Delisted #20: Zac Clarke - Delisted - 24/10

Welcome to Essendon Zachary Clarke. Looks set to happen on the 1st December under the new AFL rules. I had thought it had happened already with no announcement.

Height: 203cm Weight: 96kg Position: Ruck

Last Drafted: Round 3, Pick #37 2008 National Draft by Fremantle Dockers

Zachary Clarke - (R) 28 September 1990, 203cm 77kg. VicM/Oakleigh Chargers/Surrey Park

"foj1:: 47. Zachary Clarke 203cm 77kg Vic Metro
Very tall, very light beanpole. Clarke is a long way off being competitive in the AFL however the rewards could be significant if he comes on. There is a touch of Robert Warnock about Clarke and clubs are simply much more patient with big blokes. A club like Brisbane who have Charman, Lueuenberger and Mitch Clark is the perfect club for this project."

"HFF 07: ZACHARY CLARKE 203cm 84kg RUCK Oakleigh Chargers
A bean pole of a ruckmen, could be a project type for AFL clubs this year, is a mobile player, does not win alot of hitouts but is competitive enough for a big bloke.
PROS: - Mobile, Competitive, Contested Marking,
CONS: - Tap outs, Marking,
PREDICTION: 40 - 70"

"ant555: Zachary Clarke – 203cm, 84kg – Oakleigh Chargers
Vic Metro’s fourth string ruckman who has had a reasonable year for the Chargers so far. Has split his time with some ruck duties as well as playing at FF. He does not win as many taps as he should for a player of his height but he has done pretty well in the games I have seen him play. His has good skills by foot and by hand and is pretty mobile with good pace for a tall. Has shown he can take a good contested mark but it is also one area of his game that could improve a bit more. He gets to the rights spots but has spilled a couple grabs that he should have taken at various times during games. His goal kicking is pretty good and he has been in Oakleigh’s better players on a number of occasions this year. Not a player I expect to go second or third round but certainly a player worth looking at when the fourth round comes along. Could possibly sneak into the third round but I suspect he will be picked fourth round or later if he goes."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-15/new-rookie-rules-clarke-mumford-free-to-join-club-of-choice
They have the opportunity to sign as Category A rookies in the pre-season supplemental selection period between December 1 and March 15, after next week's drafts are over.

Clarke, 28, doesn't qualify as a delisted free agent because he spent a season out of the AFL, but the new rules are effectively an extension of that status.

Last edited:

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
Seems to be listed on our footywire page. Unfortunately our ruckman numbers all seem to be full. Perhaps Redman goes to a more appropriate number and allows Zac to have 27 given we've had Ses, La(z)ycock, Giles, Madden and Allen in the number 27.

I know that this is pretty much in the bag, but i just spent a good while chuckling at the hawthorne welcome irvine mosquito thread. Going early... risky
I saw it listed on Footywire and thought I had missed it (I was updating the contract status thread). I then edited my initial post to say it would happen when the window opens.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Makes a lot of sense to get another AFL experienced ruckman just in case. Clarke isn't too bad from what I remember of his games at Freo. I'm still pretty hyped about Draper though.

naraku

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
A.C. Milan
A good addition to the team and will help guide Draper as well.
Happy to have Clarke here

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
He's the backup ruckman I wanted as his length makes him a good tap ruck and his athleticism should make him at least capable of keeping up physically with the comps better rucks. My AFL comparison would be Ceglar.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
I've always thought he looked like a Harlem Globetrotter myself.

It'll be a good move when it happens.

The alternative can only really end badly by comparison.

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
He's the backup ruckman I wanted as his length makes him a good tap ruck and his athleticism should make him at least capable of keeping up physically with the comps better rucks. My AFL comparison would be Ceglar.
His... length??...

I've always thought he looked like a Harlem Globetrotter myself.
665A8A0F-2E4B-466A-AE18-F33D56F76372.jpeg

I can see that. Maybe Kareem, during his hair days

Weird comparison.

Clakkas is supremely athletic, has a really good leap and is a really solid tap ruck man. He will be more then a good back up ruckman for you, i can see him being a really good contributor at AFL as a lead ruckman if his knees can stand up to the rigors.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Weird comparison.

Clakkas is supremely athletic, has a really good leap and is a really solid tap ruck man. He will be more then a good back up ruckman for you, i can see him being a really good contributor at AFL as a lead ruckman if his knees can stand up to the rigors.

Isn't that what Ceglar is? An athletic ruck who is more than handy at AFL level? Agree that Clarke is more athletic but Ceglar cancels that out with added height.

I'm a big Clarke fan and would not be surprised to see him pressure Bellchambers at points this year.

Isn't that what Ceglar is? An athletic ruck who is more than handy at AFL level? Agree that Clarke is more athletic but Ceglar cancels that out with added height.

I'm a big Clarke fan and would not be surprised to see him pressure Bellchambers at points this year.

Is Ceglar regarded as athletic?

Back