oh_my_hat

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2000
one-out in the goal squar
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Tottenham
LBF, unfortunately ESPN isn't on my carrier. We only get a few highlights depending on the feed from the U.S.

If I had more money I would have the other cable carrier hooked up at home too because they have 2 or 3 games of NBA basketball each week too and I only get 1 game. Maybe down the track I could look at it. I'd prefer to wait until DSL internet is more affordable and splash my cash that way. Then I could so some serious song downloads. :D

I agree, the Ravens @ Steelers is the toughest game and as Pitt are my pick to represent the AFC I will have to stay with them.

I hope that Kurt Warner gets his voice back in time for this weekend. It's going to be pretty hard to audible otherwise.

Stealth bomber

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2000
Denver, Colorado
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GB Packers, STL Cards, PHI Flyers
Do you usually leave yourself wide open like this?

Can you elaborate on that?

Let me rephrase it actually....I think John Madden's commentary tends to be patronising; I don't think he gives the viewer much credit sometimes.

Mooster7

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2001
Kansas City, USA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
KC Chiefs
I like John Madden. I agree he can be simplistic, but this helps a lot as you then have less to explain to the girls, and maybe they'll shut up more during the game. ;)

Most TV commentators talk about the great running ability of so-and-so who just ripped one loose for 23 yards. Madden will talk about the lineman who gave the block to make it possible.

In general, they are all annoying. When the Chiefs play, I mute everything, and listen to the live radio broadcast of the great Hall of Fame Quarterback - from Purdue - 1969 Super Bowl Champion - of the Kansas City Chiefs - Len Dawson.

Peace, Mooster

Longboysfan

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2001
Internet land
AFL Club
Adelaide
Madden is there to entertain the common fan.
Not the hard core NFL addict.
You don't see min on the telestrator much anymore.
Unless it's to say bam - boom this guy went this way and bash they pile up here.
They are not into tech NFL style.
His time is past for that.

Chris_23

Club Legend
Mar 5, 2001
La Curva Nord, Milano
I've been on this site for ages and today is the first time i scrolled down and noticed the American Sports Board, imbecile. :rolleyes:

What is it with Brett Favre in domes? I was watching NFL Primetime and i couldn't believe my eyes when i saw that he threw six picks! The Rams are dangerous enough as it is, you don't need to be handing out interceptions every time you get possesion.

I got up at 3:30am to watch the Mighty Steelers trounce the Ravens. It was over in a matter of minutes. The Steelers had very little trouble carving open the Ravens defence. Kordell Stewart's transformation into a top class quarterback has come from knowhere. He always had the tools but he couldn't get it done. The Steelers defence looked great too. Joey Porter's effort to put pressure on Elvis Grbac in the first drive of the game set the scene. The only thing that worries me is Kris Brown, he missed another field goal today. :mad:

Longboysfan

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2001
Internet land
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Ravens offense was offensive to the sight and performance ways with no results.

You have to have some shot at scoring to win games.

Last year the Ravens did get enough scores to win.
This year no.

One year wonders. And the CAP is going to gut this team for the 2003 season. Ray Lewis will be standin there crankin himself off because the Ravens overspent to win the SB in 2001 and hold on n 2002.

Stealth bomber

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2000
Denver, Colorado
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
GB Packers, STL Cards, PHI Flyers
What is it with Brett Favre in domes?

I think some of it is psychological, some of it is luck, some is the fault of his teammates and some of it is good competition.

Favre won't admit he pays attention to stats, but he seems to know them very well, particularly his .300 winning percentage indoors.

I know one of the Packer offensive lineman, and he says that, before the snap, on any one given play three or four different players may call a blocking audible and whole line will have to hear it. Noise obviously makes this difficult.

On top of that, some of the Packers' receivers aren't good communicators. Bill Schroeder is notorious for running incorrect routes or cutting correct ones off, resulting in errant throws that get picked off. The first interception in the Rams game was a perfect example. I think that it happens more often indoors because again, the noise probably screws up communication.

Sunday was plain and simple bad luck. At least three of those picks were tipped right to somebody.

And they've played some good teams. The Vikings stunk this year, but they've been pretty good in the last 6 or 7, and the Packers have to play them in that bubble every year. And the Rams need little explanation.

Collo

Debutant
Nov 10, 2001
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Da Eagles

I think the Eagles have a fair dinkum shot at the Superbowl with Syracuse U's own Donovan McNabb in the form he is in at present.

He played a blinder on Saturday and I can see them beating the Rams, I really can.

Go you good thing!

Winston Wolf

Debutant
Oct 9, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Video Reviews in the NFL

Saw a classic "turnover" in 4th Qtr of MNF Dolphins @ Buccaneers game, which ended up not being a turnover because it wasn't "reviewable"

The scenario :
Buccaneer TE Tracey Wistrom went up for a "dump over the middle" catch but the ball was knocked loose in a hard hit by Dolphin DT Ernest Grant while both players were in the air. The ball popped up in the air as the 2 players fell to the ground. Grant ended up falling onto Buccaneer Linesman Gooch and the ball became wedged between the butts of both players (Grant & Gooch) .... what a sight for sore eyes, as the commentator called it a butt-ball. The ball DID NOT get anywhere near the ground, and so Dolphin LB Kevin Rollins jumped onto the pile of players and picked up the ball........TURNOVER DOLPHINS !!!!!! Right ??????

Wrong........After Wannstedt challenged the decision, the referee wasted 2-3 minutes (without even looking at the video replay) before announcing that the Head Linesman had blown his whistle and ruled the play an Incomplete Pass, which is not a reviewable play. I'm also pretty sure that the Dolphins were charged and lost their time-out.

My question therefore, is twofold.......

1. what plays fall into the "reviewable" and "not-reviewable" categories
2. why wouldn't any type of possible turnover be automatically included as reviewable (regardless of the initial call on the ground)

oh_my_hat

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2000
one-out in the goal squar
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Tottenham
Winston, from what you have described it would make perfect sense to review this play. Perhaps the fact the the play was whistled over by the ref overrides any review. I have, however, seen plenty of plenty of reviews on whether a clean reception/fumble has been made in the past so it really doen't make any sense.

I think the Brady situation in the playoffs last year was a similar case if I recall correctly.

Back