Review 20 year Anniversary 99 Prelim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Listened on the wireless.(gotta love the Saturday afternoon replay)

Sat on mums kitchen bench and all I can remember is the ABC caller(Tim lane i think) mentioning koutas name every 30 seconds...bloke played a last quarter for the ages.

Frazer brown’s tackle lives in infamy....pretty sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This game is probably my earliest footy memory and one of my favourites. I was only 4 years old at the time and I remember this day vividly. Both my parents were working so I had been left in the care of my grandparents, and in particular, my mad Essendon-supporting grandfather.

I was sitting on the floor of my grandparents' living room in front of what I remember to be an about 12 inch screen television, clad in a variety of Carlton gear such as beanie and scarf. I didn't move for the entire afternoon until the siren went where I proceeded to start running around the house in celebration, much to the disgust of my nonno who clearly must have thought my parents had done a positively shithouse job raising me so far. My dad always tells me that my nonno had attempted to corrupt me into supporting * when I was about 2-3, so I would imagine seeing this little upstart tearing your house down after a 1 point Carlton win was probably the last thing he wanted to see.

It's a great memory but also a little sad that in the 20 years since I haven't yet formed another one that I look back on with the same fondness (maybe 2013 EF but there's something about 99...). Hopefully this group we're bringing together at the moment can help to change that :)

Was at that game and it was definitely a great one but pales into insignificance compared to the 68,70,72,79,81,82,87 and 95 Grand Finals ;)

Song comes on the music channel, Alanis singing “it’s like rain...”

Wife and I look at each other and say “bloody hell, that song is from 1995, 24 years ago.....” Seems like yesterday.

My youngest son, loves the Blues, born in ‘98......three years after we won our last. He’s friggen 21 now.

It’s been too long.

Click into gear you bastards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of those great unexpected, glorious days.

If you young kids want a summation of the last gasp of a mighty giant, this was it.

Really shouldn’t have gotten that far, honestly most of us thought a close first half and go down swinging was honorable....

The 3rd quarter * had 14, count ‘em, scoring shots and I kinda thought ok.......and then Kouta did that thing.

The last quarter was truly insane, can barely watch the last 3 minutes, just wave after wave of * attacks.

.....and we took it all.

Last edited:
Was actually my Wedding Day!
From a family of Carlton and Essendon tragics there were transistors and ear pieces scattered through the congregation and plenty of hand gestures signaling two goals up, three goals up!!

Our driver said he’d seen plenty of things take place in the back of a wedding car but never a couple listening to the footy! Can’t say the bride didn’t know what she was getting into!

The blues scarf features in many of the wedding photos and it was proudly flapping out the wedding car window as we made our way down Punt Rd to the reception venue. Every Blues fan driving the other way was on the horn acknowledging in celebration.
Great memories!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back