Review 20 year Anniversary 99 Prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Mad Dog Brown take down Wallis never gets old. Sure, we went on to lose the grand final which wasn’t disappointing particularly with Murphy doing his knee, but that was Essendon’s year and we denied them what would’ve premiership number 16.

It was ******* good win you peanuts....against the team I hate the most that we should never have won, not just Carlton supporters talk about it it’s an all time classic

I’m gonna you tube

Top deck of the Ponsford with a gaggle of Carlton and * supporting friends. Absolute ride for the game and absolute joy when the final siren sounded. Dead set certs they were. Schadenfreude fell in a heavy mist. And, as recounted many times before, I surfed down the stairs on * supporter tears.

Celebrating aplenty. Baggers!

I am well aware of the concept of anniversaries, just that some events don't justify a celebration.

Most teams don't compete to be happy with coming second. It is a losers mentality from a club starved of success.

Do Sydney get excited about Lockett kicking an after the siren goal to get them into a Prelim?
It comes out in highlight reels with regularity. :) Watched a doc on the Noughties recently and it featured.
Just as I watch the 99 prelim every couple of years with as smile. Kouta entered in Blues folklore in that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was ******* good win you peanuts....against the team I hate the most that we should never have won, not just Carlton supporters talk about it it’s an all time classic

I’m gonna you tube
so peanuts...…...

No matter how many flags we may or may not win from now until I cark it, the '99 prelim will always be a very special memory. Flags will always be special, because - duh - they're flags. But this game, which we were not scripted to win, against a bitter rival, I still regard as the best win by our beloved Blues that I have ever witnessed. 20 years later, it still gives me warm tinglies to think about it. How heroic our players were that day! How determined! Not in the least willing to accept that they were outclassed by a "better" team.
Some cherished moments I can still picture in my head (or if I can't "picture" them - watch on video ;))
  • First goal of the game emphatically scored by former bomber Glenn Manton.
  • Defiantly charging out to an early lead and holding the lead at half time.
  • Rallying after * had surged back and threatened to overwhelm us in the third.
  • Skinny Lappin snapping from the top of the 50 arc, the ball clearing the pack then bounce... bounce... GOOOAAALLL!!!
  • Kouta's two massive pack marks and goals.
  • Whitnall's epic shot at goal from 50 on an angle to put us more than a goal ahead, deep in the final quarter.
  • That tackle by The Dog, undoubtedly saving a match-winning goal.
  • Justin Murphy marking withing range; I'm thinking surely we've got them now? Murphy calmly takes his time, pulls socks up, etc. So much noise, I never even heard the siren - just pandemonium erupting from the crowd, as Murphy hurls the ball in the air in triumph.
  • A mad frenzy of hugs and screaming. Belting out The Song!!! Looking over at the mass of * supporters around where their cheer squad were, seeing all those red-and-black clad heads and shoulders slumped in utter despair.
More flags may come to us (they'd better), and they will be glorious, but this game will always be very special to me and any Blues fans who were around to experience it. Thanks for this thread, I appreciate it! I had forgotten it has already been 20 years.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back