30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Its been done for the full AFL history, but not this century only

Im going to dispense with the exclusion of players who didn't play all in the 2000s. They can be in.

So, for the Hawks. Stratton Lake Frawley with Guerra on the Bench or switched in for a small forward line

(I believe the actual backline of the (previous) century is Collins Langford Ayres)

Surely Geelong is a very competitive backline with Enright Scarlett Taylor or Lions with Johnson Michael White

Did they have to play together at the same time?

I think that was the idea of the 'backline of the century'

I think the half back line was Richmond. Hawks lo had the ruck division in Scott Matthews Tuck
Anyone remember the others? cant find it in a search

I think that was the idea of the 'backline of the century'

I think the half back line was Richmond. Hawks lo had the ruck division in Scott Matthews Tuck
Anyone remember the others? cant find it in a search
I was just thinking of our best lines over the last few decades, if they all played together then our best listed B line would probably be
Grimes Rance Vlastuin
Would probably be in the top handful

I was just thinking of our best lines over the last few decades, if they all played together then our best listed B line would probably be
Grimes Rance Vlastuin
Would probably be in the top handful

Its pretty good too. I'd imagine Eagles and Pies too.

Funny that I cant find the original lines of the century discussion, it got as much discussion as anything at the time

These were the Eagles full back lines in 2005 & 2006 GFs, both are competitive I reckon.

2005 - Wirrpanda (All-Oz 2005) Darren Glass (4 times All-Oz, All-Oz Captain) Adam Hunter
2006 - Wirrpanda Glass Daniel Chick

Choice of 3 for the full-backs I'd reckon:

Gibson, Lake, Stratton.
Johnson, Michael, White.
Lonergan, Scarlett, Hunt.

Being a one-eyed biased Hawk fan, I'd obviously plump for our 3.
It's a fantastic line. Only challenge would be that in 13 and 14 the Hawks would have played Lake at FB and Gibson was named CHB in those teams as the respective second tall. Would the more likely FB line have been Stratton, Lake, Insert back pocket Guerra/someone else?

It's a fantastic line. Only challenge would be that in 13 and 14 the Hawks would have played Lake at FB and Gibson was named CHB in those teams as the respective second tall. Would the more likely FB line have been Stratton, Lake, Insert back pocket Guerra/someone else?

Spangher was the CHB in 2014. With Hodge & Birchall on the back flanks.

Gibbo was only ever a second-up spoiler-merchant....He played tall when he had to against the quicker opponents.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back