20 Years On - Vale Trevor Barker

Remove this Banner Ad

323939-trevor-barker.jpg

saints.com.au said:
Twenty years ago today, St Kilda legend Trevor Barker tragically lost his battle with cancer at the young age of just 39.

Across 15 years and 230 games at Moorabbin, and the years that followed his career, Barker was the heartbeat of St Kilda, providing success starved supporters with a beacon of hope and a source of pride during a bleak period in the clubs history.

Renowned for his supreme loyalty, Barker stuck true to the Saints despite lucrative overtures from a plethora of clubs during his playing days. And it’s that loyalty, coupled with his on-field brilliance, that has him held in such high regard at St Kilda Football Club that the best and fairest prize is named in his honour.

During his time at the Saints, Barker won a pair of best and fairest’s, captained the club between 1983 and 1986 before passing the baton to Danny Frawley, and represented the Big V on seven occasions.

With his phenomenal aerial skills and his fearless attack on the ball, Barker was one of the premier players in the 1980s and was named in the Saints team of the century, before being elevated to legend status in 2013.

A poster boy for the Saints during a difficult time, teammates and supporters were enamoured with the boy from Cheltenham, the man who bled red, white and black and ensured everyone felt attached to the club.

By the time cancer clutched its evil talons around him, Barker had already proven himself as an impressive coach, winning two premierships at Sandringham in the VFL. A VFL coaching career beckoned, before his life was cut short. Although it’s a part of his life not forgotten by those who experienced his tutelage first hand.

No one epitomised St Kilda’s motto, Fortius Quo Fidelius – Strength through loyalty – better than the late, great Trevor Barker. A true icon of the St Kilda Football Club.​
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-04-26/two-decades-on

• 230 Games, 134 Goals
  • St Kilda Best & Fairest 1976 & 1981
  • St Kilda FC Captain 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986
  • Victoria interstate representative (7 games)
  • St Kilda FC Team of the Century 1900-1999
  • St Kilda FC Hall Of Fame - Legend Status

Any memories or stories you'd like to share of this legend, post them here :thumbsu:

I was a kid when he passed, but I think I remember that he'd won a couple of premierships in the early 90s with Sandy and everyone thought he was on the verge of coaching the Saints.

Thanks for the topic.
Love Barks, a hero as I grew in a knitted rwb jumper. He was almost all I had.... my only schoolyard comeback (in what seemed every week) that being Mark of the week. My memory was the highlights from our games were few, but always some Barker brilliance.

My name on here is pure Barker. Always remembered/referred to as the flashy, high flying blonde who did his best work at the Saints disco. Yet come Sunday morning he raced pigeons with the common man and gave back to the club his Mark of the Year prize.

Superstar, gentleman and a hero of our club.
Fortius Quo Fidelius is Trevor thru and thru. Without Trevor we could very nearly be Fitzroy or South Melbourne imo.
RIP Trev and I wish the club had retired #1 as a mark or respect.

When you're a kid you idolise those who excel in your chosen sport. They're why you choose that sport in the first place. You run around the backyard being them at their brilliant best. You want to be them.

Barks was larger than life. He moved so gracefully it was like he was in slow motion. He'd get you so excited you'd fall off those two cans you were standing on in the outer. When you played kick to kick you'd end up taking speccies on anyone who happened to be under the flight of the ball, and then have to apologise for being unable to resist the temptation. I even managed to take one playing for Cheltenham (as Barks did). Couldn't resist.

Sure he was the surfie-type, but Barks appeal was more through being a natural - as a footballer and as a person. He was the definition of cool. The fact he was loyal to our struggling club just added to the love we all had for him. He was us at our best.

upload_2016-4-27_10-15-5.png

I only ever had number 1 on my jumper growing up as a kid and I will never ever forget meeting him after a game at Waverley in the rooms circa 1980. He signed my jumper and talked to me and my uncle for about 15 minutes all the while having beautiful blonde girls literally hanging off him. I will never forget that day as a 10 year old.

Barks was my hero growing up. Like #1 pigeon racer, at primary school the only thing I could hang my hat on was Barker taking mark of the week and mark of the year! Times were hard back then as a Saints supporter. I had number one on my jumper and my dufflecoat, (remember those lol), as well as the badge!!!

The guy was loyal and was a prime reason we are still around as a club! Such a gentleman and a superstar of our great club!!

Just on loyalty......to me loyalty is one of the most important things in my personal and professional relationships, (especially close mates and girlfriends). And I know that comes from a lifetime of supporting St Kilda and being inspired by my hero, the great Trevor Barker.

I think if he had lived he would have coached the club based off his success at Sandringham. I have no doubt of that. Except he would have been different to Hird, Buckley and Voss - he actually would have made a great coach as he had pedigree from Sandringham!!

I recently got given this from my father which will be hung in the new apartment.

58928-st-kilda-saints-trevor-barker-australian-football-legend-lithograph-2000.jpg

I met Trev once. I worked at a servo on Beach Road in the late 70s, early 80s and for a while Grant Thomas would come in during my shift on Sunday morning to get his van filled with petrol. We used to talk about the previous day's game and usually how badly the Saints had done. One morning after a particularly bad defeat against Geelong at Kardinia Park, the van drove onto the forecourt as usual but it wasn't GT it was Barks. It was a thrill to meet him and have a chat for about 5 minutes before the next customer came in. He was every Saints supporters hero at the time. He was generous with his time that morning and it was a very sad day when I heard of his passing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back