Review 20 year Anniversary 99 Prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

It needs to. Enjoy it, recall it fondly, but we need to stop talking about it.
Why? We stopped the arch enemy from winning a premiership against huge odds. Most likely they would be on 17 premierships now.
It was a wonderful memory that after 20 years is something that will be forever remembered especially those privileged enough to be there.

we all know what happened the following week - you do understand the concept of anniversaries?
I am well aware of the concept of anniversaries, just that some events don't justify a celebration.

Most teams don't compete to be happy with coming second. It is a losers mentality from a club starved of success.

Do Sydney get excited about Lockett kicking an after the siren goal to get them into a Prelim?

Who would have thought that 20 years later a prelim win would be the best thing we have to celebrate.
Nothing wrong with celebrating our history..a fantastic game in our history

The 2009 final from 9th was pretty good too

Why? We stopped the arch enemy from winning a premiership against huge odds. Most likely they would be on 17 premierships now.
It was a wonderful memory that after 20 years is something that will be forever remembered especially those privileged enough to be there.

They don't talk about '93 nearly half as much as we go on about '99 and they actually lifted the cup.

We spoke about it on our little show recently. Don't get me wrong, we all love it and remember it with great fondness... but it was 20 years ago and we've accomplished nothing of note since. Its tragically sad.

Enjoy the 20th anniversary, watch the doco the Club has made, then look forward.

we don't actually - it hasn't made us weaker - it has had little affect on our drive to succeed - I'll wager it does more to stoke the fires of animosity toward * than 68 - it's not considered our greatest achievement and doesn't come close to 95 - it wasn't supposed to happen and no-one thought it would, myself included, but it did and plenty of people there and watching and listening around the country said it was the best, most exciting game they'd ever experienced - so take your 'cast' whatever that is and learn to read a room - I for one will be talking about it as long as I live.

you're conflating my statement with a false sentiment.

It *was* a great day. It *was* a memorable win.

We talk about it so much because we've had nothing knock it off it's perch in 20 years. That's the problem, we harp on about winning a preliminary final because it's the biggest game we've won in 20 years.

It's time for some new memorable moments, surely.

I sat up top of Ponsford stand with my son who was 4 years old then.

Son told his Mum," Dad was high 5ing all these people at the end of game and he didn't even know them."

Glad Murphy did not take shot after siren.

To beat Essendon by 1 point, nothing more sweet
I was behind the goals at the Punt Rd end - maybe M5 or something like that. I should check my ticket.

you're conflating my statement with a false sentiment.

It *was* a great day. It *was* a memorable win.

We talk about it so much because we've had nothing knock it off it's perch in 20 years. That's the problem, we harp on about winning a preliminary final because it's the biggest game we've won in 20 years.

It's time for some new memorable moments, surely.
it's called history, seriously, I can't help ya.......

They don't talk about '93 nearly half as much as we go on about '99 and they actually lifted the cup.

We spoke about it on our little show recently. Don't get me wrong, we all love it and remember it with great fondness... but it was 20 years ago and we've accomplished nothing of note since. Its tragically sad.

Enjoy the 20th anniversary, watch the doco the Club has made, then look forward.
any advice on what colour socks I wear tomorrow? your patronizing tone is odious..........

I am well aware of the concept of anniversaries, just that some events don't justify a celebration.

Most teams don't compete to be happy with coming second. It is a losers mentality from a club starved of success.

Do Sydney get excited about Lockett kicking an after the siren goal to get them into a Prelim?
why don't you ask sydney supporters waht they thought/think of it? you actually think carlton is in any danger of developing a loser's mentality because we hang onto a magical, against the odds victory? carlton? seriously? it would be more comical to have the anniversary come around for supporters to say "shoosh, can't say anything, loser's mentality"........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope after we win the premiership next year I don't have to forget about it completely by trade week. Seriously if we're not allowed to look back at our greatest memories then what's the point of supporting the club? Acting as if this game is holding us back is completely and utterly laughable.

I hope after we win the premiership next year I don't have to forget about it completely by trade week. Seriously if we're not allowed to look back at our greatest memories then what's the point of supporting the club? Acting as if this game is holding us back is completely and utterly laughable.
Not comparable situations at all.

The Ian PrenderCast

Sport is an emotional experience for most people. It provides joy, sorrow, camaraderie and memories.

Ideally the joy comes from winning a flag. But sometimes it comes from other places. From witnessing a special mark, an individual performance, a great comeback, a win against all odds, the debut of a future champion or even just sharing some father-daughter mortadella sandwiches (KohPhi TM).

Sure, if I could swap the 99 prelim for a flag I would. I think we ALL would. And I hope our future joyous football memories are of premierships, not prelim finals.

That doesn't mean we can't enjoy non-flag memories. Hell, I even have some special football memories of things I have witnessed not involving Carlton. And I've lived through a few flags, so that's not loser talk.

The 1999 prelim was a special match. Not just for they joy it gave Carlton fans or the fact * still sees it as the one that got away. Neutrals still talk about it reverentially on the main board, 20 years on.

If you can only find joy from premierships, then 90-95% of your football experiences and memories are going to suck. I will always cherish witness being at the 1999 prelim and I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of.

Went to an very enjoyable party that night in Springvale (I was 19), was at that stage in my life where I was more interested in the fairer sex than footy or anything else (as you do), won't go onto details but it was one of the best and greatest day/night's of my life, and on top of that Jeff Kennett lost the unlosable election.

I was really out of reality at the time the election results came in (in a good way) really felt like my own personal Woodstock in hindsight . You never forget days like that !!!

The Ian PrenderCast

Sport is an emotional experience for most people. It provides joy, sorrow, camaraderie and memories.

Ideally the joy comes from winning a flag. But sometimes it comes from other places. From witnessing a special mark, an individual performance, a great comeback, a win against all odds, the debut of a future champion or even just sharing some father-daughter mortadella sandwiches (KohPhi TM).

Sure, if I could swap the 99 prelim for a flag I would. I think we ALL would. And I hope our future joyous football memories are of premierships, not prelim finals.

That doesn't mean we can't enjoy non-flag memories. Hell, I even have some special football memories of things I have witnessed not involving Carlton. And I've lived through a few flags, so that's not loser talk.

The 1999 prelim was a special match. Not just for they joy it gave Carlton fans or the fact * still sees it as the one that got away. Neutrals still talk about it reverentially on the main board, 20 years on.

If you can only find joy from premierships, then 90-95% of your football experiences and memories are going to suck. I will always cherish witness being at the 1999 prelim and I don't think that's anything to be ashamed of.

You're misunderstanding my and others' point of view. The 1999 Preliminary Final was a magnificent day for our football club. It is an all-time great, against-all-odds, backs-to-the-wall triumph full of truly legendary moments. Its a staple of the footy marathon and classic matches circuit for a reason; for all that it gave us and took away from them, the subtext is as rich as the contest itself.

It's a key pillar in the rivalry between two of the competition's fiercest foes and it's most successful clubs. I'm sure I'm not alone in knowing that match and, in particular, the final quarter back to front, inside out and from top to bottom.

You'll hear no argument from me against all of that, all that it means to people and the reverence people hold for it...

But, 20 years on, I think our celebration of the 1999 Preliminary Final is disproportionate to the achievement. Hell, I'd argue our win against them in Round 3, 2001 was as impressive given the circumstances.

We beat a superior side who was missing it's best player, kicked inaccurately, snatched at a golden chance to win it late and then had a player have a brain fade to seal the result. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but facts are facts. It's all there on the tape.

We don't celebrate reaching a Grand Final. We celebrate the idea that Essendon would've otherwise won the flag.

It stands as a moment in time, but one we best move on from after 20 years of achieving little else.

If you want to revel in it until the end of your days be my guest, it's up to you, I just hope we have something else to hold in such high regard sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
Topped off the day by doing two laps of Windy Hill that night with Carlton flags hanging out the car and honking the horn.

:thumbsu: :p :thumbsu:

If I wasn't a Carlton supporter I would say that was a d*ck move.

But I AM a Carlton supporter......so I LOVE IT!

:p

You're misunderstanding my and others' point of view. The 1999 Preliminary Final was a magnificent day for our football club. It is an all-time great, against-all-odds, backs-to-the-wall triumph full of truly legendary moments. Its a staple of the footy marathon and classic matches circuit for a reason; for all that it gave us and took away from them, the subtext is as rich as the contest itself.

It's a key pillar in the rivalry between two of the competition's fiercest foes and it's most successful clubs. I'm sure I'm not alone in knowing that match and, in particular, the final quarter back to front, inside out and from top to bottom.

You'll hear no argument from me against all of that, all that it means to people and the reverence people hold for it...

But, 20 years on, I think our celebration of the 1999 Preliminary Final is disproportionate to the achievement. Hell, I'd argue our win against them in Round 3, 2001 was as impressive given the circumstances.

We beat a superior side who was missing it's best player, kicked inaccurately, snatched at a golden chance to win it late and then had a player have a brain fade to seal the result. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but facts are facts. It's all there on the tape.

We don't celebrate reaching a Grand Final. We celebrate the idea that Essendon would've otherwise won the flag.

It stands as a moment in time, but one we best move on from after 20 years of achieving little else.

If you want to revel in it until the end of your days be my guest, it's up to you, I just hope we have something else to hold in such high regard sooner rather than later.
we all do, in the mean time...……...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back