AE 2002 NFL Tipping Comp - Week 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Longboysfan

Team Captain
Oct 19, 2001
Internet land
AFL Club
Adelaide
I know - hat where are you. Out Shopping....
Well I'm a few hours behind and have time for this.
Good luck to all and have a great Holiday.

Saturday, Dec. 28
Philadelphia at N.Y. Giants, 1:30 pm
Kansas City at Oakland, 5:00 pm
Sunday, Dec. 29
Atlanta at Cleveland, 1:00 pm
Baltimore at Pittsburgh, 1:00 pm
Carolina at New Orleans, 1:00 pm
Cincinnati at Buffalo, 1:00 pm
Dallas at Washington, 1:00 pm
Miami at New England, 1:00 pm
Minnesota at Detroit, 1:00 pm
Tennessee at Houston, 1:00 pm
Jacksonville at Indianapolis, 4:05 pm
Arizona at Denver, 4:15 pm
Green Bay at N.Y. Jets, 4:15 pm
Seattle at San Diego, 4:15 pm
Tampa Bay at Chicago, 8:30 pm
Monday, Dec. 30
San Francisco at St. Louis, 9:00 pm

Last chance for a perfect round (yeah, right :rolleyes: )

NY Giants
Oakland (bet I can do it twice for ya, Mooster ;) )
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
New Orleans
Buffalo
Washington
New England
Minnesota
Tennessee
Indianapolis
Denver
Green Bay
San Diego
Chicago
San Francisco

And before I forget, a big thanks goes out to The Hat for organizing and keeping the scores, well done son. It's been fun. :cool:

N.Y. Giants
Oakland
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
New Orleans
Buffalo
Washington
New England
Minnesota
Tennessee
Jacksonville
Denver
Green Bay
San Diego
Tampa Bay
San Francisco

Packers win and Eagles loss gives Green Bay home field. Go Giants!

Well in case there was any doubt at all Winston has blown it to the schizenhausen here on in. This week shall be interesting to see who emerges from the pack to take 2nd.

Thanks to everyone for participating in this competition I will have to get my shyte together and do better next year.

Winston Wolf (10) 148
You Idiot (8) 142
Mooster (9) 141
Stealth Bomber (11) 141
Longboysfan (8) 140
Hippie (10) 136
Oh My Hat (7) 135
Nuffy (6) 117
Pump (8) 117
NakedDeadGuy 10 70

Here are my tips for the final round. As there are Saturday games in the US this week please have your tips in early this week (before 3am Sunday morning).

Sat, Dec 28 LOCATION
Philadelphia vs NY Giants Giants Stadium
Kansas City vs Oakland Network Associates Coliseum
Sun, Dec 29 LOCATION
Baltimore vs Pittsburgh Heinz Field
Dallas vs Washington FedEx Field - Only because of the streak
Tennessee vs Houston Reliant Stadium
Cincinnati vs Buffalo Ralph Wilson Stadium
Atlanta vs Cleveland Cleveland Browns Stadium
Minnesota vs Detroit Ford Field
Miami vs New England Gillette Stadium
Carolina vs New Orleans Superdome
Jacksonville vs Indianapolis RCA Dome
Green Bay vs NY Jets Giants Stadium
Arizona vs Denver Invesco Field
Seattle vs San Diego Qualcomm Stadium
Tampa Bay vs Chicago Memorial Stadium
Mon, Dec 30 LOCATION
San Francisco vs St. Louis Edward Jones Dome

NakedDeadGuy’s tips for week 17:

Week 17
Giants
Oakland
Atlanta
Saints
Washington
Minnesota
Colts
Jets
Chicago
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Pats
Houston
Denver
San Diego
Rams

Originally posted by oh_my_hat
Well in case there was any doubt at all Winston has blown it to the schizenhausen here on in. This week shall be interesting to see who emerges from the pack to take 2nd.

Congrats to Winston Wolf for winning-- that's the extent of my concession speech, other than this competition has been an absolute gas this season.

However, I can still take 2nd, and I fully intend to do that,

My picks:

Sat, Dec 28 LOCATION
Philadelphia vs NY Giants, Giants Stadium
Kansas City vs Oakland, Network Associates Coliseum
Sun, Dec 29 LOCATION
Baltimore vs Pittsburgh, Heinz Field
Dallas vs Washington, FedEx Field
Tennessee vs Houston, Reliant Stadium
Cincinnati vs Buffalo, Ralph Wilson Stadium
Atlanta vs Cleveland, Cleveland Browns Stadium
Minnesota vs Detroit, Ford Field
Miami vs New England, Gillette Stadium
Carolina vs New Orleans, Superdome
Jacksonville vs Indianapolis, RCA Dome
Green Bay vs NY Jets, Giants Stadium
Arizona vs Denver, Invesco Field
Seattle vs San Diego, Qualcomm Stadium
Tampa Bay vs Chicago, Memorial Stadium
Mon, Dec 30 LOCATION
San Francisco vs St. Louis, Edward Jones Dome

Cheers,
William

Yes, it was fun and I enjoyed it, considering that I actually follow college more closely than I do the NFL.

I tend to make better sports tips when I haven't studied.

Merry XMAS & Season's Greetings to you all
May your team win and make it to the playoffs

:D :D :D

Week 17 Tips .......

Giants
Raiders
Pittsburgh
Washington
Titans
Buffalo
Atlanta
Vikings
Miami
Saints
Indy
Packers
Denver
San Diego
Bucs
49ers

GO FINS !!!
Grab that AFC East Crown !!!
and ..... Run Ricky !!! Run !!!

:D :D :D

You've done a great job, Hat. I have a couple of interesting ideas for next year, but there's plenty of time for that.

I'm going to have to throw in the towell for 2nd place. My picks this week aren't about who I think will win, but rather what teams I need to win to gain the most advantage for my various favorites (which includes the Chiefs flimsy mathematical odds of getting a WC berth).

Congrats Winston!

MOOSTER PICKS WEEK 17:

Philly
KC
Pittsburgh
Washington (can the Boys be swept?)
Tennessee
Buffalo
Atlanta
Minnesota
Miami
New Orleans
Indy
Green Bay
Arizona (you read that right. Arizona :eek: )
San Diego
Tampa

San Fran

Peace,

Thanks Mooster, I will be keen to hear your thoughts about next year and what we can do.

Did you see the rain and ground conditions at today's KC v oakland game? Atrocious.

My interest will shortly been gearing up to the Tigers fortunes on the 2003 AFL season but one eye will be trained on the NFL off season comings and goings. Campo out on Monday Parcells/Green/Turner in Monday at Valley Ranch?

Congrats once again Winston.

Oakland needs a new stadium, but even they know that. Playing in the rain like that can actually be quite fun unless you rely extensively on an air game. Once you get behind, hoping to catch up by passing is tough. In this game, Oakland had the run going, so they were able to control the clock and win. Because of key injuries, the Chiefs fielded their second string bench team for the most part. Aside from Green and Gonzales on O, and Maslowski and Browning on D, it was a pre-season game. If the Raiders couldn't beat that, they wouldn't deserve Home Field and a bye. I'm almost not mad at them....almost.

Next year KC has a pretty good shot at the Super Bowl IMO. We need a moderate improvement on Defense. If our D had prevented two less points per game, we would have 9 wins. If they could have stopped 4 less points per game, we would be 12-4 instead of 8-8. I'm happy with 8-8 for the moment. I'll be keenly awaiting the draft and free agency though.

I'm optimistic about the Tigers too. As you're aware, injuries were the difference for us going from 3rd place in 2001 to 3rd from bottom in 2002. From everything I'm reading, we've made some improvements to our ordinary mid-field. If we manage to stay healthy, I see Richmond rounding out the top 4 in 2003. Others may disagree, but we'll wait and watch it happen, eh? ;)

One of the things which can make next year's NFL comp a little interesting is to use a game rating system. Not only do you make your win/loss picks but you rank them in order of your certainty. If there are 16 games, there are 136 possible points for each person to earn for the week instead of 16 (one point per game)

The most points that can be earned by a single game is 16. That's your sure thing. You put your second favorite pick at the 15 spot - worth 15 points and so on all the way down to 1. So if you have 3 games you are not sure of, you put those in the 1, 2 & 3 spots respectively. If your are wrong about those tips, you're only out 6 points. If you are wrong about your fave pick, you've lost 16 points - on just one game.

It's kind of a cool system. Upsets can burn you, but the added dimension makes you look harder for upsets. Also (for example) two people can pick all the same teams but one. Depending on where the winner and loser placed this game on their lists, it can cause a small or very large point difference between them in the overall comp. So catching up - or falling behind - Winston becomes more dramatic.

Another bonus feature of doing it this way is that you can still pick your favorite team on a week you believe they will probably lose. You simply place them lower on your list. Today with all the injuries on the Chiefs side, playing Oakland away, I would still pick them. Just put them at 1 or 2.

I hope I've explained that well enough. Please ask if you have any questions. Peace & Go Tiges!

Mooster

Remove this Banner Ad

Back