster interest and development of future players.
At the pinnacle of our code, we shouldn't be putting up any borders around teams.

It also doesn't speak highly of our country when foreigners look at our biggest sporting league and sees we have a 'special' team for Indigenous players.

Tasmania
I agree with Tassy being next.

If we were to expand to 20 teams I would go with:
* 2 new teams
* 1 relocation (from a Victorian club)

to:
* Tassy
* Auckland
* Christchurch (For the South Islanders, I'm not sure if North vs South is a cultural rivalry?!)
- Christchurch being the 3rd biggest city, only 20k behind Wellington.

But in doing so, I would also increase finals to the 'final 10' teams. Yes, the top four usually make it; but I prefer to look at it from a point of view of players, teams and fans. More finals games is exciting for fans, players and teams get finals practice while they're on the way up, teams get more money from playing them.
How are those kiwi teams going along?

When Tas enters...

Weeks 1-19: Everyone plays each other once, 18 games plus one bye

Weeks 20-26:. Top 8 Round Robin, 7 games, higher seed gets the home game (1st gets to play all games at home, 8th plays all games away)

Week 27: Prelims
1st v 4th, 2nd v 3rd
from the Top 8 Round Robin

Week 28: GF

No.

That won't happen.

Less games would be crap. Need to stick to 22.
Pass.

What's so special about 22?

It's an 18 team comp now, not 12.

3 divisions of 6 clubs each would be the way to have a fixture formula to satisfy this magic 22, but most fans wouldn't want it and would prefer the unprofessional dogs breakfast we have now.

3 divisions of 6 clubs each would be the way to have a fixture formula to satisfy this magic 22, but most fans wouldn't want it and would prefer the unprofessional dogs breakfast we have now.

The "magical" part of 22 is that 22 plus 4 (finals) = 26, exactly half of a calendar year.

As it happens, over time, we have been able to scrimp an extra 2 weeks from cricket, so our season currently goes for 28 weeks, and we're probably now in a position to make it 29 weeks, but that's probably the limit.

Filling up the 29 weeks is actually more important to the AFL than a symmetrical draw.

Personally, I don't buy into the issue of "fairness" or "equity" in the draw. If you can't win enough games in your 22 to make the top 8, the strong likelihood is that you aren't good enough to win the premiership.

You are not much of a footy junkie if you are happy with a reduction in the number of games. you are deluded if you think that the number of games will ever be reduced.
Divisions would make the fixture even more imbalanced.
Pass on both.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back